Obesity skews the national average in weight

I "only" DL 335, squat 235, and bench 185 (not that these mean much, but just a reference point), so to true, hardcore lifters, sure that's not much
You don't need to put only in quotes, that's not much for a 16 year old athlete.

Looking at the cdc link above the average non-hispanic white male 20-40yrs is 5'10" 194lb.

I (perhaps biasedly) agree. I'm 5'11" and fluctuate between 150-160lbs and by no means Superman, but my aim with training is to be as much of a generalist as possible. I "only" DL 335, squat 235, and bench 185 (not that these mean much, but just a reference point), so to true, hardcore lifters, sure that's not much, but I'm also quite fast when sprinting and running middle distance. I have no issues manuvering my body around through space with my feet and hands (pull-ups, muscle-ups, swinging on monkey bars, climbing rope), and have pretty good endurance.

Someone like me isn't going to win any physical singular focused event, but as an all-around representation of what the pure animal form of a human is, I think that's the roundabout size. Just a guess.
In general, any adult male weighing less than 180lbs is considered an ugly woman.

Looking at the cdc link above the average non-hispanic white male 20-40yrs is 5'10" 194lb.

and if we are talking the typical american dude, I would say at 194 is probably 20-30 pounds overweight.

Apparently to him a 2.1x DL is weak. Dont listen to him, if you do over 300 at 150-160 then thats pretty dang good. Is it a competitive lifter good? No, but that isn't what 99% of people are aiming for anyways. You said yourself you are a generalist, not a competitor.

Last edited:
and if we are talking the typical american dude, I would say at 194 is probably 20-30 pounds overweight.

Apparently to him a 2.1x DL is weak. Dont listen to him, if you do over 300 at 150-160 then thats pretty dang good. Is it a competitive lifter good? No, but that isn't what 99% of people are aiming for anyways. You said yourself you are a generalist, not a competitor.

Don't worry, I don't. Been around here long enough to know what to expect, lol. It's exactly why I put it into quotes to begin with. As long as the point came across clearly and some get it, then the insults are whatever. It's the internet. :)

I know what you're really asking...
The correct size for a human male is 5'10" and 150lbs. That's what you'd want your army filled with, or your crew of ditch diggers. I've thought about it, and it seems to me that being bigger than that is a niche. As a case study, if you've ever worked with a shovel or a sledgehammer you'll know to let the tool do the work, get yourself into a rhythm, and that 'normal' size guys get that shit done just fine. And I'm talking as a 195lbs guy.

5'10'' and 150 seems a little on the light side to me... that's like my old distance runner buddies and they were great on endurance but weak AF and usually didn't lift weights.

Yeah that sounds about right for your average mexican worker and these dudes are workhorses.

Bigger guys tend to tire more. And smaller guys struggle with heavier weights.

As 240 guy thats a bit overweight but that works selling bags of cement i can confirm.

Apparently to him a 2.1x DL is weak.
Yes. Yes it is.

Dont listen to him, if you do over 300 at 150-160 then thats pretty dang good. Is it a competitive lifter good? No, but that isn't what 99% of people are aiming for anyways. You said yourself you are a generalist, not a competitor.
No it's not pretty dang good. It's not even kind of good. A completely untrained male at 150lbs that has no physical handicaps should hit a 300 deadlift within about six months of strength training.

I guess I was a bit off with the weight. I was kind of thinking of 18 year olds because men naturally gain muscle for a long time after they stop growing taller. And the only practical reason for nation wide population level data would be the draft.

The intellectually curious part of the question is:

1) Why is the average guy with average genetics the optimal size for a hunter gatherer / agrarian life? Why not 6'2"?

Because fueling the 6'2" body requires more calories than you can guarantee in the standard hunter-gatherer / agrarian life.

2) What are the common effects of incongruous genetics when you randomly grow a fair bit taller? (Like plantar fasciitis, and stuff)

don't have an answer for #2.

Is 5'9" really the average? I'm 6' and i feel like im average height. Do manlets really live underground in shame?

I think a good average size is 5'10-6' and 175-185 something lbs (lean). I'm 5'11 and I boxed at 152 lbs in high school. I had trouble making that weight and I looked pretty thin. I weigh 185 now at 12 percent bodyfat and I look fit/robust but not huge. I wouldn't mind being a little bigger but for all the benefits I understand the drawbacks as well.

And to the above poster I think 5'9 is average overall for our country. If you live in a majority white area then I say 5'10-5'11 is average or on the good side of average. At 6' even you'll be about eye level still, not to mention so many guys claim 6' who are actually 5'11 or 5'10 barefoot. I'm 6' in most shoes but I won't claim it.

Back