NYC Just Reported First Weekend w/o a Shooting on Record

The evidence on that seems to be pretty damn strong.
It might be a factor in crime rates dropping in the US but like I pointed out before crime rates dropping like a stone wasn't just a US phenomenon. The only true constant worldwide is the tech and social media revolution.

That's due in large part to the fact that the NYPD went from about 22,000 officers in the early 90's to about 40,000 today. If you think that crime is awful in LA today you would never have left your apartment in the 80's and early 90's.

I enjoy LA enough mostly because I have close people out there, it just doesn't hold a candle to NYC as a city on the whole IMO and New York is also safer (regardless of the reasons involved). This incident happened in East LA, so it wasn't some kind of shock lol.

Broken glass and stop and frisk really changed things for New York! Congratulations!

Says a guy from London where knives are more commonly used for murder than eating. Lol

It's the police funding cuts that are hurting London (and UK elsewhere) more than anything, but at times it does make you wonder just what the fuck they're doing when they allocate time and resources to trivial shit like tackling internet 'hate speech' on social media.

There are 100's of examples of how the tech and social media revolution has driven down crime rates. I will give you one example.

Every cell phone in the world today comes with a high resolution camera wich means you could use that cell phone camera to capture a crime in progress. you could use that cell phone camera to take pictures of the criminal committing a crime, you could use that cell phone camera to take pictures of that criminal making his get away, you could take pictures of his license plate.

With millions of cell phone cameras in the hands of millions of Americans makes it much harder for a criminal to commit and get away with a crime.

Ok. By that notion, should we expect exponential reductions to coincide with the increasing saturation of surveillance?

Ok. By that notion, should we expect exponential reductions to coincide with the increasing saturation of surveillance?
Surveillance technology is already at saturation levels yet there is still room for crime to fall even more mostly because surveillance technology is only one part of the tech and social media revolution. How much lower? Even criminologists can't say for sure.

Surveillance technology us already at saturation levels yet there is still room for crime to fall even more mostly because surveillance technology is only one part of the tech and social media revolution. How much lower? Even criminologists can't say for sure.

I'll be rooting for us.

Primarily nation wide it was the reduction of lead based products making people go crazy

blog_lead_crime_main_chart.gif

Also, as one poster mentioned they just may not have found the bodies yet
There is also age, people are getting older on average, younger people commit more crimes

It might be a factor in crime rates dropping in the US but like I pointed out before crime rates dropping like a stone wasn't just a US phenomenon. The only true constant worldwide is the tech and social media revolution.
Global reduction of poverty. You can thank capitalism.

Why the angry face? :(

I'm a social democrat and was being half serious, but I'd say the scientific and industrial revolutions were the catalyst for capitalism rather than the result of it. It's why I find it frivolous analyze world history without a noted pre/post separation - especially in relation to the global economy or nation-state power structure - just based on the fact that prior to them, economic progress was almost entirely linear and directly proportional to population size and growth.

worlduntil2001-thumb-615x638-90890.png

Interesting how this happened during Donald Trump's Presidency. I guess this kind of thing only happens in Trump's America.

There are 100's of examples of how the tech and social media revolution has driven down crime rates. I will give you one example.

Every cell phone in the world today comes with a high resolution camera wich means you could use that cell phone camera to capture a crime in progress. you could use that cell phone camera to take pictures of the criminal committing a crime, you could use that cell phone camera to take pictures of that criminal making his get away, you could take pictures of his license plate.

With millions of cell phone cameras in the hands of millions of Americans makes it much harder for a criminal to commit and get away with a crime.
Also same thing been happening with police brutality, it used to be word against the police. Now it's evidence vs the polices word.

You have to factor in the fact that testosterone levels are falling and people are spending more time indoors watching TV, browsing the internet.

Back