Non-Combat sports with beneficial aspects.

Just something that popped into my head. What sports come to your mind and how do you think they would benefit fighters? For me personally, I think baseball and ballet would help. Baseball, because a pitcher would have a mean overhand, and ballet, because if you can translate that grace to the fight that just sounds incredibly useful.

PS. I don't know if this should really be in standup but i don't know where else it could go. Move it if you wanna but I think it kinda relates to training and I like the standup community.
<Fedor23>

i wasa pitcher i was throwing 85 at 13 years old in jr high got hurt and quit at 14 and got into boxing whats weird is it took me awhile to develop my right hand my left hook was my best punch for my first 3 years

ddr dancing made me have quick footwork i think and great reflex training

ddr dancing made me have quick footwork i think and great reflex training

I can agree that DDR probably helps with proprioception in the feet/legs but don't you start calling that dancing!

hand to eye coordination: table tennis. Imo nearly unmatched in this aspect.

Did not even think about this! Damn good point

2by.gif

I can agree that DDR probably helps with proprioception in the feet/legs but don't you start calling that dancing!
If this aint dancing I don't want to know what is:

i do it at home i have a 500dollar ddr pad at my house u can do your own custom songs and step files to make it anerobic or just coast great for foot work and reaction time if only people can get past the look of it it helped me alot i feel

Honestly, a lot of them. There's a reason that a great deal of athletes, at least in Russia and the US practiced multiple sports as children

I wonder if Michael flatley would be good at boxing and kickboxing.

I remember reading about a class that combined cardio barre and savate.

I think Lynn swann used to train in ballet.

Tango and salsa. Tango gives you an understanding of how to feel your partner's weight and how to shift yours, which is great for infighting. Salsa gives you footwork.
Olympic lifting for explosive power.
Posting on sherdog gives you an automatic 500-1 street fight record and and the ability to fill a room with uppercuts. Not to mention the all important 275 benchpress.

I wonder if Michael flatley would be good at boxing and kickboxing.

I remember reading about a class that combined cardio barre and savate.

I think Lynn swann used to train in ballet.

I believe Flatley used to be a golden gloves boxer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Flatley

Yep he was, chicago golden gloves, and I believe Chicago was pretty deep back then.

Tango and salsa. Tango gives you an understanding of how to feel your partner's weight and how to shift yours, which is great for infighting. Salsa gives you footwork.
Olympic lifting for explosive power.
Posting on sherdog gives you an automatic 500-1 street fight record and and the ability to fill a room with uppercuts. Not to mention the all important 275 benchpress.

I don't really like to bench press though because I'm afraid it would give me man boobs.
I believe Flatley used to be a golden gloves boxer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Flatley

Yep he was, chicago golden gloves, and I believe Chicago was pretty deep back then.

Cool. I wonder if "lord of the dance " was his ring name too. Irish riverdance looks like a lot of fun

You can get all sorts of neat benefits from various activities, but nothing is more time efficient at getting better at martial arts than
martial arts.

You might be an absolute freak athlete after twenty years in the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, but what would you look like in a fight with 20 years of MT and BJJ under your belt? (Forgetting that after twenty years of anything other than Tai Chi you're just broken.)

You can get all sorts of neat benefits from various activities, but nothing is more time efficient at getting better at martial arts than
martial arts.

You might be an absolute freak athlete after twenty years in the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, but what would you look like in a fight with 20 years of MT and BJJ under your belt? (Forgetting that after twenty years of anything other than Tai Chi you're just broken.)

Correct but doing MA can also burn out. After all its about fighting and that is only a small part of life and our talents.

Its great to know you can kind of stay sharp in aspects of ma with completely different interests and different kind of people.

Often its not that big of a help but you may stay years out of fighting and get new input from hobbies you never thought could be connected when you reenter ma training.

Trolling. It will improve your shit talking game.

When in camp. Half my routine is practicing trash talk.

Last edited:
Surprised no one mentioned basketball. I played basketball my whole life, feel that it translated a lot to boxing. The footwork drills we practiced and the tons of conditioning and explosive drill work, as well as eye/hand coordination drills, ambidexterity drills, etc.
Can't really speak for other sports, but basketball for sure translates to boxing in several ways. I heard Pac Man and Roy Jones Jr. loves them a game of hoops.

Handball:

My fighters and I play every two weeks, just played today. Then they do field workouts:

Some of them are getting very good at handball, especially when I told them that the experienced guys at the park we frequent hustle people for money, and I used to do that when I was in Middle School

Handball:

My fighters and I play every two weeks, just played today. Then they do field workouts:

Some of them are getting very good at handball, especially when I told them that the experienced guys at the park we frequent hustle people for money, and I used to do that when I was in Middle School

LOL arent you in Vegas. I was not aware they played this outside of NYC.

10 rounds a session working on making fun of manlets?
Train 2 days a week for 1h, and trash talk 7 days a week 20h a day. Research payak, John south, and karate stylist posts to help my game. Find new sherdog lingo to use at the weigh ins

Back