Northrop Grumman Engineer Fired over participation in Charlottesville Rally

This is nothing like that tho. This is a hate group, spewing hate speech, and looking to spread violence. They obviously train mma specifically for this reason. There is no comparison.

I agree - my initial post was more about balancing workers rights with employer rights and being cautious to not go too far with the employer right of modifying employee behavior.

While most don't care that this guy was sacked, the facts remain that he has a right to be an ignorant racist and that if he were a union employee he'd still have his job.

I agree - my initial post was more about balancing workers rights with employer rights and being cautious to not go too far with the employer right of modifying employee behavior.

While most don't care that this guy was sacked, the facts remain that he has a right to be an ignorant racist and that if he were a union employee he'd still have his job.

Probably not. And he can be a racist scum bag all he wants. But there are consequences for choosing that life style. Now he can go work at a gas station or flip burgers.

It was an example - the etc could extend to political affiliation, club memberships, pretty much anything. Ex: You voted for Trump then you're fired.

And the other part of the post is that union members are only canned if their actions happen at work or started at work.
Does union membership also prevent termination for off-site criminal activity?

I've known of this existing in the various AAU basketball leagues as well as the competitive volleyball clubs, etc. Never really considered it being something common in academic prep schools. I mean I knew the private school alums would take care of their own, but nothing on the scale you're describing.

The scale is what surprised me as well. I always assumed it was a handful of well-to-do kids and the schools existed to simply give them a place to not interact with the normal kids. But it goes so much deeper as they're actively crafting a separate social caste.

Seems like a quick way to get burnt out on "life" if you ask me . . . and realistically, they're only ahead of me if we're going into the same field and looking to do the same things in our future careers. :)

Maybe but one of the interesting outcomes I read is that while these kids don't outperform other kids in college, they do end up further up the food chain years later and that boils down to them taking care of their own and their own means kids from similar prep school backgrounds and similar college backgrounds. I don't know if they'll burn out on life. I imagine it's like the military, some people burn out of the military life but they take the skills and the network and apply them to a new facet of life.

I support the charlottesville protest 100%. Removing statues of any american historical figures is pure disrespect and should be attacked at will.

So no? Companies now own you outside of work too? That's great news. Should they check your credit card statement too, just to be sure they approve of how you spend your money? Catch you outside a strip club? Gone! How about a gay employee going to a pride march? Boss doesn't like it, so they're gone too. Meh, I don't like the church you go to, so you're fired.
That's right to work for you. Don't like it? There are alternatives but not sure you'd be a fan...

I support the charlottesville protest 100%. Removing statues of any american historical figures is pure disrespect and should be attacked at will.
so I take it you will defend the memorials to Harvey Milk, John Brown, Malcolm X or Eugene V Debs too? Thank you for the support, comrade.

Why? The people actually living in Charlottesville wanted it down and then a bunch of outsiders came in to cause a scene where someone ultimately ended up killed over it all. Fuck the Charlottesville protestors.

Why? The people actually living in Charlottesville wanted it down and then a bunch of outsiders came in to cause a scene where someone ultimately ended up killed over it all. Fuck the Charlottesville protestors.
If the people of Charlottesville actually wanted them down then they should have voted to take it down, not take them down by force. That's some Red Guard level shit.

If the people of Charlottesville actually wanted them down then they should have voted to take it down, not take them down by force. That's some Red Guard level shit.
The City Council appointed a commission and then voted after getting their recommendation. We don't put everything to a vote and that's how things are normally run so I see no issue with it. A city decided to remove statues that are on public property and outsiders come in looking for trouble and finding it. How can anyone support those protestors?

They are statues of traitors and enemies to the US. Losers shouldn't get trophies.

Willing to wager that he will be rehired or find an equally if not higher paying position within 6 months -- significant industry shortages in one of the most difficult professions.

The statues remaining is an insult . The US took part in bringing down Saddam's statue , so why the double standard here. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Those statues remaining is no different to Germany having Nazi or Wehrmacht statues.

Well, the Federal government used the National Guard to force Southern colleges and school accept Black kids. There was no vote on whether Southerners wanted to keep segregated schools.

Poor nazis...having to endure the social consequences of their evilness..

Does union membership also prevent termination for off-site criminal activity?

Unfortunately, unless he's charged and found guilty it probably doesn't matter what's on film.

Several workers at the truck plant near me were arrested (some at work) for dealing drugs - a few made deals and gave up suppliers to avoid prosecution and kept their jobs. Of course that may have more to do with how strong their particular union is.

They did; or rather their elected officials voted to take them down. You didn't see huge numbers of locals marching to keep them, though I'm sure many locals did want them to stay.

Honestly, if you look at the published arrests from that day the majority didn't even live in VA.

The statues remaining is an insult . The US took part in bringing down Saddam's statue , so why the double standard here. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Those statues remaining is no different to Germany having Nazi or Wehrmacht statues.

That isn't exactly true. The soldiers fighting for the south thought they had a legal right to succeed from the union - I tend to agree with them even if I don't accept their reasons for doing so.

The fact is that those soldiers fought for their states - which held more sway than country in the hearts and minds of the people at that time. After the war those same generals used their influence to heal the wounds of the war and reconcile the nation.

They did; or rather their elected officials voted to take them down. You didn't see huge numbers of locals marching to keep them, though I'm sure many locals did want them to stay.

Honestly, if you look at the published arrests from that day the majority didn't even live in VA.
Yep. From Unite the Right, two from Ohio, one from Georgia, one Maryland, one Florida. Also various charges against militias, but those were a little different.

Counter protestors were more likely to he from Virginia, but most of them weren't local, either. Harris is the only charlottesville arrestee that I remember.

Did you see this?
https://www.kpvi.com/news/national_...cle_9e0f539d-9eea-5fe2-8e29-90edbcc2c70a.html

this video has been released which seems to show the engineer defending a fellow protester from the guy he allegedly beat up

Back