Official 2012 London Olympics Judo Thread

I cant say all the fights were about scared to "lose". But in the lower seeds through out the tournament there were spectacular takedowns(throws,trips, or pickups), pins, and subs.

At least I notice that the refs were allowingthe judo fighters to work the ground more than 2008.

But if the IJF is going to tinker with the rules(again), they should losen the leg grab restriction- which ironically did not deter leg grab attacks- but most important of all get rid of winning on penalties and allow for omore transition that would deter further stalling. I.e. if someone belly flops in a failed attack, the attacking opponent should have the option to follow through with newaza. But some judo fighters were content to be stood up again.

Sorry but you must have only watched a few fights as well as been unlucky with the ones you chose.

The stats are in for this Olympics and 47.5% were won by ippon. With the number of positively scored Yukos and wazaris being nearly double the number of ippons.

Fights in which there were more than 1 shido were in the minority (40%) the number in which there were more than 1 on one player will be smaller still and the number in which a scoring penalty was decisive lower still.

Its difficult for me a direct comparison with Beijing as I watched most of this one live in the arena and the last one on tv but in both cases I saw most of the fights.

This year the hw finals session, the u73s and the u48s were all disspointing but pretty much every other session/weight was fantastic.

4 years ago the 73s were fantastic and nearly every other category was a bit flat.

I wasnt a believer in them but the rule chanes reall have made the difference.I hope they leave them as they are for a bit.

The high points in the arena like Stevens/, the u90 round of 32 and gibbons's ippons were by far the best moments of live sport I've experienced.

Back