Non Structured training

FinalConflict2005

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I sometimes don’t follow a set routine. Day 1: 1 mile run followed by pushups, overhead barbell press, goblet squats and kettle bell swings Day 2: overhead barbell press, chin ups and farmers carry. Day 3: 1 mile run, 20lbs weighted vest squats, pushups and dumbbell push presses and whatever else.

I just kind of like to exhaust myself. Anyone else train like this? I feel strong, conditioned and happy.

Last edited:
this past few months ive been getting great results by just doing whatever exercises i feel like doing in a day. With absolutely no set routine i use a mixture of bodyweight kettlebell and barbell movements with some running mixed in.

I went through a phase where I was super burned out on keeping track of my numbers(reps, sets, poundage etc) so I decided go and switch things up for about 3 months. I lifted every other day and gave myself an hour to hit whatever lifts I wanted so long as I got a full body workout. I would do a lot of pyramids, drop sets, and paused reps. Some lifts I would go heavy, other times I would do more volume, and if I felt beat up I'd do an impromptu deload and just work on form.

After the hour of lifting was up I'd get on the airdyne for 10-15 minutes just to get my heart rate up with a few sprints thrown in there for good measure. I still made good progress and it seemed like I was able to build up some weak areas since my variety of exercises were hitting what appeared to be neglected muscles.

I went through a phase where I was super burned out on keeping track of my numbers(reps, sets, poundage etc) so I decided go and switch things up for about 3 months. I lifted every other day and gave myself an hour to hit whatever lifts I wanted so long as I got a full body workout. I would do a lot of pyramids, drop sets, and paused reps. Some lifts I would go heavy, other times I would do more volume, and if I felt beat up I'd do an impromptu deload and just work on form.

After the hour of lifting was up I'd get on the airdyne for 10-15 minutes just to get my heart rate up with a few sprints thrown in there for good measure. I still made good progress and it seemed like I was able to build up some weak areas since my variety of exercises were hitting what appeared to be neglected muscles.
I've been doing something similar for the last several months.

If I had seen it a few years ago I'd frown upon it, but now I'm enjoying myself and feel like I'm getting a more well-rounded strength program.

There is really something to be said for hitting a greater variety of joint angles and ranges of motion.

I've been doing something similar for the last several months.

If I had seen it a few years ago I'd frown upon it, but now I'm enjoying myself and feel like I'm getting a more well-rounded strength program.

There is really something to be said for hitting a greater variety of joint angles and ranges of motion.

I think it also helped me listen to my body. I know when I'm on a regimented routine I have the mindset that I MUST complete all prescribed reps and sets for a predetermined amount of weight on a given exercise. After a while I just end up grinding myself into a mushy paste of bone and muscle chasing those numbers. At that point I felt forced to take a deload. Not enjoyable and sometimes not always sustainable.

I've got a pretty structured routine now but if a piece of equipment is being used I don't let it bother me any more. I just do something different that will hit those muscles in a similar fashion.

I think it also helped me listen to my body. I know when I'm on a regimented routine I have the mindset that I MUST complete all prescribed reps and sets for a predetermined amount of weight on a given exercise. After a while I just end up grinding myself into a mushy paste of bone and muscle chasing those numbers. At that point I felt forced to take a deload. Not enjoyable and sometimes not always sustainable.

I've got a pretty structured routine now but if a piece of equipment is being used I don't let it bother me any more. I just do something different that will hit those muscles in a similar fashion.
Do you keep a training log?

After 10 years+ of training I found that a mixture of structure and non-structure is best.

For example right now I'm doing Push/Pull with 4 days a week (2x push, 2x pull).

On the PUSH days I do 5 x 5 Bench (increasing by 1% per workout) and on PULL days the same concept with Weighted Chin Ups.

On the PUSH days I do whatever I feel like for legs, as long as it's squat assistance (split squats, front squats, box squats, etc.) and whatever Bench assistance (press, pushdowns, raises, etc.) I feel like doing.

On the PULL days same principle, but for deadlift assistance (GHR, back extensions, RDL, etc.) and whatever Chin Up assistances (rows, face pulls, curls, etc.)

Sometimes I have as much time as I want to lift, so I'll do high volume high intensity. Other times I've had 4 hours of sleep and got 30 minutes to workout. So you can't really expect the same performance. I think you need a balance, the core of your program needs a structure, but for all assistance work you should go with the feels.

I love goblet squats.
v-up-press_thumb.gif

Back