Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second video does a pretty good analysis of the benchmark performance VS Intel's current offering and that their 16 core chip coming at the end of Aug. will have a 3.4 ghz base clock and overclock to 4.2 ghz. That being said Intel supposedly going to be sending out their next generation chip to be tested in a week I guess.

Keeping competitive pressure and price on Intel is forcing them to stay competitive good for everyone. Intel still leads in single core performance and that's likely driving AMD nuts by a small margin but still stings AMD keeps pricing pressure on Intel people will for only a marginal hit will keep AMD going.

I hear early next year AMD starts sampling 7nm EPIC chips for servers putting them at least 8 months to a year ahead of Intel and possibly 3 months ahead of Intel to 10nm. I would be interested in hearing what kind of performance hit they will get.
The 32-core is a stupid, pointless CPU because of the disabled channels.
Anandtech said:
2990WX%20vs%202950X%20v2_575px.jpg

When some cores are directly connected to memory, such as the 2950X, all of the cores are considered equal enough that distributing a workload is a fairly easy task. With the new processors, we have the situation on the right, where only some cores are directly attached to memory, and others are not. In order to go from one of these cores to main memory, it requires an extra hop, which adds latency. When all the cores are requesting access, this causes congestion.

In order to take the full advantage of this setup, the workload has to be memory light. In workloads such as particle movement, ray-tracing, scene rendering, and decompression, having all 32-cores shine a light means that we set new records in these benchmarks.

In true Janus style, for other workloads that are historically scale with cores, such as physics, transcoding, and compression, the bi-modal core caused significant performance regression. Ultimately, there seems to be almost no middle ground here – either the workload scales well, or it sits towards the back of our high-end testing pack.

Part of the problem relates to how power is distributed with these big core designs. As shown on page four, the more chiplets that are in play, or the bigger the mesh, the more power gets diverted from the cores to the internal networking, such as the uncore or Infinity Fabric. Comparing the one IF link in the 2950X to the six links in 2990WX, we saw the IF consuming 60-73% of the chip power total at small workloads, and 25-40% at high levels.

In essence, at full load, a chip like the 2990WX is only using 60% of its power budget for CPU frequency. In our EPYC 7601, because of the additional memory links, the cores were only consuming 50% of the power budget at load. Rest assured, once AMD and Intel have finished fighting over cores, the next target on their list will be this interconnect.

But the knock on effect of not using all the power for the cores, as well as having a bi-modal operation of cores, is that some workloads will not scale: or in some cases regress...

This is the point where I mention if we would recommend AMD’s new launches. The 2950X slots right in to where the 1950X used to be, and at a lower price point, and we are very comfortable with that. However the 2950X already sits as a niche proposition for high performance – the 2990WX takes that ball and runs with it, making it a niche of a niche. To be honest, it doesn’t offer enough cases where performance excels as one would expect – it makes perfect sense for a narrow set of workloads where it toasts the competition. It even outperforms almost all the other processors in our compile test. However there is one processor that did beat it: the 2950X.
This is an exercise in benchmark showboating. I don't care about people circle jerking over theory that has little application or relevance to the real world. Wall Street clearly didn't understand why the RX video cards were such a success, nor did they understand the oncoming market landslide that the first generation of Zen and EPYC represented. Now they're all freaking about AMD, these dilettantes who understand nothing but the current stock price, and not why that stock price came to be. This should have been their reaction 18 months ago-- I was right here predicting that future.

My crystal ball is unimpressed. AMD's future, especially now that China has their IP, is less certain and bright than it was 18 months ago. Zen2 is a solid sequel, but not the game-changer Zen1 was. Those buying now missed the bus. There might be some short term gains, but long term, for GPUs, NVIDIA is the sure thing, and for CPUs, it's all about the lower-cost ARM manufacturers.

The 32-core is a stupid, pointless CPU because of the disabled channels.

This is an exercise in benchmark showboating. I don't care about people circle jerking over theory that has little application or relevance to the real world. Wall Street clearly didn't understand why the RX video cards were such a success, nor did they understand the oncoming market landslide that the first generation of Zen and EPYC represented. Now they're all freaking about AMD, these dilettantes who understand nothing but the current stock price, and not why that stock price came to be. This should have been their reaction 18 months ago-- I was right here predicting that future.

My crystal ball is unimpressed. AMD's future, especially now that China has their IP, is less certain and bright than it was 18 months ago. Zen2 is a solid sequel, but not the game-changer Zen1 was. Those buying now missed the bus. There might be some short term gains, but long term, for GPUs, NVIDIA is the sure thing, and for CPUs, it's all about the lower-cost ARM manufacturers.

You may want to enlighten wall street with your brilliant post. AMD is being stated as having huge upside with their stock. Many popular YouTube hardware testers are not happy with intel. Realize having AMD around forces Intel to step up their games. Killing off AMD will just send Intel into slow motion again.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...rmance-with-amd-threadripper-2-use-linux/amp/

Last edited:
You may want to enlighten wall street with your brilliant post. AMD is being stated as having huge upside with their stock. Many popular YouTube hardware testers are not happy with intel. Realize having AMD around forces Intel to step up their games. Killing off AMD will just send Intel into slow motion again.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...rmance-with-amd-threadripper-2-use-linux/amp/
Intel is going to be feeling the heat very shortly.
ARM is setting it’s sights on intels i5.

RM Cortex A76 cores are set to be used on products later this year, with ARM projecting that this core design can offer similar performance levels to Intel's Core i5 7300U. 2019 will bring with it ARM's Deimos 7nm core design, and 2020 will bring the company's 7nm/5nm Hercules core microarchitecture, which is each designed to deliver 15%+ performance gains over their respective predecessors.
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/arm_targets_core_i5_in_latest_client_roadmap/1

You may want to enlighten wall street with your brilliant post.
Sure. Which Wall Street investor do you want me to enlighten? Because I have a wide series of posts in this MMA subforum/thread alone that form a public history demonstrating I'm worth being heard on this specific stock.
AMD is being stated as having huge upside with their stock. Many popular YouTube hardware testers are not happy with intel. Realize having AMD around forces Intel to step up their games. Killing off AMD will just send Intel into slow motion again.

You demonstrate this by linking a non-YouTube reviewer from Forbes with an article that is critical of Windows in comparison to Linux. I must have missed a step. Also, nobody said anything about wanting there to be less competition, or for AMD to die off, and I've specifically talked about my personal desire for them to succeed for that reason.

Why are you always shilling so hard for AMD? I'm genuinely curious.

Sure. Which Wall Street investor do you want me to enlighten? Because I have a wide series of posts in this MMA subforum/thread alone that form a public history demonstrating I'm worth being heard on this specific stock.

You demonstrate this by linking a non-YouTube reviewer from Forbes with an article that is critical of Windows in comparison to Linux. I must have missed a step. Also, nobody said anything about wanting there to be less competition, or for AMD to die off, and I've specifically talked about my personal desire for them to succeed for that reason.

Why are you always shilling so hard for AMD? I'm genuinely curious.

First thing I don't own any AMD shares or have anyone I know who works for AMD. I would like to return this question to you why do you continue to support Intel so hard.

I talk about AMD because they were the first to move to 64 bit, went out and brought a high performance APU to the market by acquiring GPU maker ATI, continues to innovate in areas such as lower cost servers, workstations and small form factor computing ahead of Intel.

Without AMD there keeping Intel honest we may have waited 5 more years for 64 bit still waiting for a competitive GPU solution "even now Intel announced another new duel module with an AMD Radeon GPU after the success of kaby-Lake G" .

You see where I am going Intel far from the innovator they pertain to be heck they even at one time wanted to split the high end with the low end with a very expensive new architecture featuring VLW computing itanium.

The thing retailed for 3 grand an higher an required an entirely new version of Windows to run it.

AMD came out with the windows compatible opteron CPU forcing Intel to adopt AMD 64 bit instruction set AMD64 an for a time had to call it AMD64.

I think after reaching a very expensive deal with AMD they were able to drop the AMD64 moniker. This while realizing that AMD was less then 1/5th the size of Intel.

AMD is now in every single major gaming console and soon a new Chinese console totally dominating console gaming space.

First thing I don't own any AMD shares or have anyone I know who works for AMD. I would like to return this question to you why do you continue to support Intel so hard.

I talk about AMD because they were the first to move to 64 bit, went out and brought a high performance APU to the market by acquiring GPU maker ATI, continues to innovate in areas such as lower cost servers, workstations and small form factor computing ahead of Intel.

Without AMD there keeping Intel honest we may have waited 5 more years for 64 bit still waiting for a competitive GPU solution "even now Intel announced another new duel module with an AMD Radeon GPU after the success of kaby-Lake G" .

You see where I am going Intel far from the innovator they pertain to be heck they even at one time wanted to split the high end with the low end with a very expensive new architecture featuring VLW computing itanium.

The thing retailed for 3 grand an higher an required an entirely new version of Windows to run it.

AMD came out with the windows compatible opteron CPU forcing Intel to adopt AMD 64 bit instruction set AMD64 an for a time had to call it AMD64.

I think after reaching a very expensive deal with AMD they were able to drop the AMD64 moniker. This while realizing that AMD was less then 1/5th the size of Intel.

AMD is now in every single major gaming console and soon a new Chinese console totally dominating console gaming space.
Who cares? It took x64 nearly two decades before its advantages over x86 became a relevant technology to gamers, and the real pioneers here were IBM. Innovation for the sake of innovation doesn't mean much.

Apple innovated x64 compatibility for ARM processors, but I don't recall a love affair with them. Asus innovated the hybrid form factor laptop/tablet, but I never saw you shilling biscuits for them. This is about the technology as it relates to stock price. Intel has done remarkably well, too, during the recent history in question, but it doesn't stop you from being a 24/7 bear on them instead of creaming yourself over their APU/iGPU innovation, or any other success:

df927133-5f0f-4797-a129-bac3a765235a.png

Your "analyses" is so swamped in bias that it gets irritating at times to read the drivel in your posts. You approach AMD as a gullible cheerleader rather than as a skeptical gamer or tech observer. It's like you're copy/pasting AMD marketing hype off a newsletter or something.

Who cares? It took for x64 nearly two decades before its advantages over x86 became a relevant technology to gamers, and the real pioneers here were IBM. Innovation for the sake of innovation doesn't mean much.

Apple innovated x64 compatibility for ARM processors, but I don't recall a love affair with them. Asus innovated the hybrid form factor laptop/tablet, but I never saw you shilling biscuits for them. This is about the technology as it relates to stock price. Intel has done remarkably well, too, during the recent history in question, but it doesn't stop you from being a 24/7 bear on them instead of creaming yourself over their APU/iGPU innovation, or any other success:

df927133-5f0f-4797-a129-bac3a765235a.png

Your "analyses" is so swamped in bias that it gets irritating at times to read the drivel in your posts. You approach AMD as a gullible cheerleader rather than as a skeptical gamer or tech observer. It's like you're copy/pasting AMD marketing hype off a newsletter or something.

You still have not stated you interest in Intel own stock? Your family works for them or have any ties to them. Seems like a simple enough question. I already stated to you my position on AMD pretty clearly.

I obviously write for the world's premier supercomputing website. They manage the world benchmark. Read below.

https://www.top500.org/news/amd-may-be-about-to-beat-intel-at-its-own-game/

You still have not stated you interest in Intel own stock? Your family works for them or have any ties to them. Seems like a simple enough question. I already stated to you my position on AMD pretty clearly.
ROFL at you trying to spin that on me. I'm not the one who shits on Intel no matter what they do, and fellates AMD no matter they do. I've been positive and negative for both on various launches. You are the only one clouded in a suspicion of bias.

But, to satisfy anyone who believes I'm being clever or evasive, no, I own no Intel stock, and have no ties to that specific company. If anyone in my family owns that stock they don't talk to me about it, and likely don't know themselves, since our portfolios are not (micro)managed by ourselves.
I obviously write for the world's premier supercomputing website. They manage the world benchmark. Read below.

https://www.top500.org/news/amd-may-be-about-to-beat-intel-at-its-own-game/
So how did Wall Street feel about you shitting on Intel for the past half dozen years while its stock soared? Or do you only do that here while you aren't freelancing?

Status
Not open for further replies.