Not doing bjj anymore just MT

not sure what your trying to do with MT, but if you will be sparring, you will most likely be getting more injuries in MT than BJJ. in BJJ, unless the guy is a douche, you tap, it stops. This is one of the reasons BJJ is so much more popular than striking. I plan to do BJJ when I stop fighting. I have done it a bit and been around it alot to have a fair understanding of the sport I would say.

Nah from both talking to other mma fighters, and from last year trying to convert to mma, its from grappling, wrestling, and mma sparring the worst and most often injuries are.

I also hear really high level MMA fighters say that in interviews.

Nah from both talking to other mma fighters, and from last year trying to convert to mma, its from grappling, wrestling, and mma sparring the worst and most often injuries are.

Are you still turning over to the dark side?

injuries definitely happen but it depends on how the people are rolling. Theres kids that are way to "soft" for boxing, the type that would cry if punched, that do BJJ all the time. If its controlled, slow pace, with a non-douche, you should be able to remain injury free.......although i guess the same could be said for MT as well. lol.

injuries definitely happen but it depends on how the people are rolling. Theres kids that are way to "soft" for boxing, the type that would cry if punched, that do BJJ all the time. If its controlled, slow pace, with a non-douche, you should be able to remain injury free.......although i guess the same could be said for MT as well. lol.
I find freak accidents in grappling are more serious than MT. Tired/sloppy takedowns in practice at a bad angle and it could really blow knees out. Esp. if they drill like crosshit. More reps for time vs quality. For me MT injuries in training is with sweeps with clumsy partners; Instead to sweeping me out right, they end up full force hitting me on the side of the knee. I used to bring the knee pads and double up on my shinguards out when I had to be paired with certain people, that felt weird.

These days I don't get injured in BJJ too often, but thats because I have exp now and can intuitively know how to roll a certain way, but going back to when I was green and didn't that's when alot of injuries hpapen, and I'm not an outlier, BJJ is unintuitive to alot of people as well.

I just worry about controlling the position I hardly even go for subs unless they are served on a platter. Gnp ftw.
<{JustBleed}>
Posts like this keep me coming back to sherdog year after year! Good shit.

I find freak accidents in grappling are more serious than MT. Tired/sloppy takedowns in practice at a bad angle and it could really blow knees out. Esp. if they drill like crosshit. More reps for time vs quality. For me MT injuries in training is with sweeps with clumsy partners; Instead to sweeping me out right, they end up full force hitting me on the side of the knee. I used to bring the knee pads and double up on my shinguards out when I had to be paired with certain people, that felt weird.

These days I don't get injured in BJJ too often, but thats because I have exp now and can intuitively know how to roll a certain way, but going back to when I was green and didn't that's when alot of injuries hpapen, and I'm not an outlier, BJJ is unintuitive to alot of people as well.

its funny because im personal friends with some BJJ black belts i could have learned BJJ for free if i was interested in it at the time and been a "whatever" belt by now, but I had no interest in it at the time. I have rolled a handful of times and appearently i learn quick. I relate it to clinching with your whole body on the ground, lol.

Are you still turning over to the dark side?

Nope. I train mma now and then just to be able to do something on the ground. But i am not a person that lie to myself. A pro mma fight at this stage in my life is not realistic.

I aint no Bernard Hopkins. at 39.5 years old. With Bekhterev's disease, two kids, a normal job, its impressive enough just staying in shape and holding my muay thai sharp.

And alot of times they're not really "mma" either as those places never blend them. They're more like multiple martial arts instead of mixed
Very true.

MMA is still a young sport. I am positive MMA gyms in the future will be better with truly blending the art (i.e. BJJ with strikes, wrestling with dirty boxing, and striking with shooting and sprawling etc.).

Back