NRA supports regulation on 'bump stocks' Update: 02/19/18 Trump reccomends bump stock ban to AG

Has the difference in look affected policy?

Of course, an "assault weapon" legislatively, is defined by its cosmetic features, provided it is a semi-automatic rifle.

A more retarded piece of legislation than the Massachusetts assault weapons ban, I could not imagine.

Two or more of a list of features and your semi-automatic rifle is deemed an "assault weapon". The list of features includes things like adjustable stock, bayonet lugs, "conspicuous"(lol) pistol grips, a grenande launcher, a flare launcher, a flash suppressor.....

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Has the difference in look affected policy?

Not exactly sure what you are asking?

Basically the "scary" looking ones in the past were banned but others that are just as capable weren't because they were wood and looked like a hunting rifle...

Not sure what you are asking?

Basically the "scary" looking ones in the past were banned but others that are just as capable weren't because they were wood and looked like a hunting rifle...

Okay, I honestly didn't know.

Okay, I honestly didn't know.

Yeah like that orginal post to you showing the 2 guns. The AR was banned because it has "assault features" and the wood mini 14 wasn't even though it is just as capable. And as I pointed out the mini 14 is actually the gun used in the deadliest single shooter shooting. But honestly that guy had zero resistance and could have used a single action revolver.

It's like the Vegas guy. His vantage point and complete lack of potential resistance is what made it bad. It was shooting fish in a barrel. If he had a(for example) 30-06 bolt action rifle with a nice scope sighted in at 400 yards he probably could have killed more. Significantly less injured but aiming with a high power round, quality hunting bullet, center mass shots, the death toll would be large.

Yeah like that orginal post to you showing the 2 guns. The AR was banned because it has "assault features" and the wood mini 14 wasn't even though it is just as capable. And as I pointed out the mini 14 is actually the gun used in the deadliest single shooter shooting. But honestly that guy had zero resistance and could have used a single action revolver.

It's like the Vegas guy. His vantage point and complete lack of potential resistance is what made it bad. It was shooting fish in a barrel. If he had a(for example) 30-06 bolt action rifle with a nice scope sighted in at 400 yards he probably could have killed more. Significantly less injured but aiming with a high power round, quality hunting bullet, center mass shots, the death toll would be large.

You're assuming competence. For all we know this guy was a terrible shot.
The reason the mass shooting focused legislation typically aims at cosmetics, is generally because spree shooters tend to be narcissistic fantasists.
They are living out their revenge fantasies, hence the military style weapons (and costumes even) being fetish objects for them.
Breivik's mini-14 was very tacti-cool (he even mentioned that it was the most "militaristic" rifle available to him, the stock was either synthetic or he'd painted it black).
Even though this guy is atypical in not trying to communicate some sort of message to get his fame, his massive accumulation of militaristic weapons fits the same pattern.

You're assuming competence. For all we know this guy was a terrible shot.
The reason the mass shooting focused legislation typically aims at cosmetics, is generally because spree shooters tend to be narcissistic fantasists.
They are living out their revenge fantasies, hence the military style weapons (and costumes even) being fetish objects for them.
Breivik's mini-14 was very tacti-cool, no wood (he even mentioned that it was the most "militaristic" rifle available to him).
Even though this guy is atypical in not trying to communicate some sort of message to get his fame, his massive accumulation of militaristic weapons fits the same pattern.

I agree about the narcissistic fantasist aspect. The Newtown kid did the same I believe. He was obsessed with Anders Breivik and whatnot.

Sure but I don't think people need to be that good at 400 yards to hit stationary people from prone on a platform.

I've brought people out shooting in the desert and it's their first time shooting. With the rifle sighted in for them they can hit a steel human sized target at 400-600 yards easily every time.

A friend's friend went out one time that has never shot long range and he was hitting steel at 950 yards probably 60-75% of the time. Also hitting small camper propane tanks in a few shots.

Tn4D8D0.jpg

Prru39q.jpg

Lmao

@Cubo de Sangre

Look at this shit.

Here is cnn showing a bump fire stock.

Suppressor - check
M203 grenade launcher - check
Acog - check

Bumpfire stock - nope

I've read the entire thing. Sorry you can't muster actual debate. But your disagreement is noted. Happy weekend to you.

Well if you read it and don't understand, you did not read it that well. Me quoting a few sections is not going to change your mind.

Lmao

@Cubo de Sangre

Look at this shit.

Here is cnn showing a bump fire stock.

Suppressor - check
M203 grenade launcher - check
Acog - check

Bumpfire stock - nope

Kinda hypnotic watching it go in and out.

Bumpticks are jammed in the bolt to keep it open?

Well if you read it and don't understand, you did not read it that well. Me quoting a few sections is not going to change your mind.

Maybe you'll convince someone more intelligent and open-minded than myself. Guarantee you just asserting shit without legal citation isn't changing anyone's mind. If you didn't know any better and saw two people arguing where one was quoting Supreme Court cases and the other person was just referenced one but chose to posture and belittle rather than make an actual case, who would you be more impressed with?

Eventually we will likely see a real push for limiting all civilian accessible semi-auto firearms to ten round magazines or feed tubes. That'll be handguns, rifles and shotguns.
And then you'll be Canada.

Not a ban but additional regulations.

Probably want an extra question on the form or something.

Maybe you'll convince someone more intelligent and open-minded than myself. Guarantee you just asserting shit without legal citation isn't changing anyone's mind. If you didn't know any better and saw two people arguing where one was quoting Supreme Court cases and the other person was just referenced one but chose to posture and belittle rather than make an actual case, who would you be more impressed with?

Good thing we are on a web forum and not arguing in the street.

3D printed bump fire device files have been circulating. There are going to be more bump fire rifles than ever.

criminals wont obey the law. theyll get bumb stocks anyway or 3d print them. why keep law abiding citizens from getting them?

I actually agree, however if there isn't a whole lot of them out there, it could make a difference. The question is how many are out there...

Like any group, gun owners need to self regulate. This fantasy of 'sneaking shit past the radar' is very pervasive in the gun community and its why it gets easier to justify ban attempts. The new hotness is currently AR/AK 'pistols'. A bunch of dinks figure out that if they manufacture a bunch of carbines without buttstocks, they can sell them as pistols, thereby effectively skirting the regulations imposed on SBR's. The only problem is they suck ass when fired in that configuration because a rifle is rifle no matter what you want to call it. In comes the sig 'brace'. Morons will swear up and down its not a stock but everyone and their mother knows that it is exactly what is and what it is used as. I see it all the time in my gun range.
That went hand in hand with the ATF investigating banning 5.56 green tips since pistol ammunition is not allowed to be designed to defeat armor and the 62 grain green tip 5.56 has a steel core penetrator tip specifically for that task

never woulda been an issue if assholes just got their SBR's the legal way.

Back