[OFFICIAL] Jean Pascal vs Lucian Bute 5/25: Biggest Fight in the History of Canada

Broadcast

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
29q19ig.jpg

Rival Montreal promoters Yvon Michel of GYM and Jean Bedard of Interbox came to an agreement to match their stars, former light heavyweight champion Canadian-Haitian JEAN PASCAL and former super middleweight titleholder Romanian-Canadian LUCIAN BUTE, in what would easily be the biggest fight in Canadian history.

"It's the biggest ever fight in Canada. They will meet probably on May 25, with Bute rising in weight from 168 pounds to 175 to fight in Pascal's division. I have already had phone calls from the Bell Centre, from Olympic Stadium and a football stadium in Quebec City. Pascal would have made $700,000 fighting Dawson. He will make more than $2 million to fight Bute.", Michel said.

The biggest fight in Canadian history was in 1980, when Roberto Duran won a 15-round decision to win the welterweight world title in his first fight against Sugar Ray Leonard at Montreal's Olympic Stadium. Pascal-Bute would be bigger in Canada because it would involve fighters who are beloved in Quebec where they are big ticket sellers.

Said Bedard: "Everybody here [in Canada] has wanted the fight for a long time. It will be the biggest event in boxing history in Canada."

The deal comes as such a surprise. Pascal has had a deal in place, although not signed, to face light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson on May 25 on HBO in a rematch at the Bell Centre.

ESPN

Last edited:
Pick em fight. Pascal isn't a guy who just stands in front of someone, so Bute will need more than his uppercut.

I think Pascal does well early, probably builds a lead and then gets caught with something late but it will be too little too late. Pascal is durable.

I feel like Bute will lose this fight.

So they will scrap Dawson/Pascal II to have Pascal/Bute in May. Dawson was apparently offered 600k to fight someone else on the undercard of the event. There is also a rumor going on that actually the HBO wanted to scratch Pascal-Dawson to have Pascal-Bute at Montreal Olympic Stadium. The entire venue could be sold out.

Bute's going to sleep again

Its weird how they spent all those years building him and bam

Chuvalo was pretty much limited. Good was Duran versus Ray Leonard. But these two who are fighting today are Canada-based.

It's about time because if I hear Yvon Michel say ''Livre pour livre'' one more time,
I swear...

from now on people who post topics slightly similar to something someone else posted should have their limbs picked off and their body boiled in oil.

Well I'm glad you're on board with that Z, thought you might need some persuading.

Pick em fight. Pascal isn't a guy who just stands in front of someone, so Bute will need more than his uppercut.

I think Pascal does well early, probably builds a lead and then gets caught with something late but it will be too little too late. Pascal is durable.

I give it a 50/50 for those exact reason.

Pascal fights all out first 4 rounds, than rush last 15 second of later rounds.
Bute start with a slow pace but build up as fights go one.
(Kind of like Vitali Klitschko but with much less KO power)

They are both tailored to beat one an other and it was already proven.
Froch beat Bute by rushing him early.
B Hop came back in both Pascal fights.

(not underminding Froch and Hopkin, those are much more than the simple previously mentioned strategy)

I agree that Bute seemed to focus too much on the uppercut in his last few fights, but he can do other things. Actually, it's a fairly recent weapon in his arsenal. I remember Larouche saying they really focused on the uppercut for the Miranda fight and he's been abusing it ever since, since he got success with it. Not that he never used it before (especially to the body, or at least somekind of hook/uppercut hybrid), but prior to the Miranda fight he was using his straight punches a lot more.

Bute's gonna get beat bad. Not quite as bad as he was by Froch, but not a mile off.

Bute's gonna get beat bad. Not quite as bad as he was by Froch, but not a mile off.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that.

Bute might be more damaged since the Froch fight. I think it could be a close fight, and Pascal could win certainly, but this fight has been talked about for years around here and from what I heard through the years from people who have worked with them (sparring partners, trainers), a lot of them seem to favour Bute. I think it's a hard fight to predict and any bold and easy prediction of a one-sided fight like that just seems absurd.

if bute can get past the first four rounds, he should be good; pascal fades and fades badly, bute has enough athleticism power and offensive skills to stop him if/when jean gasses.

Back