NS choke high%

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
im curious to look at the numbers in tourneys on ns chokes when guys go for them vs other subs
for instance i consider the omoplata a low % technique its just so hard to break a guy down to get it

its a weird choke n that a lot of guys seem to miss it but when guys specialize in it like jeff monson marcelo garcia they can hit it almost every time they go to ns

do you think its as high % or close to that of your average subs like arm triangles kimuras ect?

Dunno about pro competitors, but it's pretty much the only sub I get, except maybe a few armbars here and there. Ns choke is definitely high percentage for me though, gi and nogi. Even though you're only holding their head down, I find it's very difficult for people to escape if it's locked in correctly. I wish we'd see it more in mma. It seems like it could be just as viable as an arm triangle.

Like you said, there are some guys who are very good at it and it's very high percentage.

For me however it is zero percentage as I can not master that Damn choke to save my life...

i think it could have a lot to do with shoulder lat build too trying to get that shoulder under the throat i have super wide shoulders its hard enough t get my shoulder there when they are letting me much less when tucking the chin tbh i dont go for north south much though i need to have the attack down though

I think it's a good option for attack thanks to it's synergy.

A head wrap half nelson hold is in my estimation probably the strongest method there is for holding someone down in the side control situation and putting the presh on them; it also sets up a highly accessible double attack based on what they do with their arms.

If they keep their arm in front of your hip, you can rewind under it and walk your leg up to turn them into a tight darce pin.

If they try to put their arm under, then he can't stop you from just going north south and working your choke there instead.

As a different procedure, you can use the same setup to hit the dragon sleeper as well, if the n/s choke isn't clicking.

Last edited:
I've never even come close to hitting one. Definitely a super weak part of my game.

There aren't any stats out there that will give you the answer you're looking for. I'd be curious to know as well.

It's a finesse move and the people that are good at them are very good at them. At this point it's sort of a move that you're with 100% on and it's your bread and butter or you probably don't do it much at all. So honestly I would assume it isn't attempted often but if someone does attempt it then they are probably good at it and likely to finish it. So I would think it's lower frequency but high percentage. When I do see it attempted it's usually by someone that is good at it and they usually finish it.

It's underused in my opinion. Especially in sub-only where there's a lot of incentive for people to stay flat and chill once they have been passed already.

Last edited:
This move really upsets me, because I used to have a decent feel for it and catch it pretty frequently then about two years ago it went away completely.

The OP hit the nail on the head on this one. It's a theoretically high percentage move that most people can't seem to get.

Prazeres and Yahya have been using it to great effect in the UFC.

It's a lot like the cross collar choke from mount. Take a lot of work to develop to a high level, but if you put in the time and get the feel for it it's absolutely high %. Just hard to learn.

I'm with mataleaos. It's high % in that the people who go for them are usually always good at them and their finish rate is pretty high. I never really see people throw out half ass NS choke attempts - it's either 100% or bust.

I think I'm going to make the NS choke my next project. I love this choke so much but it's so difficult to get.

I'm with mataleaos. It's high % in that the people who go for them are usually always good at them and their finish rate is pretty high. I never really see people throw out half ass NS choke attempts - it's either 100% or bust.

I think I'm going to make the NS choke my next project. I love this choke so much but it's so difficult to get.

I'd advise practicing in no gi first. After you get a solid feel for the position, finishing in gi should be pretty easy.

I really like transitioning to the choke from the crucifix. If they can't block you with their arm, getting to the position and finishing should be a sinch.

I'd advise practicing in no gi first. After you get a solid feel for the position, finishing in gi should be pretty easy.

I really like transitioning to the choke from the crucifix. If they can't block you with their arm, getting to the position and finishing should be a sinch.

1. I assume you mean mounted crucifix correct? Similar to this:

Never thought about that set up. I love the mounted crucifix so I'll give this a try.
I usually set it up when they are very defensive with T-rex arms from bottom side control.

2. People often use their arms to push up on my chest or head to block me from shimmying down to the floor. What do you do to address this?

3. I had one guy actually reverse me to the bottom when I had him in the NS choke. How do you prevent this?

4. Finally, is there ever a time when you'll give up the NS choke or will you insist on it?

1. I assume you mean mounted crucifix correct? Similar to this:

Never thought about that set up. I love the mounted crucifix so I'll give this a try.
I usually set it up when they are very defensive with T-rex arms from bottom side control.

2. People often use their arms to push up on my chest or head to block me from shimmying down to the floor. What do you do to address this?

3. I had one guy actually reverse me to the bottom when I had him in the NS choke. How do you prevent this?

4. Finally, is there ever a time when you'll give up the NS choke or will you insist on it?

1. I meant trapping their arm with your legs from side control. I thought this was called the crucifix, but maybe I'm getting my terminology wrong.

2. Sometimes I'll use one of my free hands to push their arm down. Even with one free hand it shouldn't be easy for them to escape.

3. Sprawl widely and think about your hips. Almost like you're in mount they shouldn't be able to buck you off easily. If they can't turn their head at all there's not a lot of room for them to go

4. I'll give it up sometimes if their head is facing horizontally and I can't get the position exactly. Or if they're pushing on my chest/head really hard and I can't fight it.

Last edited:
for instance i consider the omoplata a low % technique its just so hard to break a guy down to get it

In the gi the omoplata is a good sweep. Some people like Clark are super high percentage with subbing people with it.

love the choke, but I notice Im pretty good finishing it on the left side, on the right sie, I could still get some people, but my body just doenst move as well as from the other side..

Being 230lbs+ and a wrestler, I get to this position all the damn time, especially in no-gi, and I've finished this choke exactly 0 times. I cannot, for the life of me, get a feel for how to finish it. I really need to find someone who is good at it and pick their brain.

Being 230lbs+ and a wrestler, I get to this position all the damn time, especially in no-gi, and I've finished this choke exactly 0 times. I cannot, for the life of me, get a feel for how to finish it. I really need to find someone who is good at it and pick their brain.

man its really annoying with certain techs like that u gotta find that tiny little niche that tiny spot where it works those type of chokes are a bitch cause u cant tell at times if its really on or not and u could gas your arms trying it think needs to be drilled a good 30 times for a week probably to get it half way down u need to get a partner willing to work it with you

It took me a couple months of drilling before it clicked with me

Back