Jump Rope + Heavy Bag: 10 minutes

Power Clean to Push Press
135 lbs x 3
155 lbs x 2
175 lbs x 1
185 lbs x 1
205 lbs x 1
225 lbs x 1
*Elbows need to get through quicker on 225 lbs.

Squats
185 lbs x 5
225 lbs x 5
275 lbs x 3
315 lbs x 3 x 5 sets
*Starting real light on these. Short rest periods and weight flew up.

Board Press/Bench Lockouts (pins set halfway between chest and lockout)
225 lbs x 5
275 lbs x 1 x 3 sets
*Trying to figure out where I lose tightness. Sometimes I think it's at unrack with heavy weights. Only one single felt really solid where tightness remained.

Static Stretch
15 minutes
*First time stretching in a long time.

It's almost embarrassing to log today's session. Everything is really light with a focus on form and speed.

Warmup

Deadlifts (Speed Work)
135 lbs x 5
225 lbs x 5
295 lbs x 5
345 lbs x 5
*Beltless. Felt really light, as it should.

Bench Press (Speed Work - Between Close Grip + Regular Grip)
135 x 8
165 lbs x 8 x 3 sets
*Again, really light, but I still got a pump.

Exactly.

Another light day. My sense of accomplishment after the past 2 days is minimal, but it's always helped me to start low.

Warmup

Bench Press
135 lbs x 5
185 lbs x 5
205 lbs x 3
225 lbs x 3
235 lbs x 2

Bent Over Rows (Strict)
95 lbs x 8
135 lbs x 8
185 lbs x 8 x 3 sets

Warmup

Deadlifts
135 lbs x 5
225 lbs x 5
295 lbs x 3
345 lbs x 3
405 lbs x 3
*Beltless and easy. Just trying to get back in the groove.

Bench Press (Paused)
135 lbs x 3
175 lbs x 2
205 lbs x 1 x 10 sets
*First time ever really working paused benches. Also used wide grip for the first time ever. Singles were easy, so I took short rest periods.

Your AV is still tripping me out.

Someone on here messaged me saying he was the guy in the photo. Not sure if I believe him or not, but it'd be really fucking weird to see your picture as someone else's av. I probably need to change mine sometime.

Warmup

Squats
135 lbs x 5
225 lbs x 5
275 lbs x 3
315 lbs x 3
365 lbs x 3
*Everything felt really light and form felt solid.

Power Clean to Push Press
135 lbs x 3
175 lbs x 2
205 lbs x 1 x 10 sets
*Just working on trying to get form to be halfway decent. A couple singles felt good, a couple felt pretty bad, and the rest were mediocre.

You!

You follow MMA betting, explain this crap:
Betus.com said:
Mark Munoz +220
Chael Sonnen -300

Am I reading this right? Chael "I hit like Yoshida, and the best fight of my life was losing to Anderson Silva and then testing positive for PEDs" Sonnen is a heavy favorite over Munoz?

You!

You follow MMA betting, explain this crap:

Am I reading this right? Chael "I hit like Yoshida, and the best fight of my life was losing to Anderson Silva and then testing positive for PEDs" Sonnen is a heavy favorite over Munoz?

Those are the worst odds for Chael and the best for Munoz. On my site, Chael opened at -225. The public is betting on him though because he has been pushed to around -275. I believe -275 is about the average among betting sites.

Honestly, I don't think the line is that far off. Munoz's wrestling in MMA has been pretty weak to be honest. Sonnen's weakness is his top game against someone with a good BJJ bottom game. It's almost a given that he will put you on your back. The way he outwrestled Okami was pretty incredible. And once he's on top, he can stay active enough to keep you there.

I pretty much agree with the odds. I think Sonnen will take this close to 75% of the time. Dolloway had Munoz down in a heartbeat. I think Sonnen will do the same but keep him there.

It is possible that my hatred of over-hyped fighters may be coloring my thinking.

It is possible that my hatred of over-hyped fighters may be coloring my thinking.

I used to be a major Sonnen doubter myself, but it's hard to deny that his strengths can overcome a lot of fighters. He rarely loses a round. His major weakness is sub defense, but I don't think Munoz is a threat there. Ironically, Munoz is the guy that I'm not sold on. I think he's fairly mid-tier.

I used to be a major Sonnen doubter myself, but it's hard to deny that his strengths can overcome a lot of fighters. He rarely loses a round. His major weakness is sub defense, but I don't think Munoz is a threat there. Ironically, Munoz is the guy that I'm not sold on. I think he's fairly mid-tier.

Not sure what Sonnen has done to dispell any doubts you might have harbored: to my eyes, he hasn't changed an iota since he made Sobral's highlight reel at UFC 55.

But yeah, as I think about it more, the more I think that the oddsmakers are correct. Sonnen by decision (again), and more push behind a Sonnen/Silva II that owes far more to Silva's obliteration of the entire middleweight division than it does to any particular achivement of Sonnen's.

*insert sad MMA fan face here*

Another easy day.

Warmup

Speed Deads
135 lbs x 5
225 lbs x 5
275 lbs x 5
325 lbs x 5 x 3 sets
*Beltless, fast, and easy.

Paused Bench
135 lbs x 3
165 lbs x 3
195 lbs x 3
225 lbs x 3
*Wide grip with a good pause. Worked on speed off the chest on all of the warmups, but only the first rep of 225 lbs was fast.

Warmup

Bench Press
135 lbs x 5
185 lbs x 5
205 lbs x 3
235 lbs x 1 x 10 sets
*Experimented with different grips and setups for each. I figured out wide grip helps me stay tight on descent best, but bar speed going up is slow. Narrow grip is better for bar speed, but I have trouble staying tight on the descent. FML.

Bent Over Rows
135 lbs x 5
185 lbs x 5
205 lbs x 3 x 5 sets
*Blew through these. Focus was on bar speed, but this was still too light.

*Experimented with different grips and setups for each. I figured out wide grip helps me stay tight on descent best, but bar speed going up is slow. Narrow grip is better for bar speed, but I have trouble staying tight on the descent. FML.

Medium grip FTW.

Weird day.

Warmup

Deadlifts
135 lbs x 5
225 lbs x 5
295 lbs x 3
345 lbs x 2
415 lbs x 1 x 8 sets
*Beltless with little rest periods. Weight shifted to my toes on last single and something happened in my back. I'm not sure if my back is still fucked from when I hurt it before. It obviously held up fine in all of my other lifts throughout 2011, so maybe I'm just doomed on deadlift.

Bench Press
135 lbs x 5
165 lbs x 5
187.5 lbs x 15 (rep PR?)
*Was a bit worried about doing these after the issue with my back. Due to this, I didn't stay as tight or arch as much as normal. Honestly, bench felt stronger this way.

Oblivian, do you use the same grip on OHP that you do on Push Press? I know you've talked about having a narrow grip on Push Press. What about OHP?

Oblivian, do you use the same grip on OHP that you do on Push Press? I know you've talked about having a narrow grip on Push Press. What about OHP?

Yep. My hands are pretty close to where the knurling starts. Maybe about an inch in.

Back