Observations after taking a break for just one month...

Oldguy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have trained BJJ and Shotokan for the last 30 years. I have black belts in both. I am 56 now. For the last 2 years, I have been training Shotokan 6 days a week (class + self training).

I decided 3 weeks ago to take a break from martial arts. I now do three things:

1. 45 minutes of stretching every morning
2. 30 minutes of stationary bike or a 5 mile run every day.
3. 1 hour of weights 5 days a week.

IT IS LIKE BEING ON VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus, I have never felt better. Never. I have more energy and my mental attitude is improved. I am already seeing myself gain back muscle size and strength. It is pretty remarkable. No aches and pains. No bruises. No feeling of complete exhaustion.

I don't know how long this break will last. But, with how good I feel now, it might be hard going back on the hampster wheel.

I have trained BJJ and Shotokan for the last 30 years. I have black belts in both. I am 56 now. For the last 2 years, I have been training Shotokan 6 days a week (class + self training).

Plus, I have never felt better. Never. I have more energy and my mental attitude is improved. I am already seeing myself gain back muscle size and strength. It is pretty remarkable. No aches and pains. No bruises. No feeling of complete exhaustion.

I don't know how long this break will last. But, with how good I feel now, it might be hard going back on the hampster wheel.
I ditched BJJ for power lifting and haven’t looked back. If I get injured lifting, it’s my fault. Not because some asshole cranked a submission trying to be a gym champion.

what's your routine for the weights like?

I would probably seriously cut back the amount of martial arts training, replace it with what you've been doing. Sounds like a massive quality of life improvement.

Classes ain't built for old fucks, I'm nowhere near 56 (I'm 39), but I play American football and I've started to change the warm up for my particular needs, I start slower, more stretching etc. I expect I'll have to modify it as time goes on. I would absolutely love to be playing when I'm 50, beating the shit out of guys in their 20"s. Not sure how long the rides gonna last but I'm aiming to see it through.

Back