Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you understand everyone's concern. If they required his skills to make a new chip, what are they going to do for the next gen? Are they just going to keep piling on more cores like last time? I remember reading the AM4 socket is supposed to be around until 2020 or 2021.

I agree plus he is getting old he has been in the industry as long as I have been and he has loads of money. One can only figure that he will want to retire after his Tesla stint on his own private island or something counting his money. :)

I agree plus he is getting old he has been in the industry as long as I have been and he has loads of money. One can only figure that he will want to retire after his Tesla stint on his own private island or something counting his money. :)
Some company will hire him as a "consultant", basically the same thing companies do with ex NFL players.

@PEB Did you see there's rumors going around that intel is going to release hyper threaded i5's. Even if AMD Ryzen under performs, it's forced Intel to step up and at least shake things up a bit.

@PEB Did you see there's rumors going around that intel is going to release hyper threaded i5's. Even if AMD Ryzen under performs, it's forced Intel to step up and at least shake things up a bit.
Competition always good and that is the reason Papermaster said is why Wall Street kept them around. He knows that Intel alone to dominate the space kills innovation. AMD aways fought for their position and Wall Street loves it.

Forbes is reporting that AMD's new 8 core 16 thread Ryzen 7 1700 is posted as costing just $317. That's right the one that performance wise matches the 1,100 dollar Intel monster. If that rumor turns out true that will clobber Intel.

Top it off thanks to Samsung production technology the chip is 10 percent smaller and has more L2 cache then the 1,100 extreme addition chip.

They could completely grab up a sizable portion of all X86 production. I don't know how legit this news is but if it's real Intel has a big problem.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl...-revealed-massive-blow-to-intel/#54c29ebe6e7c

Can't say I really believe that. The idea that AMD somehow managed to undercut Intel in performance/price by a factor of three seems incredibly far fetched.

Can't say I really believe that. The idea that AMD somehow managed to undercut Intel in performance/price by a factor of three seems incredibly far fetched.
I doubt it more because I thought they would go for profit over marketshare.

Why try to hurt Intel in the pocketbook when they can far more afford to cut deeply in a price war than you can?

I doubt it more because I thought they would go for profit over marketshare.

Why try to hurt Intel in the pocketbook when they can far more afford to cut deeply in a price war than you can?
AMD has to walk a fine line, they need a response from intel but not a huge response, if that makes any sense.
I don't know if you watch Barnacules, but he had a good point on one of the tech talks. Intel is probably sitting there with a couple of next generations sitting on the shelf. If AMD really undercuts them price wise and performs better than the current Intel, Intel will just pull what they have off the shelf that beats AMD performance wise and undercut them.
AMD doesn't have the funds to get in a pricing war. Yet.

Some people are complaining about the source wccftech but they been pretty reasonable lately with their information. Not that I completely take their information as fact but the numbers do seem to pan out.

Other news an 8 core 16 thread CPU with 16 megs of L2 cache is going to sell for under 350 dollars. This is the one commonly beating the snot out of Intel Core i7-6700 4 core while having a slower clock but four additional cores.

"Last is the Ryzen 7 1700 ($319). Like the other two, it boasts 8 cores, 16 threads, an 16MB of L3 cache, but slower clocks at 3GHz to 3.7GHz. This one doesn't support XFR.

http://hothardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-processors-detailed-65w-95w-tdp-skus#YePI3oTjWIcFJq80.99"

I'm really excited for Zen - if only to breathe some life back into the market. Intel has kind of been dragging their feet when it comes to IPC performance increases from one generation to the next.

While I probably don't need to upgrade, the opportunity for a competitive 8 core CPU at a reasonable (<$500) price is too good to pass up.

I may just sell my 4770k while I can still get a decent amount for it and build a new system around Zen. Some guys who apparently have ES samples over on overclocking.com say that it clocks very well - if so, it could be a game changer. Older guys will remember when the AMD Athlon curb stomped Intel (up until the Core2Duo)

Some people are complaining about the source wccftech but they been pretty reasonable lately with their information. Not that I completely take their information as fact but the numbers do seem to pan out.

Other news an 8 core 16 thread CPU with 16 megs of L2 cache is going to sell for under 350 dollars. This is the one commonly beating the snot out of Intel Core i7-6700 4 core while having a slower clock but four additional cores.

"Last is the Ryzen 7 1700 ($319). Like the other two, it boasts 8 cores, 16 threads, an 16MB of L3 cache, but slower clocks at 3GHz to 3.7GHz. This one doesn't support XFR.

http://hothardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-processors-detailed-65w-95w-tdp-skus#YePI3oTjWIcFJq80.99"
I'd more more interested in a 4/8 core than an 8/16. Most people aren't going to use over 4 cores, maybe 6 if they're streaming.

I'm really excited for Zen - if only to breathe some life back into the market. Intel has kind of been dragging their feet when it comes to IPC performance increases from one generation to the next.

While I probably don't need to upgrade, the opportunity for a competitive 8 core CPU at a reasonable (<$500) price is too good to pass up.

I may just sell my 4770k while I can still get a decent amount for it and build a new system around Zen. Some guys who apparently have ES samples over on overclocking.com say that it clocks very well - if so, it could be a game changer. Older guys will remember when the AMD Athlon curb stomped Intel (up until the Core2Duo)
I remember being exited for Athlon and then building a core 2 duo because I was able to get more performance for less money.

That's why I'm so exited about ryzen. I can get the top end setup for less than just a CPU from Intel and its also a better overall machine.

I remember being exited for Athlon and then building a core 2 duo because I was able to get more performance for less money.

That's why I'm so exited about ryzen. I can get the top end setup for less than just a CPU from Intel and its also a better overall machine.
Completely agree AMD is great at shaking up things.

Check out these numbers
CPU-Z-Ryzen-Benchmark.jpg
of an AMD 230 dollar chip VS a 620 dollar Intel chip.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to seeing some real reviews of all this stuff.
Hopefully it all turns out great. Not in the market for a new system quite yet, getting a 1080 ti once it's available but that's about it, but I wouldn't complain about i7 perf at an i5 budget when the time comes in 2 years.

Hopefully it all turns out great. Not in the market for a new system quite yet, getting a 1080 ti once it's available but that's about it, but I wouldn't complain about i7 perf at an i5 budget when the time comes in 2 years.
I can't wait to see what they have for APU's. An i5 equivalent with even a 470 stacked for around $250 would be a very popular option.

It would not be surprising to me because opteron was one of AMD's most profitable brands. I don't know if ECC is really needed for PC's especially low cost PC's. But if they give the end user the option it maybe a good choice for them when building a workstation class PC. Top it off many of AMD's head design engineers came from building mainframe CPU's and minicomputers such as the DEC VAX and IBM 9000 series CPU's so ECC is something they likely pushed for in their line.

Fun fact I used to work on the DEC VAX memory line and that was a long time ago. :)

It's amazing to me how many old line guys who worked in the late 80's and early 90's on large machines are working on Ryzen CPU. It's not like a bunch of 20 something who are designing this bad boy.

Last edited:
I agree but the chip going to be sold out for months if you don't get it early. I get the feeling from the hype train this thing going to be even harder to get then a cabbage patch kid. :) I don't see where AMD does not sell a million of these things in the first month. The 1700X is the one I am interested in even though it's on the higher side of things it seems to hold it's own with the Intel i7-6900K. And no I don't own stock in the company I just know that AMD could put out an amazing product once they got their act together.

Wccftech Cores/Threads L3 TDP Base Turbo XFR Overclocking
Unlocked
Price
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8/16 16MB 95W 3.6GHz 4.0GHz 4.0GHz+ Yes $489
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8/16 16MB 95W 3.4GHz 3.8GHz 3.8GHz+ Yes $389
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8/16 16MB 65W 3.0GHz 3.7GHz N/A Yes $319
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 6/12 16MB 95W 3.3GHz 3.7GHz 3.7GHz+ Yes $259
AMD Ryzen 5 1500 6/12 16MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A Yes $229
AMD Ryzen 5 1400X 4/8 8MB 65W 3.5GHz 3.9GHz 3.9GHz+ Yes $199
AMD Ryzen 5 1300 4/8 8MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A Yes $175
AMD Ryzen 3 1200X 4/4 8MB 65W 3.4GHz 3.8GHz 3.8GHz+ Yes $149
AMD Ryzen 3 1100 4/4 8MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A Yes $129

It looks like the Ryzen 5 1500 and Ryzen 5 1700 are going to be the biggest sellers. Extra 30 dolars for 2 more cores seems like a no brainer but having the higher clock speed of the 1400X may influence people.

EDIT: I am still leaning more towards Nvidia as I just got a new Nvidia GPU for cheap money the 1050 ti and it's a substantial improvement over my 4 year old GPU. So very likely I will be going for the 1070 for my new build.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.