Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burned out I would imagine. Seven day work weeks not seeing your family sometimes weeks at a time. You deliver a product that AMD can build on your job is done. He got HBM2 running AMD can improve it he can take a break hang with the wife an kids.

Burned out I would imagine. Seven day work weeks not seeing your family sometimes weeks at a time. You deliver a product that AMD can build on your job is done. He got HBM2 running AMD can improve it he can take a break hang with the wife an kids.
I don't think he'll get a break, he went to Intel. I would have bet the house on him going to Tesla.

Sounds like he was more interested in VR acceleration at the hardware level, and right now AMD just doesn't have the sprawl for that. They're pinched trying to keep up in classic computation.

It looks like he's being tasked with making Intel's iGPU great again.
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Edito...ns-Intel-Build-Discrete-Graphics/Intel-Answer
I read that in particular he was trying to advance the hardware-accelerated VR capabilities of the onboard GPU.

So they simply bought him for the intellectual property he stores in his brain of GPUs (where AMD is more advanced than Intel) and his personal interest in the oncoming VR world's impact on hardware production & business (where NVIDIA is more advanced than Intel).

Double lammy.

Has anybody read anything on Coffee Lake Pentiums? They have released 3 product names but that's it. I'm curious to see if the finally step them up to 4 cores at lower clocks than the i3's or stay 2/4.

I read that in particular he was trying to advance the hardware-accelerated VR capabilities of the onboard GPU.

So they simply bought him for the intellectual property he stores in his brain of GPUs (where AMD is more advanced than Intel) and his personal interest in the oncoming VR world's impact on hardware production & business (where NVIDIA is more advanced than Intel).

Double lammy.
I wonder if his knowledge of implementing HBM2 was part of it as well. I read that Intel is working on a co processor to work with Xeons for deep learning. It's supposed to have 32gb of HBM2 embedded. I don't remember much else about the co processor, the article I read was from a couple of months ago

Last edited:
WTF AMD.

AMD launched their RX 560 earlier this year, delivering the same Polaris architecture as AMD's older RX 460 but with 128 more GCN 4.0 GPU cores and higher base and boost clocks speeds.

These improved specifications made the RX 560 a much more compelling offering for budget PC gamers, though now it looks like AMD has downgraded the specifications of this new GPU model. AMD has edited the official specs of this GPU to allow models with either 896 or 1,024 to be used, allowing weaker GPUs to sell under the RX 560 banner.

This move is horrible for the consumer, as it was done without an official announcement to the press or consumers, allowing weaker graphics cards to sell with no visible changes to their RX 560 branding. Earlier in the year, these weaker RX 560 series GPUs have been sold with the RX560D name in the Chinese market, with these GPUs now being sold without any visible changes for consumers to notice.

Below are images which showcase AMD's specification changes between May and December of this year, effectively allowing weaker "RX 460 rebrands" to be marketed as RX 560 GPUs.
https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_changes_the_official_specifications_of_their_rx_560/1

It looks like we'll see Zen+ in April

Intel/AMD mobile beast.

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
  • 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD + 1 TB HD
  • AMD Radeon RX 480
For a 1000 Eur. What do you guys think ?
I think there's not so much difference between a 480 and 580.

But you hear so many talking about power usage and tempature of
AMD stuff. Is it a myth ? Any how much percent more power does AMD use than Intel ?

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
  • AMD Radeon RX 480

AMD stuff. Is it a myth ? Any how much percent more power does AMD use than Intel ?

I don't know how your prices are normally, but converting from EUR to US dollars that's about in the right price range.
Last generation AMD products had the issues with power and temperature. This generation is a huge improvement and you shouldn't worry about power draw or temperatures.

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
  • AMD Radeon RX 480

The things you heard about the old FX processors don't apply to the Ryzen series, at all.

I don't know how your prices are normally, but converting from EUR to US dollars that's about in the right price range.
Last generation AMD products had the issues with power and temperature. This generation is a huge improvement and you shouldn't worry about power draw or temperatures.

The things you heard about the old FX processors don't apply to the Ryzen series, at all.

Do you guys think a RX480 is still good for someone, who barely plays
heavy games ?

Status
Not open for further replies.