Banned
Banned
Reaction score
NSA ‘Systematically Moving’ All Its Data to The Cloud
860x394.jpg

PATRICK SEMANSKY/AP FILE PHOTO

By FRANK KONKEL

JUNE 21, 2018 11:31 AM ET
The National Security Agency is all-in on cloud.

The National Security Agency has moved most of the mission data it collects, analyzes and stores into a classified cloud computing environment known as the Intelligence Community GovCloud.

The IC GovCloud is a single integrated “big data fusion environment” that allows analysts to rapidly “connect the dots” across all NSA’s data sources, according to Chief Information Officer Greg Smithberger.

The impetus for the multi-year move is getting the NSA’s data, including signals intelligence and other foreign surveillance and intelligence information it ingests from multiple repositories around the globe into a single data lake analysts from the NSA and other IC agencies can run queries against.

https://www.nextgov.com/emerging-tech/2018/06/nsa-systematically-moving-all-its-data-cloud/149179/

I read this, and my eyebrows raised. This seems to me to be counter to intelligence norms.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me here, but if this system is breached, is not the entire NSA, and every bit of their intelligence compromised?

Isn't this why compartmentalization exists?

Discuss..........

This'll end well.

Wtf? How odd. I cannot imagine any scenario where having something open to hacking makes it more safe. They would have to keep real secret stuff off line right not on cloud?

Putting lies and misinformation in the cloud so other enemies can hack it would be smart though.

Wtf? How odd. I cannot imagine any scenario where having something open to hacking makes it more safe. They would have to keep real secret stuff off line right not on cloud?

Putting lies and misinformation in the cloud so other enemies can hack it would be smart though.
If it's a ruse, awesome, but this is bureaucracy looking to save a buck we're talking about here.

That seems to be the case looks like they are baiting China the same way they baited the Soviets back in the 80s.

Giving them wrong information about the Geopolitical and Geostrategic roadmap the US will take can really throw off the opposing countries plans and funding.

It would create an hell of a "national state of emergency" if it was hacked.
The Russians have taken over the NSA.

I am assuming they know more about data security than Sherdoggers

We all assumed the same thing about a blonde-headed broad in a blue pant-suit.

People give up security for convenience. I wouldn't be surprised if the government was way behind on cyber security, even with ITAR and FedRAMP compliances. People make copies and plug in shit to their computers all the time.

Stills beats working on a SaaS product with customers in China.

Misdirection and/or trap, IMO.

Going to plant disinformation to see who takes the bait.

People give up security for convenience. I wouldn't be surprised if the government was way behind on cyber security, even with ITAR and FedRAMP compliances. People make copies and plug in shit to their computers all the time.

Stills beats working on a SaaS product with customers in China.

Then you should be surprised because the government is ahead on Cyber security. Pretty much leading edge.

At quantum and stabilizing it.

Is that the same GovCloud and SecretRegion by Amazon?

Edit: Yup. Bottom of the article:

IC GovCloud is one of two major cloud initiatives across the IC. Four years ago, the CIA awarded a $600 million contract to Amazon Web Services to develop a commercial cloud environment for the IC agencies. Today, the Amazon-developed C2S provides utility computing services to the IC.

It's not online. You'd need physical access.

That's cool and all, but as Snowden showed, someone has to have administrative priviledge to maintain the system. That person has complete access.

Little bit more complicated than that. Read the last link.

if i have a large source of eggs i put them in multiple baskets

Security vs accessability. You increase one at the other’s expense.

Is it easier to secure one basket or a bunch of baskets?

Back