Nullifying a southpaw with Amir Khan

Lol, Luis Ortiz was a world level amateur and pro with or without drugs. And drugs don't make one suddenly able to step to their left. That's education. Though I will say I hope you're consistent in your dismissal. James Toney, Roy Jones Jr., Alexander Povetkin, Orlando Salido, countless others had drug busts. Guess none of them know how to box either.

If my lead foot is on the outside I can spin you very easily, not because I'm an amazing fighter, but because it's a good maneouvre that is available to me because you gave up the outside angle, I have complete control of that and your own body weight if I play my cards right
Maybe if I've lost my left arm and / or my left eye in a lumber accident or something.

And not if you "spin" first.

i wish people would show how in mma orthodox guys deal with southpaws given takedowns when mixin everything together it gets wild if guys just strike and grapple only and dont know how to mix it up technically

In closed stance matchups, cross overhand to kneetap is powerful.

(1:25, 4:25)

Last edited:
Many people overlook the angle of being beyond the power hand against an opposite-handed fighter. Luis Ortiz is extremely well-schooled when it comes to moving into the right hand of orthodox fighters and punishing them for thinking he's at a disadvantage there:

Is this something you teach now? ....from the video it just seems as Luis Ortiz circles towards the fighters power hand and very instinctively counters when they throw it almost as if he baiting them.

Is this something you teach now? ....from the video it just seems as Luis Ortiz circles towards the fighters power hand and very instinctively counters when they throw it almost as if he baiting them.

That was done for that kid's trainer in the U.K., that kid was training with me for a bit to fight a Southpaw. Keeping in-mind that I AM a Southpaw, and right this second I have 10 Southpaws that I train. Now, envision that Jack takes a bit deeper step to his right when I throw the left. He'd have a full second or so to beat me senseless before I understood what correction I had to make, unless I've been well-educated on what to do.

If you've ever watched a certain irishman's fights in the cage, the number one set up he used for his left hand was after he's slipped outside his opponents right hand.

Hits to the open side are super effective; understanding this means you can also play off of it. In a closed stance matchup, this (generally) makes your lead side powerful. In an open stance matchup, this (generally) makes your trail side powerful.

In the open stance matchup, many people tend to tunnel vision on their cross to hit the open side a lot more than they might do with their jab in a closed stance matchup. (As it happens, slipping outside an opponents left hand jab and coming back with his right or a simultaneous dip jab was a specialty of Joe Louis, in fact)

Michael Bisping made frequent effective use of his looping lead hook, a lead overhand practically, over his opponents lead shoulder vs southpaws like Anderson Silva or Luke Rockhold (which tend to be more common in MMA due to people liking to lead with their strong side for grappling exchanges).

Rockhold himself would take advantage of this principle through his love of slamming in trail leg roundhouses to the body and head. You might say it became something of a crutch even, as he had certain habits (or more specifically, an absence of certain habits) that would not protect him ere he ran into someone savvy enough on the feet to not crumple under the (it must be acknowledged, significant) weight of Plan A.

Ryan Hall, another grappler turned impromptu southpaw striker, also made use; in his case with a lead leg hook kick to engage the open side from furthest range. A rare but effective solution that gave Gray Maynard fits all night in their meeting together.

Last edited:
Not to the body mate, your right side is open and you may be overextending your balance worrying about the straight shot to the head, because you can definately be caught with a hook, that is eliminated if you are on the far side of their of their lead foot

Not true. You have the inside angle which means your opponent will virtually always throw the straight, slip left, and then you pivot round and they're not in any position to strike.

Sinister demonstrates it in that video above ^

In closed stance matchups, cross overhand to kneetap is powerful.

(1:25, 4:25)

do you prefer to dig the right hand into an underhook or just push the head when coming forward with the punch its pretty hard to get that undertook o i think its faster to push/frame the head not as much control but much faster easier to get to iv seen guys doing both

do you prefer to dig the right hand into an underhook or just push the head when coming forward with the punch its pretty hard to get that undertook o i think its faster to push/frame the head not as much control but much faster easier to get to iv seen guys doing both

Better to get better at using the head in my view. I don't think you'd have a very easy time trying to dig an underhook in on the side that's furthest away from you. Like, either you punch him, or walk into him to swim your arm under, which would you prefer?

If by right hand you mean *as* the southpaw, well, in freestyle wrestling Yazdani likes to stand with the left foot forward, since most of his opponents will be right foot forward. Reason of course being in an open stance matchup your lead side and his lead side are mirrored, creating the shortest distance for digging an underhook in.

The use of this wrinkle in the clinch with strikes is also used by Petchpanomrung Kiatmookao, in his case as a right hand lead vs left leading opponents.

Last edited:
Better to get better at using the head in my view. I don't think you'd have a very easy time trying to dig an underhook in on the side that's furthest away from you. Like, either you punch him, or walk into him to swim your arm under, which would you prefer?

If by right hand you mean *as* the southpaw, well, in freestyle wrestling Yazdani likes to stand with the left foot forward, since most of his opponents will be right foot forward. Reason of course being in an open stance matchup your lead side and his lead side are mirrored, creating the shortest distance for digging an underhook in.

The use of this wrinkle in the clinch with strikes is also used by Petchpanomrung Kiatmookao, in his case as a right hand lead vs left leading opponents.
instead of digging the underhook going to the head to push through is easier its less control but its a momentum takedown even on right side its hard to always get the underhook after i throw my right hand especially if he tried to parry my punch and arms are in tight with no space to dig in as im going forward

But you are still on the outside of their right hook without the having to completely reset their position, I'm telling you man, as a former doubter, it works if you're doing it right, you can almost COMPLETELY nullify his offense, unless he takes a Gazelle punch at you while he anticipates a sidestep, but no system is perfect, it's very hard to counter
Not if they throw the right as you step in.

Sorry but I don't rate Luis Ortiz without drugs, his performanes against Allen and Scott were abysmal, his footwork was awful

It s much easier for me to land, if I am standing orthodox, with my backhand to you moving slightly rightside offline, than it is for me to land it if you move to the left side offline, I have to twist literally my entire body to land that shot, whereas the other way I am still on balance to smack you with a straight then try and at least readjust myself. I find my default position to be MUCH better with my lead foot on the outside, that's as important as the jab imo
do you rate zolani tete? he has been so successful recently because of his short hook and the willingness of opponents to just jump to the outside angle. hell thats how he got one of the quickest KO's in a title fight in history. and in his fight against gonzalez. after gonzalez got buzzed going to the outside he didn't know what to do and ended up getting pounded and TKOed over the course of seven rounds.

Back