Not enough is made of the fact that their are bad cops AND good cops...

truthisfreedom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm friends with a guy who's been on a local pd force for 8 years. He's a good guy, and a good cop. He tells me that there are 2 types of people who join the police force. The first is idealists.....people who truly want to make their communities a better place. These guys are the ones who end up being great cops and guardians of their communities.

The second type is the narcissistic asshole who joins simply because they are bitter about their lives, and just want to exert power over others. These are the guys who tend to be racist/ chauvinist and end up on the 8 oclock news for shooting black guys during traffic stops.

In this entire conversation, I dont feel enough attention is given to the good cops who try their hardest to uphold the law and protect their communities. I feel that the problem may lay in the hiring process and catching the latter type of people who try to join the police force.

Thoughts?

I agree but we need to see more of the good cops calling out the bad ones. Until then many people see them as mostly bad.

In b4, good people on both sides

I agree but we need to see more of the good cops calling out the bad ones. Until then many people see them as mostly bad.

In b4, good people on both sides

This is actually a great point. Most cops remain strangely muted when a bad cop is exposed....

Until they start policing and openly criticizing and prosecuting the "bad ones", the "good ones" are cowards and complicit.

It has been brought up in every discussion about bad cops that I have ever been involved in. As a caveat, it's pretty much a formality.

This is actually a great point. Most cops remain strangely muted when a bad cop is exposed....

In my town ALL the cops that I have met are wonderful people. I also live in a neighborhood where the worst crime is a drunk driver passing through on occasion so there is no reason for the cops to act like idiots. I would think that working in a city like Baltimore or Chicago would harden even the nicest of police officers but maybe they should be rotated or something.

Imagine working in the inner cities of Chicago for 25 or 30 years so I can see how it happens but I think the police culture sometimes is "us vs them" and when police start seeing themselves as something other than civilians we got problems

My question to your friend would be how many times has he reported these bad cops? When you allow these cops to continue working and don't at the very least file a complaint or let the upper management know he's no good your part of the problem.

But not liberals right???

Nope. Liberals never put a president that lies 5 times a day in office. Or one that obstructed justice either. When they do and the congressional dems don't call them out I'll comment on that but until then...

Nope. Liberals never put a president that lies 5 times a day in office. Or one that obstructed justice either. When they do and the congressional dems don't call them out I'll comment on that but until then...

But they almost did with Hillary. They tried pretty damn hard.

unfortunately relying on police to self correct isn't a realistic viable answer. If you put people in a common task for extended periods of time to the point that there is generational tradition the idea that "the good ones need to report the bad ones" isn't really realistic. There's a reason police have internal affairs, there's a reason there are community task forces. "Good cops" will feel pressure to protect each other, they will see a person that for all the time they've known them they were "good people" have a moment of impropriety. You are all expecting them to just turn on someone they have known and in most likelihood interact with on a social level in favor of people that they don't know, generally have a negative view of (police for the most part see us at our worst, this has a jading affect on them).

The advent of social media and cell phone cameras have been a more productive deterrent than "good cops outing bad cops". There needs to be more community involvement, community outreach and task forces, there needs to be more recruitment of more local people, the fact that a community that has a majority African American doesn't have a majority African American police force is part of the problem.

This is coming all coming from someone that has a pretty negative view of police.

Maybe if the good cops started pressing charges on the bad cops the good cops might get more sympathy?

I mean it's well within their power.

The truth is the good and bad cops enjoy their position in the country and work together to protect it.

Just like every bureaucracy, no matter how large or small.

hqdefault.jpg

Back