Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
na i just noticed the performance is taking shit and im very anal about cooling.

right now 1440p

but im looking at going over to the 4k gods, my true calling has called an i believe its time.

The AMH 40in monitor is pretty sexualized
Unfortunately you're at that point that if you want to hit 4k, you're going to need to upgrade both your GPU and CPU.
You can always but the 1080ti now and use it with the 8350 until the 8700k comes out. Just keep in mind that the 8350 is going to severely hold it back and I don't think you'd have a good 4k experience.
Remember to hit up Micro Center when you decide to get your cpu/mobo. They offer insane deals on cpu/mobo combos.
Watch Slick Deals or Reddit's Build a PC Sales if you plan on buying ram now. Personally I'd wait until you purchase your cpu.
Do you currently have a SSD?

Unfortunately you're at that point that if you want to hit 4k, you're going to need to upgrade both your GPU and CPU.
You can always but the 1080ti now and use it with the 8350 until the 8700k comes out. Just keep in mind that the 8350 is going to severely hold it back and I don't think you'd have a good 4k experience.
Remember to hit up Micro Center when you decide to get your cpu/mobo. They offer insane deals on cpu/mobo combos.
Watch Slick Deals or Reddit's Build a PC Sales if you plan on buying ram now. Personally I'd wait until you purchase your cpu.
Do you currently have a SSD?

im actually picking one up this week. SSD and the DDR4 ram will be getting order in preparation

im actually picking one up this week. SSD and the DDR4 ram will be getting order in preparation
A SSD would be a great upgrade for you right now. I went from 1080 to 4k and it was awesome, but the HDD to SSD leap was my biggest noticeable performance improvement. I think a lot of people would agree @Madmick @Cygnus A @mr.bigglesworth
Personally I'd wait on the GPU purchase until you do your CPU. Maybe you could step up to a Titan whatever the new one is if you put money aside while you wait.

A SSD would be a great upgrade for you right now. I went from 1080 to 4k and it was awesome, but the HDD to SSD leap was my biggest noticeable performance improvement. I think a lot of people would agree @Madmick @Cygnus A @mr.bigglesworth
Personally I'd wait on the GPU purchase until you do your CPU. Maybe you could step up to a Titan whatever the new one is if you put money aside while you wait.

i wouldnt buy a titian ever, but im gonna take a shot at an SSD maybe 2 if i can.

I definitely agree that the SSD will be the biggest boost to your performance.

You're in a really weird situation considering that your laptop is better than your desktop, Ghost. GPUs age faster than any other components, by miles, and any GPU you buy that is a significant improvement over the GTX 1060 in that laptop is going to be hamstrung by the FX-8350.

I would recommend devoting your cash instead to a new build. If you're set on the Coffee Lake 8700K for your CPU, then I'd suggest that you keep squirreling away cash until that is released, and then buy the best Mobo/RAM/SSD combination you can around that CPU. Ride your laptop hard in the meantime-- get your money's worth out of it. The sum of all four of those components should be approximately equal to the GTX 1080 Ti (~$700+). Subsequently, start squirreling away cash again, while still riding your laptop, and when NVIDIA releases its next GPU line, you can throw your money at a better value purchase that will significantly improve performance over your laptop by that point, and looks for their GTX 1170 or whatever it will be; on the AMD side, I bet the RX Vega 64 will be around the same price (probably lower) as that incoming 1170-- having aged by that point.

Well it's official Intel is losing their collective minds by announcing the ice lake this early. It's literally at least a year away from production. They are still building the fab to make them in quantities and are still having production run problems. They know even though AMD gives up some in the performance to some of their chips it makes up huge price advantages from 300 to 700 in the Threadrippers case and they will not even ship its competitor till November. Intel is seriously burning cash right now trying to pull out another winner. They know this is a first generation Zen part and that AMD will learn how to ring out more performance out of it. Unfortunately for AMD though I cannot say the same about their new Vega chip though it's good at mining gaming it falls in the middle of the 2 year old 1080 line. Nvidia getting ready to unleash their newest generation and looks like an absolute monster on the performance bar.

How does an ssd improve performance? From what I've heard, it'll basically only affect load times. If it can improve my performance, I'm gonna plunk down 90 on newegg and snag myself a 250gb one...

How does an ssd improve performance? From what I've heard, it'll basically only affect load times. If it can improve my performance, I'm gonna plunk down 90 on newegg and snag myself a 250gb one...
It's not going to increase your FPS but it makes your computer feel snappier. Windows boots faster, programs load faster, etc. They also have lower power consumption which helps out in laptops.
When you add an SSD to your current system, it feels like when you buy a new computer and everything feels snappier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Z906-5-1-500W-Surround-Sound-Computer-Speaker-System-Black/282610070409?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=41376&meid=65aabda101c242c39f34e018d816a715&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=302401592588&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
I definitely agree that the SSD will be the biggest boost to your performance.

You're in a really weird situation considering that your laptop is better than your desktop, Ghost. GPUs age faster than any other components, by miles, and any GPU you buy that is a significant improvement over the GTX 1060 in that laptop is going to be hamstrung by the FX-8350.

I would recommend devoting your cash instead to a new build. If you're set on the Coffee Lake 8700K for your CPU, then I'd suggest that you keep squirreling away cash until that is released, and then buy the best Mobo/RAM/SSD combination you can around that CPU. Ride your laptop hard in the meantime-- get your money's worth out of it. The sum of all four of those components should be approximately equal to the GTX 1080 Ti (~$700+). Subsequently, start squirreling away cash again, while still riding your laptop, and when NVIDIA releases its next GPU line, you can throw your money at a better value purchase that will significantly improve performance over your laptop by that point, and looks for their GTX 1170 or whatever it will be; on the AMD side, I bet the RX Vega 64 will be around the same price (probably lower) as that incoming 1170-- having aged by that point.

my laptop? i dont have one so your saying wait tell the next line of GTX cards come out? it just sucks because i love my amd build.

guys this what im taking a shot at. Now maybe there will be a Korean 40in 4k with HDR here soon....but im gonna flex it

besides it seems 4k is more crisp at 32in+

guys this what im taking a shot at. Now maybe there will be a Korean 40in 4k with HDR here soon....but im gonna flex it

I wouldn't want a 40 inch display on my desk. I currently have 27 and when I upgrade I'd get 32. I don't want to be cross-eyed lol

I wouldn't want a 40 inch display on my desk. I currently have 27 and when I upgrade I'd get 32. I don't want to be cross-eyed lol
well i was thinking about mounting well above my desk and have another monitor as my main...

im fiddling with ideas (and dreaming of cable management)

well i was thinking about mounting well above my desk and have another monitor as my main...

im fiddling with ideas (and dreaming of cable management)
If you have lots of space and options to place it it may be worth it.

What did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?
Have you ever seen Wendell without his beard?
Rf1rfxs.jpg

The one you just bought, the Korean 40" 4k one.

oh i haven't bought it yet, but i found one for 480$ before. They are currently out of stock,
i also thought about waiting for one of these Korean company's to make 4k monitor with HDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.