Not doing bjj anymore just MT

DarkNoise

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So back story I trained bjj for years and was blue belt. Took a 9yr break. I started doing MT and love it.ive been doing MT for a year. I feel like I should also train im BJJ. But I have no drive to anymore, and just want to do MT. Im also 31 now and kinda worried about injuries in bjj. Idk maybe Im nervous or my ego is saying I wont be as good anymore in bjj. I guess my question is how many of you trained ground fighting and then decided striking was better for you? What are your reasons for not crosstraining.

BJJ for me has always been unintutive for me, I'd take longer than most to get the technical details down. Me peesoanlly, wrestling and Kickboxing came very natural

I ended up with striking because if injuries, when i started, we had nothing but retarded BJJ gym warriors and I'd get injured frequently. Oddly I was injured, but I could still strike. Eg. Left shoulder was wrecked, but I could still kick, knee, throw rights

Eventually I decided to compete since guys newer than me were and I didnt want to feel left behind. Then competition after competition kept coming up, and before I knew it, It was 2 years straight of doing pure striking/MT.

I do get the BJJ bug and go back every now and then. I do mma spar/train as well, but when events pop up for MT, I'm out of mma for awhile.

Im super worried about knee injuries/ shoulder stuff. There is always one guy in class no matter what gym who gets off popping peoples joints.

Plus learning grappling for self defense i feel like all you need to know is basics. Im not going to reverse triangle someone in the middle of the street, but I would do a flying knee hahaha.

So back story I trained bjj for years and was blue belt. Took a 9yr break. I started doing MT and love it.ive been doing MT for a year. I feel like I should also train im BJJ. But I have no drive to anymore, and just want to do MT. Im also 31 now and kinda worried about injuries in bjj. Idk maybe Im nervous or my ego is saying I wont be as good anymore in bjj. I guess my question is how many of you trained ground fighting and then decided striking was better for you? What are your reasons for not crosstraining.
You could try wrestling to give a grappling aspect to your striking, but that's hard to find for 30 year olds. just do what you want. You won't get better at bjj if you don't wanna be there or you don't enjoy it. More likely to get injured like that to.

Plus learning grappling for self defense i feel like all you need to know is basics. Im not going to reverse triangle someone in the middle of the street, but I would do a flying knee hahaha.
I just worry about controlling the position I hardly even go for subs unless they are served on a platter. Gnp ftw.
<{JustBleed}>

You could try wrestling to give a grappling aspect to your striking, but that's hard to find for 30 year olds. just do what you want. You won't get better at bjj if you don't wanna be there or you don't enjoy it. More likely to get injured like that to.
Fake IDs bruh. Drop by a school and say you're a big kid

You don't need that ground cuddling crap anyway......

not sure what your trying to do with MT, but if you will be sparring, you will most likely be getting more injuries in MT than BJJ. in BJJ, unless the guy is a douche, you tap, it stops. This is one of the reasons BJJ is so much more popular than striking. I plan to do BJJ when I stop fighting. I have done it a bit and been around it alot to have a fair understanding of the sport I would say.

not sure what your trying to do with MT, but if you will be sparring, you will most likely be getting more injuries in MT than BJJ. in BJJ, unless the guy is a douche, you tap, it stops. This is one of the reasons BJJ is so much more popular than striking. I plan to do BJJ when I stop fighting. I have done it a bit and been around it alot to have a fair understanding of the sport I would say.

Blasphemy...........you will not become a ground monkey, Just Bleed God will not allow it!!!!!

This I disagree with. My big injuries have come from grappling and BJJ

Guys see something on YT and try it in practice while not knowing how to do it properly, and I didn't know how to roll with it and got injured.

I remember getting judo tossed and didn't know how to defend, I almost tore my shoulder.

Another one was I went for a single it was loose as I was green at it. Guy goes for a rolling kimura as a counter , and I face planted while he fell further really fucking up my shoulder.

My first time learning leg locks, and this guy did a sambo knot, he didnt know about it well, so even though I tapped, the lock was tight and it took 2s longer to get it out. My knee got messed a bit

Then theres the guard jumping knee injuries I've seen and heard from other gyms

The biggest injury I got in MT came from competing and it was a bruised rib

Guys see something on YT and try it in practice while not knowing how to do it properly, and I didn't know how to roll with it and got injured.

I remember getting judo tossed and didn't know how to defend, I almost tore my shoulder.

Another one was I went for a single it was loose as I was green at it. Guy goes for a rolling kimura as a counter , and I face planted while he fell further really fucking up my shoulder.

My first time learning leg locks, and this guy did a sambo knot, he didnt know about it well, so even though I tapped, the lock was tight and it took 2s longer to get it out. My knee got messed a bit

yeah i can see your points, the injuries in BJJ can be very bad if someone doesnt stop when you tap, or like you said if you dont roll with it. like you said though, the injuries came from a spaz, or someone not knowing what they are doing etc. At the same time a world class black belt can roll with a child, teach the child, and not hurt the child either. It just depends on your training partners. much in the same manner as MT.

I guess my question is how many of you trained ground fighting and then decided striking was better for you? What are your reasons for not crosstraining.

To answer the last question first, I have a grappling background in wrestling and Judo, BJJ guys will get stuffed harder than Demian Maia in his last 3 fights.

I started in TKD and Judo in my youth, then continued with TKD and kickboxing while wrestling in high school. I found that punching and kicking other guys was more fun than playing twister, so I continued with striking arts up until recently whereas I haven't touched grappling since high school wrestling. Injury wise, probably about the same, nothing really serious but I've done striking for over twice as long as I've done grappling.

Based off the little I know. I think you get bumps and bruises from mt. Maybe broken bones if hit hard enough or break hands. Bjj you get some idiot going nutz and put you in knee bar and pop!!! Your done for a year. Idk maybe my paranoid/ getting old. But right now I love MT and maybe Im trying to find reason not to do bjj. Id just hate to get injured long term because of bjj and not be able to do MT. Right now i can only do it once or twice a week. Which sucks but im still happy im doing it.

Good MMA gyms have wrestling classes.

Shitty MMA gyms are basically BJJ schools with a little MT.

Lol - BJJ injury rate is higher than MT, dude.

Head trauma is a different story, however.

Bingo.

Shitty MMA gyms are basically BJJ schools with a little MT.
And alot of times they're not really "mma" either as those places never blend them. They're more like multiple martial arts instead of mixed

Back