Officer Mohamed Noor faces murder charge in Australian woman's shooting death

Cops were called in for a person with a gun pointing it at people, right? So obviously they would not have known it was a toy. But I agree it was handled terribly and the cop that shot should have lost his job and gotten time. There was no reason to pull up that closely.

My point was just that this one was more than just “right up there” with Tamir Rice. It’s easy to see how the cops in that situation would go in ready to defend themselves. Here, not so much.
I recognize that you have a point as the report of a firearm on the scene gives the Tamir case added complexity. < That's my way of saying you're right.

At least we agree that in both instances the cop was fully in the wrong.

I recognize that you have a point as the report of a firearm on the scene gives the Tamir case added complexity. < That's my way of saying you're right.

At least we agree that in both instances the cop was fully in the wrong.
I guess we’ll just have to agree to agree.

I guess we’ll just have to agree to agree.

As awful as the Tamir Rice case was it's a bit less ambiguous than this poor lady. I remember seeing FB pictures of the poor kid holding other pistols or replicas with his mom standing there. Kid didn't have a chance.

*Replica pistol
*He was a very large kid
*Flourishing a REPLICA

Truly tragic, but your post is hyperbolic nonsense and a large part of why we'll never be able to actually remedy these things. Your rely on emotion. Facts be damned.
What emotions and hyperbole?

They pulled up right next to the kid and shot him in literally a few seconds.

Yeah, he was armed (immaterial if the gun was a replica or not as it looks authentic), but the situation was poorly handled at the very least.

As awful as the Tamir Rice case was it's a bit less ambiguous than this poor lady. I remember seeing FB pictures of the poor kid holding other pistols or replicas with his mom standing there. Kid didn't have a chance.
Yeah, that’s what I’ve been saying.

What emotions and hyperbole?

They pulled up right next to the kid and shot him in literally a few seconds.

Yeah, he was armed (immaterial if the gun was a replica or not as it looks authentic), but the situation was poorly handled at the very least.

Saying he was "executed" is pure hyperbole. It broke my heart watching that shit, but until we can separate emotion and be objective on how to better prepare and train police (and hopefully the fucking parents) for this shit... we'll just go round and round.

Saying he was "executed" is pure hyperbole. It broke my heart watching that shit, but until we can separate emotion and be objective on how to better prepare and train police (and hopefully the fucking parents) for this shit... we'll just go round and round.
Alright, point taken. That was useless hyperbole.

I still think they acted rashly.

Alright, point taken. That was useless hyperbole.

I still think they acted rashly.

So do I. I just know when we use hyperbole people tend to shut each other out and never reach a reasonable middle ground.

Cheers

So do I. I just know when we use hyperbole people tend to shut each other out and never reach a reasonable middle ground.

Cheers
Yeah, I'm usually rather careful with my language but just watched the Tamir video to make sure I got my facts right. Just minutes before I called it an execution. How's that for fact checking? Lol

Yeah, I'm usually rather careful with my language but just watched the Tamir video to make sure I got my facts right. Just minutes before I called it an execution. How's that for fact checking? Lol

It happens. Ha.

ABC (Australia) Article here worth reading or at least considering the following excerpt:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-21/justine-damond-mohamed-noor-police-officer-charges/9573122

US shootings dwarf Australia's
US police officers are routinely armed. So are Australian police. But there is a marked difference between these countries in relation to fatal outcomes.

No one can be certain exactly how many people are killed by police firearms each year in the US because there is no single repository for this information.

The Washington Post newspaper counted 963 fatalities in 2016. A public interest group, Fatal Encounters, estimated 1,500 people were shot by police each year from 2013 to 2015.

Let's take a conservative approach and agree the number to be 1,200 deaths per year. The US has a population of about 326 million.

In Australia, on average, around six to eight people are killed by police firearms each year. We have a population of 24 million.

This means that a civilian is about 12 times more likely to be shot and killed by a police firearm in the US than by a police firearm in Australia.

Why such a marked difference?

The literature tells us the number of civilian deaths caused by police firearms varies according to the standard of police firearms training, the rules that pertain to the police use of lethal force, and the gun culture in the society in which officers operate, including the level of militarisation of police forces.

There is little doubt that firearms training suffers when there are multiple providers and the lack of a common centralised provider.

This is important in the US context, given that there are some 15,000 police commands in that nation.

In contrast, we have only eight police commands across Australia, namely the police departments of the six states, the Northern Territory Police, and the Australian Federal Police.

Also, the rules pertaining to the deployment of police firearms in Australia are extremely demanding. In contrast, American police officers need only have a "reasonable belief" that a firearm should be deployed.

Finally, there is little doubt that the gun culture of the US is a factor in police shootings of civilians.

Officers in the US are primed to expect a gun on any routine encounter, given US citizens' ready access to firearms.

Indeed, a significant percentage — perhaps as high as a third — of US households has access to a gun. Only about 6 per cent of Australian householders own a firearm.

Somalian police.. Does the west need them?

Hopefully they pick a better one next time. Sad.

Yea pretty amazing he got charged. But far from a certainty he is convicted. My guess is his department was willing to throw him under the bus given his skin tone
Imagine that. Your guess is blatantly racist. Colour me shocked.

I have a English friend who says in England when pulled over it is considered polite and constomary to get out of your car and greet the cop. He tried to do that in the States and got a gun pulled on him. There seems like something is wrong of our culture

Different cultures. In the UK you will be thrown in jail for 'offensive' tweets. In the US you get a gun drawn on you for getting out of your car and putting an officer in a threatening situation.

It isn't hard to sit in your car with your hands on the steering wheel while you wait for the officer. A friend of mine was a cop in Sacramento. He pulled a guy over, and that man was a felon who got out of his car and shot my friend to death. Cops in the US do face a greater threat in such a situation.

Now the fuck face who shot a woman from inside his car, across his partners body deserves to be in prison.

Former Minneapolis Officer Noor convicted of 3rd degree murder in shooting death of woman who approached his patrol car after calling 911.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/...ustine-damond-ruszczyk-australia-noor-verdict

From the article:
A jury on Tuesday found former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor guilty on charges of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the killing of 911 caller Justine Ruszczyk.

He was acquitted of second-degree intentional murder. Noor was led out of the courtroom in handcuffs following the verdict. Sentencing is scheduled for June 7.

This is believed to be the first time a police officer in Minnesota has been found guilty of murder from shooting someone while on duty. Nationwide, such convictions are extremely rare.

Dude probably thought that's how cops in Somalia should act.

The Minneapolis police force should not have hired Mohamed, it was the wrong thing to do.

Back