Noobs Trying to Coach in the Gym

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
When you've taken some time off from the gym, and return there are inevitably new guys you've never seen before.

These guys sometimes have a misunderstanding of who should be playing the role of the teacher, and who should be in the role of the student. They've been there for about a month or two, and now they feel they should have a right to teach newer guys the proper techniques which they themselves probably don't know yet.

How do you address these guys without coming across as a dick?

Do they need to be talked to on the side, do you need to expose them in sparring, or do you focus on yourself and your own training?

How do you address these guys who are too green to know their right from their left in a fight but for some reason think they are sensei material?

When you've taken some time off from the gym, and return there are inevitably new guys you've never seen before.

These guys sometimes have a misunderstanding of who should be playing the role of the teacher, and who should be in the role of the student. They've been there for about a month or two, and now they feel they should have a right to teach newer guys the proper techniques which they themselves probably don't know yet.

Do they need to be talked to on the side, do you need to expose them in sparring, or do you focus on yourself and your own training?

How do you address these guys who are too green to know their right from their left in a fight but for some reason think they are sensei material?

you get this alot, also guys that while you are playing with them in sparring, have no idea you are playing with them in sparring, so are trying their best to ko you, while your just fucking with them. in the sparring situation you have to put them in their place. If they get too outta hand, i will usually land a hard kick to the leg or body, and then go back to playing with them. they usually get the idea and turn it down.

you get this alot, also guys that while you are playing with them in sparring, have no idea you are playing with them in sparring, so are trying their best to ko you, while your just fucking with them. in the sparring situation you have to put them in their place. If they get too outta hand, i will usually land a hard kick to the leg or body, and then go back to playing with them. they usually get the idea and turn it down.

Lol true. I had to ignore a guy today. Most of the time they don't even know what you're working on but they swear they have the answer. lol I just accept it for what it is. If it's of value I'll keep it. A lot of times it's not. The time I'd waste explaining why it's not would take me away from my whole point of being there---training. lol

Be a dick, fuck them.

Just be stern about it, yeah it'll across more "dick-like" but when you think about it, they're gonna end up wasting your time. You're paying the gym to learn material and an environment where you can practice, dipshit wannabe professor is taking that from you, so really he's wasting your money. Don't need that.

Its a meme in BJJ that when the guy's about to get subbed he calls timeout to address why your technique is wrong. fucking chump

I'm usually boxing, but I find a few good body shots soothe the savage noob.

The other side of the story is sometimes inexperienced people have great insights and can be worth listening too. Untrained people tend to think outside the box more.

Lol true. I had to ignore a guy today. Most of the time they don't even know what you're working on but they swear they have the answer. lol I just accept it for what it is. If it's of value I'll keep it. A lot of times it's not. The time I'd waste explaining why it's not would take me away from my whole point of being there---training. lol

my pet peeve is people that come and try to talk to me while im in the middle of training, like oh hey sure let me stop skipping rope so I can answer all your questions, or let me stop my bagwork to answer your questions. I dont mind talking with people, answering questions, helping out, giving pointers, etc. but theres a time and a place for it. If you are interrupting my training, its the wrong time.

The other side of the story is sometimes inexperienced people have great insights and can be worth listening too. Untrained people tend to think outside the box more.

ill take advice from anyone long as its good advice and not bs.

thinking outside the box is true, i find when i train with mma guys, they do outside the box type stuff on me, that could be considered a grey area in muay thai, not quite illegal, not MT, but still works.

nothing wrong with one beginner giving another beginner some friendly advice when the coach is not there. you dont have to be perfect yourself to see a mistake.

Plus if you can't control a beginner to give him a lesson without going all out and hurting him you should quit the sport because you've wasted your time.

nothing wrong with one beginner giving another beginner some friendly advice when the coach is not there. you dont have to be perfect yourself to see a mistake.

True, but if it's not rooted in truth or experience you'll build bad habits. I generally refrain from telling people what they should do, I tell them what works for me. I have my own style, and method of training that matches my body and personality type.

I've blacked one noob's eye, given another the rubber legs with a straight right that hit him so hard I felt pressure in my knuckles like I've never felt before with 16oz gloves. I've given another an unofficial standing eight count (backed off to my corner twice b/c he was gassed, not defending, and covering hunched over on the ropes--didn't feel necessary or right to keep punching his body). I've made another noob go an entire three rounds just missing shots to the point where he was tired after.

These guys, and lesser guys are the ones trying to give advice. So when you see it from a distance it's like "wait what?".

I'm nothing special myself. Don't get it wrong I can fight, and have experience. But I'm no two time regional champion like my bro, or a multi ammy national champ, Olympic alternate, and undefeated pro like our "gym leader".

When they see me working and have questions, if one of them is there I give them my advice on what works for me, and tell them go talk to them or the coach.

One time we had a noob try to argue with our two time regional champ on how to do something. Disrespect much? But like he said "hey! I don't know shit. Do you bro." lol.

I know I may seem passionate, but I see it so much, and I'm usually reserved on being the critic. Live, and let live. Yesterday a newer guy told me "your body punches are good, and hard but try to add in upstairs work as well"...…...bruhhhh, have you seen me throw a jab or a straight this entire round? I've planted my feet, my forehead is pressed against the bag, and each shot is meant to be thrown to the body.

I'M WORKING BODY PUNCHING!! He would've known that if he had asked me, instead of assuming he needed to play coach.

Okay, rant over. lol

True, but if it's not rooted in truth or experience you'll build bad habits. I generally refrain from telling people what they should do, I tell them what works for me. I have my own style, and method of training that matches my body and personality type.

I've blacked one noob's eye, given another the rubber legs with a straight right that hit him so hard I felt pressure in my knuckles like I've never felt before with 16oz gloves. I've given another an unofficial standing eight count (backed off to my corner twice b/c he was gassed, not defending, and covering hunched over on the ropes--didn't feel necessary or right to keep punching his body). I've made another noob go an entire three rounds just missing shots to the point where he was tired after.

These guys, and lesser guys are the ones trying to give advice. So when you see it from a distance it's like "wait what?".

I'm nothing special myself. Don't get it wrong I can fight, and have experience. But I'm no two time regional champion like my bro, or a multi ammy national champ, Olympic alternate, and undefeated pro like our "gym leader".

When they see me working and have questions, if one of them is there I give them my advice on what works for me, and tell them go talk to them or the coach.

One time we had a noob try to argue with our two time regional champ on how to do something. Disrespect much? But like he said "hey! I don't know shit. Do you bro." lol.

I know I may seem passionate, but I see it so much, and I'm usually reserved on being the critic. Live, and let live. Yesterday a newer guy told me "your body punches are good, and hard but try to add in upstairs work as well"...…...bruhhhh, have you seen me throw a jab or a straight this entire round? I've planted my feet, my forehead is pressed against the bag, and each shot is meant to be thrown to the body.

I'M WORKING BODY PUNCHING!! He would've known that if he had asked me, instead of assuming he needed to play coach.

Okay, rant over. lol

yeah I get that

instead of telling people what to do I'll tell them what not to do. even though my striking is bad I can still see if my training partner throws a punch or kick wrong. I just say that doesnt look right, you should ask one of the coaches to take a look.

It really depends on the situation and whether the advice given is correct.

Often the guys who haven’t been around a long time can help out the brand noobies with the very basic stuff.

I’ve been in gyms where the classes can be quite large and the coach’s attention is stretched quite thin, and correcting people on small things can be quite helpful in those situations.

I like the sparring partner who stops the sparring when it doesnt go in his favour to correct technical flaws in my striking :D
Besides that I am happy about anyone giving a honest critic. F.e. my problem at the moment is that I look were I want to punch and getting corrected with that helps as much from a beginner than from a coach.
@1:45min

I had a brilliant one at my gym years ago. This fat man who had been going to the gym for years mistakenly thought that because he had bee attending once a week for years that he was a fountain of knowledge...and also thought he was a good fighter.

My mate was sparring with him nice and light, and the fat man took a massive swing at him..after this happened a few times and my mate telling him to calm down....the inevitable happened and the fat man got dropped hard lol. Without skipping a beat the coach was returning from the bathroom and began counting "1....2....3..." lol. Fucking class.

Plus if you can't control a beginner to give him a lesson without going all out and hurting him you should quit the sport because you've wasted your time.
When you try 10-20 times to tell the MAYBE at best MW across from you ( a HW) to go 50% and he's winging punches at your head where you hear that "woosh" sound... You drop them. Sorry, most people only have so much patience with that shit in training and for some, the best way to learn is to have the better person level you.

Just play a long with it. When i forgot i had a contract with a gym, and i came back to it looking for a place to train. So when i came back, 99% of the people in there were new. So i just played a long with it. And then i went next door to the pizzeria and i told the gm over there that people thought i was new over their and i just played a long with it and he laughed.

So when we started sparring thats when people find out your more experienced.

Just play a long, with it and then wait until you spar then they'll know their place.

8rWSPVW.gif

Back