Nutrition & Weight Cutting For MMA LONG READ

Brian McLaughlin

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Every time I come here I see people asking questions about weight cutting, I figured there might be enough interest that some people would enjoy my input on a subject I'm very familar with. I've made many mistakes making weight in the past and wish I knew then what I know now, this is the method that has always worked wonders for me.

Here goes:

How to lose a ton of weight really quickly

OK, here are the ground rules:

Awesome thread thanks a ton. What is a reasonable amount of water one could cut through nutrition alone? Atm I am 208.5 first thing in the morning. Would it be obtainable to get below 200 by cutting out creatine the week before and using the strategy you outlined above?

Once again, thanks for the thread and +1 for sticky.

Genius. Best diet post I've ever seen. Aesopian, can you please sticky this somewhere?

most complete cutting guide i've seen yet. very nice (sticky please!)

"Your protein needs are going to depend largely on the type of training you are doing, the more strenuous the more protein necessary for proper recovery. Personally, I like to eat about 1 gram per two pounds of body weight. Some will advise you to eat twice that amount, but I don

First off, there is NO CALLORIE COUNTING on this system. The amount you eat is based on the amount and intensity you train at which is different for all people. You can not base it off a 2,000 calorie diet.

The idea is to eat quality foods that will give you energy to train and not pack on pounds.

Protein is a poor source of energy relative to carbohydrates. In addition excessive amounts of protein can disrupt your kidneys, liver and bones. Also, excess protein is just like any other macro-nutrient - it is stored as fat.

The amount of protein needed to function without illness is only 56 grams for the average male. Most world health and nutrition organizations will recomend no more than 1 gram per kilo (2.2 pounds). My guidline above actually increases that amount to 1 gram per 2 pounds.

Finally, yes you are going to potentially lose a little bit of muscle on this diet. We are looking to lean out but maintain energy, not muscle build.

I've done the high protein method and I found that I either gained weight or had 0 energy. Making low GI high fiber carbs the staple of my diet did wonders for my performance.

First, the WHO and nutrition organizations often are not a good source for nutrition info for athletes. After all, a nutrition organization gave us the four food groups, and we all know how well that turned out.

Second, I was only picking a caloric total so I could run some numbers on protein percentages, nothing more. I agree that protein is a poor source of energy relative to carbohydrates, but that is not to say that 1gram/2 pounds (or 1 kilogram, as this formula is often stated), is adequate for athletes who spend a significant amount of time working out each week. Specifically, for those who train with weights. Maybe for those who find that Ryan Hall has an ideal physique may be able to thrive on 56g/day of protein (or your generous offer to increase it to 100g/day for a 200 pound male athleste), but not for athletes who care about being as strong as they can. This just will not suffice. I also guarantee that upping the protein won't interfere with the goal of getting lean, and might actually improve upon that goal. As for energy levels, it changes from person to person. Many find that increased fat levels are sufficient, or you can always take something like Biotest's HotRox (or other similar supplements).

As Dr. Berardi thoughtfully stated, "...there's a difference between need and optimization. As a weightlifter I hope your goals are loftier than preventing death by protein malnutrition. Rather, I hope you're trying to find the right amount to optimize your body composition."

First off, there is NO CALLORIE COUNTING on this system. The amount you eat is based on the amount and intensity you train at which is different for all people. You can not base it off a 2,000 calorie diet.

The idea is to eat quality foods that will give you energy to train and not pack on pounds.

Protein is a poor source of energy relative to carbohydrates. In addition excessive amounts of protein can disrupt your kidneys, liver and bones. Also, excess protein is just like any other macro-nutrient - it is stored as fat.

The amount of protein needed to function without illness is only 56 grams for the average male. Most world health and nutrition organizations will recomend no more than 1 gram per kilo (2.2 pounds). My guidline above actually increases that amount to 1 gram per 2 pounds.

Finally, yes you are going to potentially lose a little bit of muscle on this diet. We are looking to lean out but maintain energy, not muscle build.

I've done the high protein method and I found that I either gained weight or had 0 energy. Making low GI high fiber carbs the staple of my diet did wonders for my performance.

this needs to get stickied in D/S and the Conditioning forum as well

Thanks Brian! This is one of the best posts I've read. Definitely the best for nutrition and weight cutting.

Now if only I had read this 2 weeks ago before my tournament and sauna fun!

I am talking about a weight loss regimine that is designed to get you down to single digit bodyfat. Modifications could be made for year round training such as increased protein.

I also guarantee that upping the protein won't interfere with the goal of getting lean, and might actually improve upon that goal.

I can guarantee that in my case it was quite the opposite.

When I tried high protein (1.5 grams per pound of body weight) my weight cut was a nightmare, I packed on too much muscle.
To a certain extent this diet is designed to stop you from putting on muscle, if you are 175 and need to get down to 155 adding more muscle will hurt you more than it will help.

Its ironic that you mention Ryan Hall, I followed the above diet form my superfight with Ryan and no one could believe that we were only 4 pounds apart in weight - everyone assumed I was much heavier because of my body composition

n27905383_31353699_7537.jpg

Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words....great post.

Back