Not enough is made of the fact that their are bad cops AND good cops...

haha if it makes you feel better to equate the two it's all good but what do you think would happen if the congress was controlled by Dems? Trump would have already been gone so I wouldn't get too excited.

Also one of them has actually read the constitution.

And why won't Trump be questioned under oath again?
Holy shit you're a dork. No offense.

Those good cops are awfully quiet about the bad ones. It makes it look like a "don't rock the boat" type situation.

I'm friends with a guy who's been on a local pd force for 8 years. He's a good guy, and a good cop. He tells me that there are 2 types of people who join the police force. The first is idealists.....people who truly want to make their communities a better place. These guys are the ones who end up being great cops and guardians of their communities.

The second type is the narcissistic asshole who joins simply because they are bitter about their lives, and just want to exert power over others. These are the guys who tend to be racist/ chauvinist and end up on the 8 oclock news for shooting black guys during traffic stops.

In this entire conversation, I dont feel enough attention is given to the good cops who try their hardest to uphold the law and protect their communities. I feel that the problem may lay in the hiring process and catching the latter type of people who try to join the police force.

Thoughts?

I agree man. and nice avatar! one of favorites

I'm friends with a guy who's been on a local pd force for 8 years. He's a good guy, and a good cop. He tells me that there are 2 types of people who join the police force. The first is idealists.....people who truly want to make their communities a better place. These guys are the ones who end up being great cops and guardians of their communities.

The second type is the narcissistic asshole who joins simply because they are bitter about their lives, and just want to exert power over others. These are the guys who tend to be racist/ chauvinist and end up on the 8 oclock news for shooting black guys during traffic stops.

In this entire conversation, I dont feel enough attention is given to the good cops who try their hardest to uphold the law and protect their communities. I feel that the problem may lay in the hiring process and catching the latter type of people who try to join the police force.

Thoughts?

How many of these "narcissist assholes" has your "good cop" friend testified against or arrested?

You're not a good cop if you see bad things happening and don't don anything about it.

Thoughts?

There are more than just those two types. Those are the extremes, and there are all matter of in betweens in the police world. Action junkies, someone just looking for a job/pension, someone who watches too many cop shows, someone who was a victim and wants to help other victims, etc

My point is that everyone has their own reason, reasons that are far too complex to fit into two neat categories.

Me? I became a cop 16 years ago because I always had a strong moral compass, and it made me mad when I saw people acting like thugs, driving like assholes, and I wanted to do something about it-but I also was an avid reader and enjoyed cop stories like James Patterson, Nelson demille, and enjoyed cop movies. I am very much the idealist, and have been through different phases in my career. The action junkie phase, the going after drug dealers phase, the community oriented policeman, the supervisor, the mentor, and the disgruntled cop.

Thoughts?

Is HR able to pick out the two types of personalities that you describe during the hiring process?

How many of these "narcissist assholes" has your "good cop" friend testified against or arrested?

You're not a good cop if you see bad things happening and don't don anything about it.

There is a huge misconception that the bad cops do bad things in front of other cops. They don’t. They may have a partner that has similar opinions, but aside from maybe a pig-pile and a little extra force, bad cops are very careful about how they act in front of other cops.

Maybe if the good cops started pressing charges on the bad cops the good cops might get more sympathy?

I mean it's well within their power.

The truth is the good and bad cops enjoy their position in the country and work together to protect it.

Prosecutors press charges. Police make arrests.

The fact is police officers accused of crimes are convicted at a higher rate than the general public.

But being a dickhead isn’t illegal. Good cops rely on the public to complain about dickhead cops, then internal affairs can investigate and management can fire them if there are enough complaints or if they committed a crime can be arrested.

I wasn’t aware that being a “narcissist asshole” was an arrestable offense...

Sort of like Muslims
Except most Muslims aren't institutionally linked to other Muslims. There's no Muslim internal affairs or Muslim complaint form to fill out.

And even still many Muslim communities do cooperate with authorities. IIRC the cunt who ran over people in London was reported by attendees at one of the mosques he attended but since he hadn't committed a crime yet there was little the authorities could do. This myth of "Where are da Moslems condemning terrorism?" needs to be put to rest.

You know you are old when the cops that arrest you are younger than you

Back