Nullifying a southpaw with Amir Khan

OneChinTouch

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
He finds multiple way to do it, by being busy, always keeping his left foot on the outside and going through with straight shots, shouthpaws, the nightmare for everybody, was not something Khan struggled with too often

Khans first pro fight against a southpaw came in his debut when he faced off against the tough little slugger David Bailey, who promised to let Khan know the differences between the paid and unpaid rank. He hadn't managed to do badly whatsoever in his career, so let's see how he does against Khan, and how Khan does against future slippery southpaw opponents

I notice some nice use of set ups.

For example he is jabbing while waiting for a counter jab where he slips and counters with a jab cross. The whole motion is so fast and it almost looks like a double jab cross.

Other time he just counters their jab with a cross. Without a real set up or at least I can not notice it. And in this way he steps outside.

Very nice use of a jab cross hook combo where his jab has hook like motion. And sometimes the hook a jab like motion.

Very nice use of the hook in general to set up attacks and counters.

I like how he steps sometimes towards his right to set up hook counters.

i wish people would show how in mma orthodox guys deal with southpaws given takedowns when mixin everything together it gets wild if guys just strike and grapple only and dont know how to mix it up technically

i wish people would show how in mma orthodox guys deal with southpaws given takedowns when mixin everything together it gets wild if guys just strike and grapple only and dont know how to mix it up technically

foot placement means a LOT

foot placement means a LOT

i agree i hate fighting southpaws takedowns are alot more awkward have to switch stances ect stepping on each others feet they can close distance alot faster due to the foot being closer

i agree i hate fighting southpaws takedowns are alot more awkward have to switch stances ect stepping on each others feet they can close distance alot faster due to the foot being closer
If you keep your outside foot to the left of theirs, you have the advantage in most exchanges, they are usually having to change their angle in reaction to yours, you have a nice straight shot to the chin with the right, you can spin them easier and have the ability to dictate the pace by keeping your opponent reactive

If you keep your outside foot to the left of theirs, you have the advantage in most exchanges, they are usually having to change their angle in reaction to yours, you have a nice straight shot to the chin with the right, you can spin them easier and have the ability to dictate the pace by keeping your opponent reactive
don't quote this to often around @Sinister . he is a big fan of taking the inside angle. and believes the old foot on the outside is overly exaggerated.

^If you always only ever go one way, they will always know what way you will want to go.

^If you always only ever go one way, they will always know what way you will want to go.
Inside / Outside angle approach is too simplistic IMO. The important thing is go be in an advantageous position for the task at hand.
I find the "inside" position great for inside left hooks / uppercuts and for fading or rolling their left into a counter.

Inside / Outside angle approach is too simplistic IMO. The important thing is go be in an advantageous position for the task at hand.
I find the "inside" position great for inside left hooks / uppercuts and for fading or rolling their left into a counter.
common sense when you think about it. it's amazing how many people think it's the be all and end all against southpaws. i must admit it's kinda my go to a bit, mainly because my brother (the southpaw i have sparred by far the most) has a strong left and absolutely no right hook. against someone with a strong lead right it can be a rather dangerous move.

Many people overlook the angle of being beyond the power hand against an opposite-handed fighter. Luis Ortiz is extremely well-schooled when it comes to moving into the right hand of orthodox fighters and punishing them for thinking he's at a disadvantage there:

I must admit, I always like when someone takes the outside angle against me, because my lead right hook lands a lot easier. If you take the inside angle and get your head to the left of where their right straight would be, you've essentially blocked off all chance of attack until they pivot out, which gives you free shots.

But it's incredibly hard to land a back hand when the opponent is constantly maing you overextend, if your opponent has his lead foot outisde yours, he has every maneuverable advantage to make you overextend while still being able to hit you, you constantly have to reset, if he goes the other way, I can line up my backhand MUCH easier, so I USED to think it was overrated...but after sparring some skilled southpaws I got it completely, they were always a step ahead because I couldn't reach them when they could me. They made you throw your back hand ACROSS your own body and fall over your feet because they have the better balanced position, they give up that advantage if they go the other way

Th fact is that ONE WAY does have set advantages the other way does not, thats why it's the way you are told to go

Daniel Santos negated Yori Boy Campas' entire offense for 12 rounds just by stepping outside his lead foot

Of course you have to cut of the ring etc so foot placement isn't just the be all end all but it is an advatnage I have found

Last edited:
I must admit, I always like when someone takes the outside angle against me, because my lead right hook lands a lot easier. If you take the inside angle and get your head to the left of where their right straight would be, you've essentially blocked off all chance of attack until they pivot out, which gives you free shots.

Not to the body mate, your right side is open and you may be overextending your balance worrying about the straight shot to the head, because you can definately be caught with a hook, that is eliminated if you are on the far side of their of their lead foot

If my lead foot is on the outside I can spin you very easily, not because I'm an amazing fighter, but because it's a good maneouvre that is available to me because you gave up the outside angle, I have complete control of that and your own body weight if I play my cards right

common sense when you think about it. it's amazing how many people think it's the be all and end all against southpaws. i must admit it's kinda my go to a bit, mainly because my brother (the southpaw i have sparred by far the most) has a strong left and absolutely no right hook. against someone with a strong lead right it can be a rather dangerous move.

But you are still on the outside of their right hook without the having to completely reset their position, I'm telling you man, as a former doubter, it works if you're doing it right, you can almost COMPLETELY nullify his offense, unless he takes a Gazelle punch at you while he anticipates a sidestep, but no system is perfect, it's very hard to counter

I think this has merit in an orthodox boxing match, but in terms of southaw vs orxy if it aint broke don't fix it, if you know how to take advantage of the outside foot, the guy can barely lay a glove on you, because he's always playing catchup, even if he knows what direction you are going in

There is of course more to it than just "have your foot slightly outside his and you will win" but its when you understand the freedom this position grants you and how to use it, that yes, mostly you will win

But it's incredibly hard to land a back hand when the opponent is constantly maing you overextend, if your opponent has his lead foot outisde yours, he has every maneuverable advantage to make you overextend while still being able to hit you, you constantly have to reset, if he goes the other way, I can line up my backhand MUCH easier, so I USED to think it was overrated...but after sparring some skilled southpaws I got it completely, they were always a step ahead because I couldn't reach them when they could me, they give up that advantage if they go the other way

Th fact is that ONE WAY does have set advantages the other way does not, thats why it's the way you are told to go

Daniel Santos negated Yori Boy Campas' entire offense for 12 rounds just by stepping outside his lead foot

Of course you have to cut of the ring etc so foot placement isn't just the be all end all but it is an advatnage I have found

I don't agree with this assessment. That one way inherently has an advantage over the other. For one thing, more Southpaws expect the maxim you reiterated because it's so overused, most are prepared to battle for outside angle. But even then, let's say you don't know that, why have an approach that is reliant solely on the ignorance of the opponent and provides no plan B should it not work? And if it doesn't rely solely on ignorance, the only other recourse is that the opponent wants to land the left. If you're in there with a Southpaw with a savvy right hook, your strolling into danger all night.

As for the positional advantage, well, most fighters are accustomed to moving towards their lead hand anyway. Making an adjustment to the right for a Southpaw easier to perform or even think of. Yet if you go outside their left hand, you're beyond their furthest weapon, their line of sight, and their lead hand is also rendered useless as its much further away. Furthermore adjusting on that direction requires education that not everyone gets.

Watch the video above and how world class fighters react when Ortiz hits them from past their right hand. Hell the second he even stepped there with Lateef Kayode, Lateef responded by curling up into a ball and hoping for the best. That's how vulnerable that side makes you feel.

I don't agree with this assessment. That one way inherently has an advantage over the other. For one thing, more Southpaws expect the maxim you reiterated because it's so overused, most are prepared to battle for outside angle. But even then, let's say you don't know that, why have an approach that is reliant solely on the ignorance of the opponent and provides no plan B should it not work? And if it doesn't rely solely on ignorance, the only other recourse is that the opponent wants to land the left. If you're in there with a Southpaw with a savvy right hook, your strolling into danger all night.

As for the positional advantage, well, most fighters are accustomed to moving towards their lead hand anyway. Making an adjustment to the right for a Southpaw easier to perform or even think of. Yet if you go outside their left hand, you're beyond their furthest weapon, their line of sight, and their lead hand is also rendered useless as its much further away. Furthermore adjusting on that direction requires education that not everyone gets.

Watch the video above and how world class fighters react when Ortiz hits them from past their right hand. Hell the second he even stepped there with Lateef Kayode, Lateef responded by curling up into a ball and hoping for the best. That's how vulnerable that side makes you feel.

Sorry but I don't rate Luis Ortiz without drugs, his performanes against Allen and Scott were abysmal, his footwork was awful

It s much easier for me to land, if I am standing orthodox, with my backhand to you moving slightly rightside offline, than it is for me to land it if you move to the left side offline, I have to twist literally my entire body to land that shot, whereas the other way I am still on balance to smack you with a straight then try and at least readjust myself. I find my default position to be MUCH better with my lead foot on the outside, that's as important as the jab imo

Back