Official 2012 London Olympics Judo Thread

how come each division has two bronze medals? I would've thought they'd fight off for it.

Holy shit there are some fucking huge guys in this 100+kg, some dude from Guam is nearly 500lbs.

Teddy Rhiner has got this. He's just so much more athletic than everybody else.

These women are damn fat, goddamn. Did you see that Polish fatass? Holy shit, like a female sumo wrestler.

lol stfu, I'm just saying attractiveness is usually what determines who I cheer for in women's sports, I mean come on, it's women's sports..
Silly women, thinking that they are real people like men. When will they realize that their life-long accomplishments are just an amusing sideshow for us?

Cute medal Kayla, now get back in the kitchen.
:icon_evil

well that men's finals sucked, two guys grip fighting and accumulating penalties, awesome

Teddy Riner Olympic gold run is pretty horrid. Winning on penalties? Really? No pins, throws. trips, pickup, chokes, or subs?

Other than that this guy will have mega celebrity status back in France.

The Cuban Ortiz, I give her style points for beating the Beijing medalist(i think gold) Sugimoto. That red-white-blue hair is the deal!

Teddy Riner Olympic gold run is pretty horrid. Winning on penalties? Really? No pins, throws. trips, pickup, chokes, or subs?
He threw Jaballah with an Uchi mata and held down Brayson. He was just taking zero risk of losing today, I think.

I don't disagree that watching him "out-grip" 3 out of 5 opponents is both tedious and beneath him.

He threw Jaballah with an Uchi mata and held down Brayson. He was just taking zero risk of losing today, I think.

I don't disagree that watching him "out-grip" 3 out of 5 opponents is both tedious and beneath him.

i do. the reason the sport keeps changing is to appeal to the olympic audience. most of what i saw were people too scared to lose. i think 3 out of every 4 matches i saw was won on yuko penalty.

not that it's the ref's fault. i don't get how the hell you can train for 4 years, show up at the olympics, and stall. no guts, no glory right?

especially Teddy Riner. dude ran through worlds this year on ippons.

i'm personally disappointed with Judo this year. i'm stoked for Marti and Kayla, really am, but none of the rule changes made since 2008 made this year any better to watch. if anything, it made it even more tedious.

my judo is about throwing or submitting my opponent, not playing a game for points. but i'm not an olympian.

I cant say all the fights were about scared to "lose". But in the lower seeds through out the tournament there were spectacular takedowns(throws,trips, or pickups), pins, and subs.

At least I notice that the refs were allowingthe judo fighters to work the ground more than 2008.

But if the IJF is going to tinker with the rules(again), they should losen the leg grab restriction- which ironically did not deter leg grab attacks- but most important of all get rid of winning on penalties and allow for omore transition that would deter further stalling. I.e. if someone belly flops in a failed attack, the attacking opponent should have the option to follow through with newaza. But some judo fighters were content to be stood up again.

They do have the option to follow up after a belly flop, but you spent vastly more energy getting a purely defensive opponent turned over/pinned/submitted than it takes for the staller, and most of the time you're going to get the matte before it's complete which makes that wasted energy.

Uh, I'm not accusing Riner for boring matches. For of all he attempted some legit uchi matas. Second, his opponents dropped to their stomach as soon as it was getting a little tricky. Sobody can beat Riner.

Question:

On someone's advice (I forget who), I watched some matches from the All-Japan Championship, all of which took place in 2009 or later. I was amazed by the difference in grip-fighting and ground work. Much less of the former and more of the latter.

What is the reason for these differences?

Question:

On someone's advice (I forget who), I watched some matches from the All-Japan Championship, all of which took place in 2009 or later. I was amazed by the difference in grip-fighting and ground work. Much less of the former and more of the latter.

What is the reason for these differences?

One is IJF the other isn't

One is IJF the other isn't

All Japan actually went to IJF rules in 2010 I think, though I do feel the refs allow a lot more groundwork than most international refs. As for the grip fighting, I think it's just the Japanese style to do less. That's always been a criticism of Japanese fighters, though I'm not sure it's substantial.

i do. the reason the sport keeps changing is to appeal to the olympic audience. most of what i saw were people too scared to lose. i think 3 out of every 4 matches i saw was won on yuko penalty.

not that it's the ref's fault. i don't get how the hell you can train for 4 years, show up at the olympics, and stall. no guts, no glory right?

especially Teddy Riner. dude ran through worlds this year on ippons.

i'm personally disappointed with Judo this year. i'm stoked for Marti and Kayla, really am, but none of the rule changes made since 2008 made this year any better to watch. if anything, it made it even more tedious.

my judo is about throwing or submitting my opponent, not playing a game for points. but i'm not an olympian.

Judo is about submitting and throwing an opponent that wants to submit and throw you back.

Judo by its definition as a martial art is reactive, not pro-active, and the rules are there to reflect that "philosophy", if one guy doesnt wants to fight he gets penalties and then loses for that reason.

You cant possibly blame someone from winning on penalties because his opponent was overly defensive.

Back