Now that Professor Ricardo Liborio has left American Top Team ..

Shaolin Bushido

Yamato Damashii
@Gold
Reaction score
full
lib.jpg
.. it would be great if he and Master Mario Sperry re-joined their brother again in helming BTT!!!

I actually think this will happen. Murilo has always said, he is merely the current manager of the team that he and his brothers started; Not the sole leader. The bottom photo shows the great Ricardo Arona (3rd from left) with from left to right Masters Murilo Bustamante, Ricardo Liborio and on the far right, Mario Sperry. Also included in the leadership of the original BTT was Roberto Bebeo Duarte in the top photo with Ze Mario (center) and Murilo on the right. He's still aligned with BTT and working with fighters in Las Vegas.

Last edited:
Did he officially leave? I thought he was running the academy in orlando

He put out a detailed message on facebook saying he was leaving and haven't heard anything to the contrary since.

http://floridammaevents.com/ricardo-liborio-announces-departure-att/
Ricardo Liborio announces departure from American Top Team

Ricardo Liborio earned his black belt from Carlson Gracie in 1993 after a dozen years of training and went on to co-found Brazil Top Team in 2000, along with Murilo Bustamante, Luis Duarte, and Mario Sperry. In 2001 Liborio founded American Top Team, along with American hotel executive Dan Lambert, who himself was a student, and in management.

American Top Team
The team is currently one of the best, or the best in mixed martial arts, with three UFC champions. There are now over 40 ATT affiliate gyms, with a 20,000 square foot headquarters in Coconut Creek, Florida. However, in an unexpected turn of events, Ricardo Liborio announced he has left ATT. The news came after ATT fighter Colby Covington’s ugly outburst in Brazil at UFC Fight Night 119 on Saturday.

“I feel that I must make a statement in light of the comments made by Colby Covington along with the amount of messages sent to me from Brazil, the United States, and from all over the world,” wrote Liborio on his social network, in English and Brazilian Portuguese.

“I’m here to state that I am no longer with American Top Team. Also, I absolutely do not condone any behavior that instigates hate, prejudice, or bullying of any kind. It upsets me to see the sport taking this direction of blatant disrespect. It’s unsportsmanlike, but it also fosters and promotes a culture of cruelty towards others. Combat Sports should always represent the qualities of humility, empathy, and respect.

“I dedicated my life to the Martial arts, and to the formation and growth of this team. I can’t discuss the reasons for my departure from ATT. At some point, I will. For the time being, I want the members of ATT to know that they will always be in my heart.” – Ricardo Liborio.

I don't think he's returning though anything can happen:

http://floridammaevents.com/fellow-...ardo-liborios-departure-dates-back-two-years/
ATT co-founder Dan Lambert clarifies Ricardo Liborio’s departure dates back two years
Dan Lambert – Co Founder of ATT

American Top Team co-founder Dan Lambert was shocked when he learned that Ricardo Liborio today announced his departure from the team – shocked because it’s hardly a recent development, Lambert said.

“(Liborio) left two years ago,” Lambert said. “He moved to Orlando, three hours north of here, for family issues. I made a deal with him, I said, ‘OK, I’ll keep you on the payroll. Just come down a couple days a week and train guys.’ He never came down. He got too busy up there, so I kept him on the payroll for over a year to help him out, and then earlier this year we ended it because he just hadn’t been down. But that was months and months and months ago.”

Ricardo Liborio
Liborio, 50, helped co-found the Florida-based American Top Team in 2001. While not always the most visible of the team’s coaches, American Top Team’s fighters have always pointed out the Carlson Gracie black belt’s value as an instructor.

However, in recent years he began to step away from the team in order to care for his daughter, Bella, who lost her sight due to a condition known as craniosynostosis. However, the team never made a formal announcement regarding Liborio’s departure.

Today, Liborio – a Brazilain native – took to social media to clarify that he was no longer part of the team while also condemning American Top Team fighter’s Colby Covington for his recent insults directed toward Brazil and its residents. While he stated that he could “not discuss at this time the reasons for my departure from ATT,” linking the announcement with his condemnation of Covington’s antics led some to believe the departure was recent, and perhaps even related, which Lambert said was certainly not the case.

In the meantime, Lambert said it’s business as usual for the powerhouse gym, which sees fighters train under instructors such as Marcus “Conan” Silveira and Mike Brown.

Colby Covington
As for Covington, Lambert said he understands “Chaos” certainly rubbed people the wrong way but believes some reaction may be slightly overblown.

“About his fight, I thought (Covington) did very well – as well as we could have expected,” Lambert said. “He stuck to his gameplan and fought smart and beat a guy who’s, in my mind, a Hall of Famer. As far as what he said afterwards, I think I’m kind of in the middle. There’s people on the one extreme end who want him killed or fired or dragged through he streets of Rio de Janeiro and declared a racist, and then you’ve got people on the other end who think it’s hilarious and think it’s true. I’m kind of in the middle. I think it’s just a young kid trying to get his name out there and stirring the pot and playing on people’s emotions to get his name in the news.

“They’re words. Do I agree with his words? I’m never going to come out and say I agree with his words. Come on. But at the end of the day, they’e just words from some kid who’s trying to get his name out there and trying to draw some attention to himself. It is what it is. I don’t like football players kneeling on Sundays when the national anthem plays, especially on 9/11 or Veterans Day, but you know what? I’m not going to call for them to be fired or killed or anything of the like. It’s their right to say what they want to say.”

And while Liborio is no longer a part of American Top Team, Lambert said he wasn’t upset at the co-founder’s reactions to the fast-rising welterweight contender.

“I wasn’t put off by him condemning what Colby said,” Lambert said. “That’s a normal reaction for somebody to have, especially for somebody from the country. Everybody is entitled to their opinion on that.”

Last edited:
Classy I guess this is 2017's version of dropping to your knees and begging with hands clasped. :sniper:
http://floridammaevents.com/covington-response/
Colby Covington: ‘Conman’ Ricardo Liborio is ‘trying to use my name and my fame’

Colby Covington has some choice words for Ricardo Liborio.

Covington responded to the American Top Team (ATT) co-founder’s criticism of the UFC welterweight contender for his post-fight antics at UFC Fight Night 119 last weekend. After his win over Demian Maia, Covington called Brazil a “dump” and the Sao Paulo crowd “filthy animals.”

Liborio, who also revealed he is no longer a coach at ATT, said in a statement he does not condone Covington’s behavior after the Maia win.

Covington, though, doesn’t care about what Liborio thinks of him.
Covington said that Liborio has not coached at ATT for the better part of two or three years, confirming ATT owner Dan Lambert’s claim. Lambert told MMAjunkie.com that Liborio moved away from Coconut Creek for family reasons two years ago but was kept on the payroll at first. After being told to coach a few times per week and not showing up to classes, Liborio was finally removed from the payroll earlier this year.

“Ricardo Liborio is a joke,” Covington told BloodyElbow.com. “That guy’s been out of ATT for over two, three years. That guy’s a complete joke trying to use my name and my fame and the stuff with Brazil to put him over and make him look like the good guy from ATT.

“He’s been out of ATT for a while; he was using Dan Lambert, the ATT owner. He was using Dan. He was picking up these paychecks two or three years ago, never showing up to work. That guy is a conman, he’s a scumbag, and he’s acting like a piece of sh-t trying to use my name to put him over.”

Like Liborio, several ATT fighters, including Brazilians in women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes and Antonio Silva, expressed their disappointment with their teammate’s post-fight words. But Covington sticks with just a handful of people when training at ATT, he said, and doesn’t care about what non-training partners say or think. Anyone who criticized his post-fight interview, Covington said, are “haters” and “marks.”

“I’m ATT to the bone. I have my close circle of people, my clique — Jorge Masvidal, Mike Brown, Dan Lambert,” Covington said. “I’m not friends with everybody. It’s a gym, but this is a one-man sport.”

Colby said it is important to have a small group of people to regularly train with at such a large and commercialized gym like ATT has become. If a fighter tries to train with everyone, he said, they’ll face certain consequences.

“You don’t need a big group; people are always gonna try to use you and do bad things,” Covington said. “There’s always going to be cliques — everywhere you go, there’s gonna be cliques, there’s gonna be people that gravitate towards each other. We have different people from different countries, so people are gonna take sides. It is what it is. You’re just seeing people take sides from what happened with my incident in Brazil last weekend.”

by Nick Baldwin@NickBaldwinMMA

See Ricard Liborio statements here http://floridammaevents.com/ricardo-liborio-announces-departure-att/

https://talesfmv.com/2015/08/27/firewater-ricardo-liborio/
Ricardo Liborio, The Heart of American Top Team

I know Ricardo Liborio as a kind, generous man with a sweet, supportive nature. Being a fan of Mixed Martial Arts, I was aware of American Top Team’s reputation as a top notch gym and for coaching elite athletes like Robbie Lawler, Tyron Woodley, and Jorge Masvidal to name just a few.

I was unaware of Mr. Liborio’s status as a martial artist until I casually mentioned him to a few friends who study grappling.

Each and every person I know in the Jiu Jitsu community reacted to the news that I count Mr. Liborio as a friend with awe, envy, and in some cases, downright hero worship. Not because he’s a founder of American Top Team, nor a coach to many of their elite fighters, but due to his own athletic accomplishments.

“Without Master Liborio, and the team he helped to create, I don’t know that I would’ve progressed as a martial artist. It’s very rare that you feel like family, but Liborio makes it irresistible.” -Jorge Masvidal

Curious, I asked a friend, writer and Jiu Jitsu practitioner Diami Virgilio, to explain why the name Ricardo Liborio inspired instant respect with my somewhat jaded male friends. This is what he wrote:

Ricardo Liborio Career Retrospective
By Diami Virgilio
There are names that are spoken of in hushed tones in gyms where men and women learn what it means to not give up. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has its heroes; athletes who ascend to the pinnacle of the competition circuit or transition successfully into mixed martial arts. Their names are invoked in casual conversation when discussing how to set up a new technique or execute a match-ending submission.

But there is a still higher pantheon of Jiu Jitsu masters. Their feats are near mythical and their abilities merge with their personas to cast a larger than life shadow across the whole of the sport. American Top Team founder Ricardo Liborio is such a man.

“Master Libo is a man who you don’t want to cross, very dangerous physically but if you cross him you’d be missing out on the best friend that you could ever have. Master Libo is the epitome of loyalty and kindness.” –Daniel Straus

Liborio began his Jiu Jitsu career under the tutelage of the great Carlson Gracie, son of the founder of Gracie Jiu Jitsu. Due to his childhood background in judo and his facility for grasping techniques quickly, Liborio became one of Carlson’s prize students. His reputation quickly spread as one of Carlson’s fiercest competitors in all of Brazil.

Very early in his career, Liborio was talked about by his trainer and many of his peers as possibly the greatest of his generation. At the inaugural Brazilian Jiu Jitsu World Championships in 1996, Liborio entered two weight classes above his usual division and dismantled the competition. He captured a gold medal in the 100 kg weight class, closed out the open weight division with his teammate Amaury Bitteti and was voted most technical competitor.
As Carlson’s focus shifted increasingly to MMA in the mid-90s, Liborio became one of the main instructors at the academy. He continued his competition success at the World Submission Wrestling Championships hosted by the Abu Dhabi Combat Club, taking third place in 1999 and second in 2000.

The legend of his otherworldly skills only grew during this period as Liborio would disappear from the academy for weeks or months at a time due to a full time job at a Brazilian bank. According to lore, he would come in on lunch breaks, change his clothes and tear through some of the toughest fighters in the world in minutes before re-robing and heading back to the office.

“Master Liborio is the father of our gym. He has the most amazing character, soul, mind. He is the most giving human being. His whole family is beautiful. I’m privileged just to know him.” – Hayder Hassan

Following a schism with his trainer, Liborio went on to found the Rio Jiu Jitsu Club and then later the Brazilian Top Team (BTT) with his old teammates. He became the primary Jiu Jitsu instructor at BTT, developing the grappling game of their MMA fighters while helping coach Jiu Jitsu competitors such as Fernando Margarida Pontes and Ricardo Arona to World Championships.

att-460082290.jpg

In 2002, Liborio decided to pursue new opportunities in the United States, opening the American Top Team (ATT) with Dan Lambert and Marcus and Marcelo Silveira in Coconut Creek, Florida.

Immediately upon arriving, Liborio set about infusing the academy with his character of openness and always being willing to lend a hand to someone in need.

Fighters dropping into ATT to train with the fabled master were shocked to meet such an affable gentleman capable of making them feel so helpless in training. His merciless pressure and technical precision on the mat became part of modern Jiu Jitsu folklore as high level competitors left training sessions doubting everything they ever knew about the art.

Not content to keep his knowledge bottled up, ATT expanded and Liborio began spreading Jiu Jitsu and mixed martial arts knowledge through his students’ academies.

Over the years, Liborio has trained a who’s who of mixed martial arts champions, including UFC Welterweight Champion Robbie Lawler, Bellator Champions Will Brooks, Douglas Lima, Daniel Straus and Hector Lombard, WEC Champion Mike Brown, Sengoku Champion Jorge Santiago and WSOF Champion Jessica Aguilar.

He has also trained grappling and Jiu Jitsu world champions such as Jeff Monson and Marcelo Garcia. In 2009, he was named the head coach of FILA’s US Grappling team where he successfully led the team to a gold medal in gi competition at the World Championships.

In the often ego driven world of fight sports, it can be a challenge to find someone who balances near superhuman abilities to impose their will with unrelenting generosity and kindness of spirit.

Competitive or commercial success can draw anyone down the path of believing their own hype and becoming unapproachable and withdrawn. But those who have met him will testify that the mythical status Ricardo Liborio enjoys is tempered by the fact that he is so adept at simply being a man.

Diami certainly explained the Liborio mystique, and everything I knew about Mr. Liborio as a man was confirmed. As a man, I know Mr. Liborio to be dedicated to his family as well as anyone he considers a friend. What attracted Jiu Jitsu and combat athletes to trust Mr. Liborio are the same qualities I discovered when getting to know him.

Dedication, warmth, acceptance, humor, and fierce loyalty. If he considers you a friend you are like family. Fighter Jason High fell ill away from home in California and required emergency surgery.

His trainer, coach, and friend Liborio (or “Libo” to those close to him) stayed at his hospital bedside the entire time. The last face High saw before surgery was the first face he saw upon reawakening; Libo was there in the chair at his bedside.

Unfortunately, this wasn’t Liborio’s first family visit to the hospital. Mr. Liborio’s youngest child Bella was diagnosed with craniosynostosis, a condition that affects the healthy development of an infant skull, and it caused Bella to lose her vision.

Instead of mourning the loss or lambasting Fate, Liborio set out researching what life is like for the blind. Always charitable, Liborio was touched by the daily challenges that the blind fight through and overcome.

Thus an outreach program was born at American Top Team. Not a person to help just one when you can benefit many, Mr. Liborio set up the program to gift knowledge — and most importantly, self esteem, — to children who may feel inferior.

There are a few interviews online that go into detail about the program, but Susan Cingari profiled the charity the best. Watch the video below to learn about American Top Team’s commitment to building our future by empowering our children:

Now I truly understand how special Mr. Liborio is, and I’m proud to know him. Not only accomplished in combat competition, not only a loyal friend and family man, but a generous spirit that gives without asking.

Diami was right, Mr. Liborio is someone who balances his near superhuman ability to impose his will with unrelenting generosity and kindness of spirit, and I’m extremely proud to know him.

I posted the story above as it seems to contradict the allegations and character of Master Liborio as described by the fighter named above. I find it extremely doubtful Professor Liborio sought to "use" him and how he could be useful remains to be seen. I couldn't post this above because it kept becoming bolded without my assistance.

I have talked to Professor Bustamante and I know he supports his various professors in BTT. I also know the experience he's gleaned over time, running his schools and BTT as well as that of Master Liborio (ATT Coconut Creek) and Mario Sperry who also has students who've created and run large programs such as those in Abu Dhabi and UAE would inject an air of excitement into BTT that is immeasureable. It would be exciting for sure.

Last edited:
Liborio trying to use Covington's "name and fame?" Liborio is a legend. Covington has a long way to go before he can claim he has established anything near Liborio's status.

I know most of these instructors currently run their own schools or are under another umbrella org but I believe all of these guys were BTT at one time and also would be invaluable as they are the ones I was referring to above: Ricardo Cavalcanti, Carlão Santos, Renato Tavares, Suyan Quieroz, Roberto Bebeo-Duarte, Amaury Bitetti, Sergio Bolao, Marcos Da Matta .. wishful thinking but maybe Conan Silveira or his brother, Brutus Silveira as well. BTT has two great instructors in Thailand, Fernando Maccachero who was at Tiger Muay Thai teaching on behalf of BTT (who I believe has relocated) as well as Olavo Abreu who teaches BJJ at Phuket Top Team. As if these former BTT masters and/or Professors who shared a school with Murilo (such as Bolao) wouldn't be epic enough, there are also icons from the past who are currently M.I.A. such as Ricardo Arona, Paulo Filho and Fernando Margarida. The excitement would be staggering and reverberate thoughout the Jiu-Jitsu community!

Last edited:
Liborio trying to use Covington's "name and fame?" Liborio is a legend. Covington has a long way to go before he can claim he has established anything near Liborio's status.
But bro he’s in the ufc and was on TnA

I know. I think it is the case of "the empty can making the most noise" and that is precisely his aim. This is the kind of behavior that is encouraged and rewarded by that .. well, not idiot ... don't wanna call Dana that ... BUT ...

I know. I think it is the case of "the empty can making the most noise" and that is precisely his aim. This is the kind of behavior that is encouraged and rewarded by that .. well, not idiot ... don't wanna call Dana that ... BUT ...
<31>

22519191_1954855851393345_5539496029705884362_n.jpg

One of the best images of BTT's competitive heyday in MMA. I doubt I need label any of these gentlemen. Superstars all. Standing, l-r .. Ze Mario, Bebeo, Little Nog, Murilo. Kneeling l-r .. Paulo Filho, Arona and Big Nog.

Last edited:
21685928_1943548429190754_357267725638991842_n.jpg

... though this one defintely gives it a go. Has the GREAT PINDUKA who was CGT's heavyweight in the Vale Tudo days as well as the evolution to and thru NHB to MMA. He was one who actually taught Carlson Jr (and others) when they were young. He fought historic battles before the days of videotape, internet, etc ... (top left standing), next to him is Vitor, Grandmaster Carlson, Carlo Barreto, Murilo and the Zen Machine. (kneeling l-r, Liborio, Bebeo, Amaury Bitetti and Playmobil.) Man, your guard must be hella to be nicknamed Playmobil!

Last edited:
20155818_1916799478532316_72850544585839833_n.jpg

Mario just opened an academy in Miami. He also has MANY black belts and several academies in Brazil.

The Orlando ATT academy is a little over 6 miles away from our academy. We have a good professional relationship and I understand that Professor Liborio is still associated with them. He's spends a lot of time helping Bruno Malfacine get his MMA career off the ground.
Professor Liborio was instrumental in getting Marcelo Garcia to do a seminar in Orlando in 2016 also bringing Buchecha to do a seminar, where Antônio "Cara de Sapato" Carlos Júnior and Rodolfo Viera dropped in.

They're bringing Jeff Glover in March.

I think he's just taking a back seat in the running of the association.

I doubt that btt will let him and take leadership and give a share of the business.

I am a lot more cynical when it comes to business and bjj.

I doubt that btt will let him and take leadership and give a share of the business.

I am a lot more cynical when it comes to business and bjj.
Yes, I didn't mean "surrender" total control but I'm sure they speak all the time and bounce stuff off one another. If he came aboard I bet any and all advice or thoughts on expanding the team or making it better would be welcomed. I don't think that's ever really changed. And it's doubtful Liborio would even seek or accept that kinda responsibility as he has cited that he wants to spend more time with his daughter and the non profit he's started or supported(I forget which). He still trains himself and others and as one guy already said, he contributes at a colleagues' school right now. He could just as easily do that for a school under BTT.

Back