NOT cutting weight becoming new meta?

Stipe - perfect HW size. Best HW's have historically been in the 240-250 range (Fedor, Cain, Werdum etc...)
DC - cuts a ton of weight to make 205, insanely drained at weigh-ins.
Whittaker - average sized MW, don't let his past as a WW fool you
Woodley - massive WW, also cuts tons of weight.
Khabib - He's a meme for missing weight
Holloway - Again, the guy is massive for his weight class. Move to 155 inevitable
TJ - Yeah maybe. He's not a huge 135'er.
MM - pretty much the only reasonable one.

Size matters, end of story.
Cormier cuts from 236 lbs and Woodley cuts from 190 lbs.

Bro....Holloway was on death's door trying to make 155 on a week's notice. He's said that he walks around at over 180lbs, which is HUGE for a Featherweight. I'd be shocked if Max was anything less than 170lbs on fight night.

Whittaker walks around at 216lbs and is 205 after he rehydrates, so he's not a small MW by any stretch of the imagination. Woodley is also huge for the weight class and so is Cormier.
In what world does Whittaker walk around 216 pounds?

Also, Holloway over 180 pounds is a bit of a stretch. 175-180 is more likely.

I was looking at the UFC champs the other night and I noticed something.. the newer champions DO NOT cut a lot of weight. Whittaker, Colby (whether or not you call him a champ), Stipe isn't necessarily the biggest HW and his mobility and speed for a HW is why he's so damn good, Max Holloway cuts like 15-20 lbs which isn't a lot, DJ doesn't cut that much either and neither does TJ. Those who cut maybe 10-20 lbs seem to have a huge cardio and speed advantage over their opponents. I also think this is the new trend with the wrestlers. Like Gregor Gillespie and Colby who aren't power wrestlers who cut 30-40 lbs like Johny but are tenacious chain wrestlers who will just keep shooting because they don't get tired. The power wrestling days I think are over because it only takes stuffing a few of their takedowns and they seem gassed. Is this the new meta?

I’m not so sure.

Stipe doesn’t matter because he’s a HW.

Max agreed to fight Khabib at 155, but he had no chance of getting to that weight within a week.

Nobody cuts 40 lbs.
There is dieting and then there is cutting.
If you cut 40 lbs of water, you will die.

I was looking at the UFC champs the other night and I noticed something.. the newer champions DO NOT cut a lot of weight. Whittaker, Colby (whether or not you call him a champ), Stipe isn't necessarily the biggest HW and his mobility and speed for a HW is why he's so damn good, Max Holloway cuts like 15-20 lbs which isn't a lot, DJ doesn't cut that much either and neither does TJ. Those who cut maybe 10-20 lbs seem to have a huge cardio and speed advantage over their opponents. I also think this is the new trend with the wrestlers. Like Gregor Gillespie and Colby who aren't power wrestlers who cut 30-40 lbs like Johny but are tenacious chain wrestlers who will just keep shooting because they don't get tired. The power wrestling days I think are over because it only takes stuffing a few of their takedowns and they seem gassed. Is this the new meta?
I think that's a fair assessment actually and I have not thought of that. I think it's ridiculous to cut more than say 15lbs. At the heavyweight level I think that's more realistic, but when have guys like khabib cutting 30lbs or more that's plain nuts.

I think that's a fair assessment actually and I have not thought of that. I think it's ridiculous to cut more than say 15lbs. At the heavyweight level I think that's more realistic, but when have guys like khabib cutting 30lbs or more that's plain nuts.
in college wrestling cutting more than 15-20 lbs was a BAD idea and the top college wrestlers rarely cut more than 10 lbs. I'm excited for Gregor's next fight btw I wanna see him put the pace and chain wrestle a top 15 guy to further test this.

in college wrestling cutting more than 15-20 lbs was a BAD idea and the top college wrestlers rarely cut more than 10 lbs. I'm excited for Gregor's next fight btw I wanna see him put the pace and chain wrestle a top 15 guy to further test this.
I watched gillespie live in charlotte back in January and then watched him fight recently on tv. He's got a lot of potential. The biggest problem I see is that weight class is stacked like hell

I watched gillespie live in charlotte back in January and then watched him fight recently on tv. He's got a lot of potential. The biggest problem I see is that weight class is stacked like hell
True I actually don't think it's that top heavy it's just so deep.

Max cuts 40+ lbs
Dc cuts about the same
Whitaker cuts 30lbs

Fail thread is fail

Tj doesnt cut alot?? Do you believe that he looks the same year round?? I wouldnt be surprised if he weighed 180+ during his offseason. Wrestlers are known to be the biggest weight cutters.

Only real answer is Frankie Edgar.

When you cut essentially no weight and become champ of a stacked division that is all larger than you, I think that says everything you need to know.

Max is huge for a featherweight. Hes so big he couldn't even cut to lw without months of notice

Yeah I fixed the title for you, even though I'm pretty sure you made it like that on purpose, so that this thread would not be completely derailed by it.
Boooo

Back