Observation: Continuity of Self Exists Only When Sober

Daverisimo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've noticed, as I'm sure many who spend ample time in various altered states of consciousness have, that I am a fundamentally different person depending on what, if any, substances I am currently under the influence of. I've often looked, in the cold light of sobriety, at posts I've made on various online posting thingys or diary entries I've made while drunk or high and been completely perplexed as to the thought process that led me to write what I wrote. However, that same confusion exists when I'm under the influence of one substance or another and I read something I wrote under the influence of roughly the amount of the same substance. IDFK where I'm going with this, but I thought it was an interesting observation nonetheless.

I've noticed some people are more likely to act differently when under the influence than others. That there is a reserve of different sizes in people and when it's depleted the unconscious comes out to play.

Regarding consciousness I think it's continuity is an illusion.

I would assume you still feel there is a "self" when you're drunk or high. It's more that your memory gets messed up and/or that your actual thought process is altered. The continuity of the feeling of a self is unchanged.

There's also no reason to believe there is a "self" that's unchanging even when you're sober. You only have to look back over a long period of time to question what the hell you were thinking when you were younger.

I would assume you still feel there is a "self" when you're drunk or high. It's more that your memory gets messed up and/or that your actual thought process is altered. The continuity of the feeling of a self is unchanged.

There's also no reason to believe there is a "self" that's unchanging even when you're sober. You only have to look back over a long period of time to question what the hell you were thinking when you were younger.
I mean, yeah, the concept of "self" is a fundamentally fragile one, but to the extent that it actually holds up to any degree of scrutiny, it's entirely tied to memory imo, and I guess that's kind of my point. Mind altering substances temporarily create a new self that exists only while they are in effect.

At least, I think that's my point. I'm really fucking high right now.

I mean, yeah, the concept of "self" is a fundamentally fragile one, but to the extent that it actually holds up to any degree of scrutiny, it's entirely tied to memory imo, and I guess that's kind of my point. Mind altering substances temporarily create a new self that exists only while they are in effect.

At least, I think that's my point. I'm really fucking high right now.

There's no self that's unchanging even when you're not taking those substances. Your experiences and mental functions are just very different in that state. If you want to call that a "new self" then go for it but it doesn't make much sense imho.

I can't tell you to not experience what you're experiencing though, so enjoy the ride.

Yeah, when I drink I become loud, opinionated and argumentative... of course, that's exactly the same as I sober...

/shrugs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zygmunt
Back