Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skylake-S and Skylake-X have been both massive disappointments. Broadwell was desktop vaporware, and it's not like Ivy Bridge (before Haswell) was a world-ender, either, with the modest improvement over Sandy Bridge, and the onset of heat issues with overclocks due to the obsession with shrinking the die without sacrificing clock. AMD just wasn't firing back with anything beyond glorified pre-overclocked refreshes, and so Intel was slowly expanding their already substantial lead, unchallenged, during those generations.

Yes, I'm well aware, I know of your @5.2GHz clock ambitions, and it's not like it's difficult to divine that this is the #1 reason almost all Intel gaming fans gravitate towards Intel.

AMD has definitely been playing some stupid games with the releases, but they're an underdog, so I tend to forgive them a bit more. They're still having trouble making a profit despite all the sales.
Why was skylake-s a dissapointnent? We seen improvements across the board and lower temps.
The only people I see complaining about 7700k overclocking temps is when they start getting above 4.8 and have to start adding voltage, which is to be expected.

Why was skylake-s a dissapointnent? We seen improvements across the board and lower temps.
The only people I see complaining about 7700k overclocking temps is when they start getting above 4.8 and have to start adding voltage, which is to be expected.
Excuse me, my mistake, not Skylake-S, part of the Skylake family which was one of the more exciting releases-- Kaby Lake. The Kaby Lake 7700K saw a ~3-5% IPC improvement over the 6700K. Meanwhile, going back a handful of generations, Sandy Lake was something like a ~30%-35% improvement over Westmere, IIRC.

The 7700K was launched in January, 2017.
The 6700K was launched in August, 2015.

Uggh. Furthermore, for someone like myself who doesn't only follow desktop and laptops CPUs, but also mobile CPUs (like Qualcomm/Exynos/Mediatek) that have been cracking out 25%-40% improvements every generation almost every 12 months during that same time period...it's underwhelming. I understand that's not apples and apples, but it influences my thinking and inevitably frames my perspective, in part.

Excuse me, my mistake, not Skylake-S, part of the Skylake family which was one of the more exciting releases-- Kaby Lake. The Kaby Lake 7700K saw a ~3-5% IPC improvement over the 6700K. Meanwhile, going back a handful of generations, Sandy Lake was something like a ~30%-35% improvement over Westmere, IIRC.

The 7700K was launched in January, 2017.
The 6700K was launched in August, 2015.

Uggh. Furthermore, for someone like myself who doesn't only follow desktop and laptops CPUs, but also mobile CPUs (like Qualcomm/Exynos/Mediatek) that have been cracking out 25%-40% improvements every generation almost every 12 months during that same time period...it's underwhelming. I understand that's not apples and apples, but it influences my thinking and inevitably frames my perspective, in part.

The 7700k was about 10% faster than the 6700k
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700K/3647vs3502

WCCFTech is saying the i7-8700k is supposed to be 11% faster than the i7-7700k. But there's rumors of it going to 6/12. That my friend, is something to get excited for if both are true.

That's synthetic performance measurement that is in thanks part to an increase in clock. IPC is clock vs. clock.
So now synthetics don't mean anything?
I know what IPC is.

Anyone see game mode for Threadripper. It improves performance but changing memory layout and cutting out SMT.

You also open up over-clocking to over 4 ghz. Compared to a 1700 it overs a 15 to 30 percent game play improvement. It''s not recommended for productivity application because SMT is turned off..

You have to enable it at boot because it changes memory layout. Apparently it cannot be done with Ryzen 1700.

So now synthetics don't mean anything?
I know what IPC is.
I'm not moving the goalposts. That was the metric I was intending to compare. It's difficult though because while Sandy Bridge improved IPC radically over Westmere, it also brought the expansion to quad core (from dual core) in the same price class. Typically expansions to quad core mean taking a frequency hit, more than anything, too, and that wasn't the case.

There's no need to be glib about this. If you grasped this with such effortless command, then you would have realized offering a 10% synthetic improvement in UserBenchmark for the 7700K over the 6700K is a bit asinine when the synthetic improvement of the i5-2500K, for example, over its predecessor, the i5-655K, was 66%:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-K-655-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K/m9077vs619
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7600K/3503vs3885
Pay particular attention to the single core improvements.
  • i5-655K = May 2010
  • i5-2500K = January 2012
Same time frame.

Last edited:

i see this card is still trolling the 1080GTX

Anyone see game mode for Threadripper. It improves performance but changing memory layout and cutting out SMT.

You also open up over-clocking to over 4 ghz. Compared to a 1700 it overs a 15 to 30 percent game play improvement. It''s not recommended for productivity application because SMT is turned off..

You have to enable it at boot because it changes memory layout. Apparently it cannot be done with Ryzen 1700.
Yes. It really didn't do much, and in the games with the best multicore scaling, that tend to take better advantage of threads, it actually resulted in lower framerates.

290x Stock card, but its gotta go....

i am gonna do this evolotion very slowly...

Lets say you purchased the 1080ti today. When are you planning to by the new cpu, mobo and ram?

290x Stock card, but its gotta go....

i am gonna do this evolotion very slowly...

I wouldn't go above an RX480/GTX 1060 6gb personally with that CPU. Either one of those wouldn't really be an upgrade either compared to your 290x. Is the cooler noise bothering you?
What resolution are you looking for?
Personally I'd upgrade your CPU first/mobo/ram first

I wouldn't go above an RX480/GTX 1060 6gb personally with that CPU. Either one of those wouldn't really be an upgrade either compared to your 290x. Is the cooler noise bothering you?
What resolution are you looking for?
Personally I'd upgrade your CPU first/mobo/ram first

na i just noticed the performance is taking shit and im very anal about cooling.

right now 1440p

but im looking at going over to the 4k gods, my true calling has called an i believe its time.

The AMH 40in monitor is pretty sexualized

Lets say you purchased the 1080ti today. When are you planning to by the new cpu, mobo and ram?

im doing this steady and slowly, but i 8700k seems like where i was gonna put my shit down. i was gonna order some new ram here an have it ready just to have it ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.