Nobunaga's Ambition, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

GSP_37

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Anyone play these? I think they are based on historical warlords and history. I'm curious how the sequels differ from the first games if they are based on history. Do they just cover different periods?

I believe one is takes place in feudal Japan (NA) and the other China (R3K). I played the earlier versions of them. I think they stay within the same periods from game to game just change or add some mechanics... They are based on real history and people that did exist.

They are all based on Dynasty Warriors & Samurai Warriors by KOEI just have more of a strategy aspect to them over the Hack and Slash through giant mobs of enemies. Romance of the Three Kingdoms centers around the end of the Han Dynasty when Wei, Shu, and Wu fought each other over the control of China. The Wei was led by Cao Cao, the Shu by Liu Bei , and the Wu by Sun Quan. It's is mostly based of the novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms which was inspired by Records of the Three Kingdoms. Nobnaga's Ambition is similar where it's based on the Sengoku period in Japan with Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa just in a Romance of the Three Kingdoms style instead of a purely historical view.

They are all based on Dynasty Warriors & Samurai Warriors by KOEI just have more of a strategy aspect to them over the Hack and Slash through giant mobs of enemies. Romance of the Three Kingdoms centers around the end of the Han Dynasty when Wei, Shu, and Wu fought each other over the control of China. The Wei was led by Cao Cao, the Shu by Liu Bei , and the Wu by Sun Quan. It's is mostly based of the novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms which was inspired by Records of the Three Kingdoms. Nobnaga's Ambition is similar where it's based on the Sengoku period in Japan with Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa just in a Romance of the Three Kingdoms style instead of a purely historical view.
I borrowed it years ago and don't remember Romance of the Three Kingdoms stinking. I just don't remember a whole lot about the gameplay.

Anyone play these? I think they are based on historical warlords and history. I'm curious how the sequels differ from the first games if they are based on history. Do they just cover different periods?

Like Total War on roids, much more complicated

Loved ROTK, especially during the PS1/2 days, the problem was that they changed a lot game to game, so you'd get games where the battle system is well honed, but the politics and personal relationships are weak, or vice-versa. ROTK VII was my personal favorite, I feel it really nailed every aspect to a better degree.

Lu bu guan yu Zheng fe cao cao jou xia equals game domination

And blitzkreiging also works well too

Last edited:
Never played any of the main series games, but I love Pokemon spinoff called Pokemon Conquest.

I played the hell out of ROTK 2 for the SNES when I was a kid. Never give Lu Bu any troops in that game he always betrays you.

Back