Official JMMA Discussion Thread Vol. 3 ~VEE-TEE-JAY~

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edwin

The other 2 threads got locked, so here's the new one.

I know the thread title's cheesy, but you get what you can.

Official Non DREAM JMMA Thread. aka Official JMMA Discussion Thread Vol. 1

JMMA Thread - Shiroobi Appreciation Station aka Official JMMA Discussion Thread Vol. 2

DEEP is crowning a new BW champ in April, so I have no idea what's up with DJ.taiki. I know he's Tweeted how depressed he is since he hasn't received an offer from the UFC and Saeki recently Tweeted a photo of a meeting he had with him at the DEEP IMPACT GYM, but he didn't say anything about it.

I asked him on Twitter if he was hanging them up, but he hasn't gotten back to me. If he does I'll post what he tells me about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news; DJ.taiki just replied he hasn't decided to retire yet.

I would be a pity if he did. He is on a nice streak, and he is only 31 years old. He could be having a few more years of prime. Somebody in Asia, or even an american organization, should pick him.

inoki will crush sakicanbaras new org

Shigeki Osawa's streak of inconsistency continued. He drew with Toru Harai this weekend-- an underrated guy, but still someone you would've expected Osawa, who was on a 3-fight winning streak and had just upset Uno, to defeat. Also, Tezuka beat his opponent, Hayato Suzuki won the 125-lb Grachan belt, one of Kawajiri's teammates beat the guy that A_OK_I twister'd last year and extended to 10-3-3 with a six-fight winning streak, and I think he's gonna fight Kengo Ura for the 155-lb Grachan championship. Yoji Saito's also gonna be Tezuka's next defense, and a couple other interesting fights happened. Now it's all about the UFC Japan card (and the ONE Championship card after that, with former K-1 and Sengoku fighter Jadambaa Narantungalag, Roger Huerta and former Legend FC champion Koji Ando.) Yuya Shirai's fighting this week on a Tribe Tokyo card-- which also has a 4-0 prospect and an 8-2 Tribe Tokyo prospect on it-- and the 2014 Shooto 123-lb rookie winner's fighting on a Shooto card with a bunch of fights from this year's rookie tournament, but that's about it.

In some obscure news, Yuki Shojo won at the ZST event this weekend. He fought at 123-lbs. for this one and won a decision against the 11-9-3 Yusuke Uehara. This news made my weekend, fight-wise, and thus it lifted my spirits a little about other stuff. Funfact: it was his first fight back at 125(3) since 2011 (it might be just a one-off, but it might be a move back up), and it was the first time he'd fought outside of Shooto since 2004 (at least as far as I know, and according to fightfinder.)
For the rest of the card, the 19-year old prospect Go Kashiwazaki defended his ZST title and became 14-0-2 in the main event. The Kazuyuki Miyata student Kaito Sakamaki won the ZST interim 125-lb belt in the co-main, and another BRAVE fighter, Takahiro Ashida, won his first fight in 17-months with a first-round knockout and became 14-6, so it was a good night for BRAVE gym. It was originally supposed to be a fight between Sakamaki and the champion Seiichiro Ito, but Ito was injured.
Shooto Watanabe also got the biggest victory of his career so far in a 90-second submission against the 12-6 Kohei Kuraoka, who fought for the ZST 135-lb championship last year. "The Guillotine" Yo Saito also won via-- you guessed it-- majority decision against Keisuke Fujiwara, who was the ZST 135-lb champion before Go Kashiwazaki usurped him. Shooto and The Guillotine are both in the mix for the 135-lb belt now, and Kashiwazaki's got his hands full.
Yuji Hoshino was also in a tag-team match, and Fedor was at the event and gave a quick speech to the crowd (just about how much he likes ZST and how he wants them to be involved with Rizin.)

Seems Sakakibara had some positive things to say about Sakamaki and Kashiwazaki.

Ito vs Sakamaki should be a good fight, hopefully Ito isn't out long. 3 solid Flyweight prospects for ZST in those 2 and Hatta, would be cool to see Shojo brought back to test them.

DEEP card coming up is stacked, plus IGF card in April is looking real good as well. Some solid JMMA around the corner.

Yeah i wanted to wacth this weeks grachan card they really are pretty good i think they only stream on some jpapanse phone app doe

I just saw the newest VTJ card. Thank god we can get more JMMA now. the dry spell was terrible.

Sarumaru came up short yet again in a title fight, Nobita called out Sunabe again for a future fight in Shooto. Also Hironaka relinquished his belt.

For the rest of the card, Hiromasa Ogikubo-- the former Shooto 132-lb champion (also the former pacific rim champion), 2007 Rookie champion and the Vale Tudo Japan 125-lb grand prix champion [and VTJ champion? It's been reported that he's both the grand prix winner and the actual VTJ champion, but I'm not sure what's what]-- won his first fight in 14-months against the former title contender and 2009 rookie champion, Yosuke Saruta, by decision. It was apparently a competitive fight, but Ogikubo's wrasslin', which has always been very good, but seems to have gotten supercharged since dropping to 125, lead him to the decision.
The 2013 Shooto 132-lb rookie king, Daichi Takenaka, got the biggest victory of his now-9-fight career (and a gigantic victory in its own right) against the 41-fight veteran Shoko Sato, who was 6-1 in his last 7 fights and coming off a big upset victory over Tatsuya Ando going into the fight. Takenaka was already a very promising prospect, but he's a very legit prospect now and a contender for the Shooto 132-lb championship.
Tyson Osawa-- former Shooto Pacific Rim 154-lb champion and UFC: Road to Japan contestant-- got injured shortly before the event and his fight with Takumi Ota was canceled. Sadface.
Hiroki Aoki-- interestingly, both the winner of an 8-man, one-night Pancrase Neo-Blood tournament and runner-up in that tournament's later-date final-- submitted his second opponent in a row in the first round. He's also a pretty big 155-er for Japan.
Tatsuya Ando bounced back from a two-fight losing streak (including his exhibition loss in the Road to Japan tournament) and got a first-round knockout.
Taiki Tsuchiya-- former Shooto Pacific Rim champion who was on an impressive six-fight winning streak in 2011 (featuring victories over Shintaro Ishiwatari, Hideki Kadowaki, Issei Tamura, and Gustavo Falciroli)-- broke his Shooto losing streak by decision (however, he won a fight in DEEP against a debuting Korean a couple months ago.)
Tomoya Hirakawa, who trains under Takanori Gomi at RSCL, got a very good victory over Joji Mikami, and he may be a prospect to watch out for.
In 115-lb action, divisional darkhorse- and Hearts fighter Tateo Iino bounced back from his upset loss against Sho Nishida by wrestlefucking his opponent to a decision (one judge gave him a 10-8 round, even.) I like Iino; he's scrappy and he's improving.
In the opening fight on the card, Kazumasa Sugawara lost a decision against the Shooto 2009 183-lb rookie, Takehiro Suzuki. The fight apparently could've been a draw, but Sugawara had a point deducted for grabbing the ropes.

Also, Sarumaru's now officially the Shooto post-2008 Urijah Faber. Keeps getting title shots, but can't win 'em. He's got the potential to, though, unlike Faber, whose one-note striking keeps failing him.

For the Pancrase card in Hawaii that we all forgot about, Eric Prindle beat Mitsuyoshi Nakai [again] by finishing him [again...] in the first-round [quicker!] by submission [different!]. I still think he'd be the perfect opponent for Fedor at Rizin; he's physically imposing (so the Japanese could appreciate the spectacle), he's got some name-recognition, he's on a winning streak, and he's just in that sweet spot of being beatable- but still tough and skilled enough to not look passed.
In the main-event of the show, Yoshiaki Takahashi broke a 5-fight losing streak by submitting the now-3-2 Hawaii Elite [the gym that houses Russel Doane, Louis Smolka and Lowen Tynanes] member Ryan De La Cruz in the second round.
Taichi Nakajima also broke a losing streak (two fights) by decisioning Dan Ige.
Edward Thommes became 4-0 by submitting Kosuke Terashima, who lost against Masakatsu Ueda on short-notice at the beginning of the month.
Arnold Berdon-- who got KO'd by former ranker Tyson Nam a few months ago-- bounced back with a KO of his own over Kazuhisa Tanaka.
Makana Fronda got a pretty good victory in his sophomore professional appearance by decisioning the now-43-fight (19-16-8) Japanese veteran "Chris Man."
All in all, Hawaii went 3-2 against Japan in the five "Hawaii vs. Japan" matches.
In the opening bout, Nicole Upshaw KO'd Brianna Fissori in her first professional bout.

In some cool Pancrase news, Hiromitsu Miura's fighting again on the year-end Pancrase card, as is Will Chope, who's won four fights (finishes) since losing against ISAO in August- and since moving up to 155. Miura's fighting a 36-fight veteran and Chope's fighting Kenichiro Togashi, who's on a three-fight winning streak. On that same card, Sho Nishida's making his Pancrase debut against a Pancrase 115-er in Shingo Yakul, who's on a three-fight winning streak. Masatatsu Ueda-- a Pancrase Neo-Blood winner who had a competitive fight with the now-20-2 Rildeci Lima Dias at the last Pancrase card-- is also fighting on the card.
Jun Nakamura-- the forgotten 115-lb submission wizard-- is returning after three years on the Pancrase 273 show. He's fighting the 2010 Pancrase 125-lb Neo-Blood runner-up Yoshihiro Matsunaga. Nakamura was the 2011 Shooto 115-lb rookie champion and went 6-0 with 5 submissions before disappearing from the sport after 2012, so it's cool that he's back. Pancrase 273's really looking good.

Edit:

Motonobu Tezuka also got a 40-second knockout in his Grachan title defense against Yoji Saito, and Fumiya Sasaki drew with Kensaku Nakamura in a rematch of their fight from earlier this year. Sasaki-- who was 7-10 going into the first fight-- knocked out Kensaku in a big upset (Kensaku was the Grachan champion before Tezuka usurped him, and a Pancrase one-night-Neo-Blood-tournament winner, and, going into the fight, he was 12-2 since 2010), then he lost two against former #1-ranked 145-er Lion Takeshi and Yoji Saito. So it's easy to see how there could be some fluke-ish feelings about that fight. But Sasaki proved his worth (at least somewhat) by drawing with Kensaku in the rematch.
Yoji Saito beat both Sasaki and Kensaku en route to his title shot, so it was a good victory for Tezuka. This was also Tezuka's second sub-60-second knockout in a row.

^How'd you watch it?

Hiromasa Ogikubo's making his long-awaited (injury-laden) comeback against Yosuke Saruta's on the November Shooto card. Ogikubo's the favorite, clearly, but Saruta's very skilled and could pull off an upset (especially after a 13-month layoff for Ogikubo.) 135-lb prospect Daichi Takenaka's also fighting on that card against Shoko Sato, who just upset Tatsuya Ando.
That card's starting to look good. Those big Shooto cards always end up being solid. Nobita Naito vs. Sarumaru, Ogikubo vs. Saruta, Takenaka vs. Shoko, and you've got Tike and the 115-lb scrapper Iino. This'll be Sarumaru's fourth shot at the Shooto 115-lb belt, and, if you include his bid in the 2008 rookie tournament, his fifth shot overall at winning a title in Shooto. Also, with a win over Sarumaru, I think Nobita will set a record at 115 for most consecutive wins. Rambaa won some fights at 125 before, but his streak at 115 was only 8-0, and Sunabe's been jumping between 120 and 125 for his past 12-fights, but Nobita's already gone 9-0 and fought exclusively at 115 since his debut.

Also, on the upcoming Vale Tudo Japan card, Minowaman's fighting That Guy, and Matsune's fighting former-125-lb ranker Sean Santella. I'd assume that Santella would be moving up for the fight. Edit: it's at 125. Ryota's moving down. If he can win impressively and plans to continue fighting, even at 35 and as injury-cursed as his career's been (he was Dominick Cruz before Dominick Cruz-- in more ways than people may realize), he may be able to stage a little late-career comeback. Double-edit: according to fight finder, Ryota's fighting VTJ 125-lb tournament also-ran Kana Hyatt now. Looks like something happened with Santella.
Oh, how I'd love to watch this card...
I also just found out that Sunabe's rematching Abe for the 115-lb King of Pancrase. This'll be Sunabe's first fight at 115-- he's fought at 120 during his tenure at 115, so how he does in this fight will tell a lot (I'd prefer it if 120 was a more universally-recognized division like 115's starting to be, but, since it's not, hoping that Sunabe will dominate at 115 just as hard as he's been at 120 is the next best thing-- those five pounds are a killer when you get this low compared to, like, 170 or 185.) Hopefully this one's on Fight Pass, too-- I'm vehemently opposed to giving any of my money to the UFC, but this has really left me in a dilemma...

What was the result of the Nobita vs Sarumaru fight? Dec, submission??

Good news; DJ.taiki just replied he hasn't decided to retire yet.

good. i can understand why he's frustrated, but it would be a mistake to retire now. i would think some US organization would be interested in him, even if the UFC isn't.

Anyone who wants to watch VTJ PM me

Also, I never thought I'd ever see Matsune fighting again

Decision (49-46, 49-47, 48-47) so sounds like it was pretty competitive. Results and pbp here, but it's in Japanese
shooto_151129shooto-09-naito-sarumaru-4.jpg

shooto_151129shooto-09-naito-sarumaru-6.jpg

shooto_151129shooto-09-naito-gian.jpg

One day, these threads will be documented heavily by aliens looking for information on human sports and the posters will be considered heroes.

Also, VTJ is the best thing to happen to JMMA in five years.

SOME RUMORS ABOUT SAKICANBARA NYE

HW TOURNMENT 500K

THEY HAVE A 4 TO 4 1/2 TIME SLOT ON FUJI

THEY WILL USE PRIDE RULES

ALSO I TRIED TO READ A OLD PRIDE INTERVIEW FROM THEIR WEBSITE TOOK ME TO FIGHTPASS THINGY lol

Damn never thought we'd see Matsune again either. Just realise BJ Kojima hasn't fought since his loss to Leone as well, a year and a half ago.

In some pretty cool Grachan news, Motonobu Tezuka called out Shigeki Osawa and wants to be a two-divisional Grachan champion.
I'm down.

One day, these threads will be documented heavily by aliens looking for information on human sports and the posters will be considered heroes.

Also, VTJ is the best thing to happen to JMMA in five years.

The card is stacked from top-to-bottom. Even the FLW tourney is a great idea, and includes some big names. Will they broadcast the event in Ustream??

Shinichi BJ won a split decision at the VTJ in Okinawa card. From what I understand, the general consensus was that the 19-month layoff hurt his performance, which was exacerbated by his age, now at 36 [though the Japanese-36 has, historically, had a tendency to not be nearly as severe as the everywhere-else-36], though he still had his moments and he didn't look shot or anything. His opponent was also a lot tougher than his (now) sub-.500 record would suggest, and, apparently, turned in a better performance than he had in his last few fights, so it was a good victory.
For the rest of the card, Matsune got a first-round victory over late-replacement (and also-ran in the VTJ 125-lb tournament) Kana Hyatt. That Guy decisioned Minowaman-- that's gonna bum a lot of people out (but at least he didn't get knocked out.) Ken Asuka also won via majority decision in his first fight at 125 (it's unknown if he's gonna stay at 125 or drop down to 115; a lot of good 115-ers wanna fight in the UFC, so they move up to 125 for that chance, like Mikihito Yamagami did, and Ken Asuka could be like that-- but that's all just a thought.) Wataru Miki also got a knockout; that guy's been a contender for the Pac Rim title for a while now, and he also fought in the Cage Force 155-lb tournament in '07, and his only losses since '07 have been against pretty good guys, just for some funfacts related to his career.

tokoro camp said that he cant figth vtj anymore cause they didnt change the campuzano fight result they said if vtj cant even follow their own criteria then cant possible participate anymore.

lol@at shoetoe hopefully there a stream cant give these clown shoes money

i bougth igf,pantscrase,derp,load fc though but i must draw the line somewhere

rizin rumors tk will fight again female football player has blogged about being on the card

tokoro camp said that he cant figth vtj anymore cause they didnt change the campuzano fight result they said if vtj cant even follow their own criteria then cant possible participate anymore.

that's too bad, but i can understand his frustration. tokoro should have won that fight.

New DEEP middleweight champ. RYO beat Yoshiyuki Nakanishi today in Osaka.

Oh no, what's he going to do only being their LHW champion???

--

DEEP needs to quit ducking me.

I SEE YOU SAEKI. I SEE YOU KEN HASEGAWA. YOUR O MUST GO. I WILL BEAT YOU OFF OF THE MEGATON DIVISION, YOU'RE NOT BIG ENOUGH TO DANGLE WITH US REAL MEGATONS. REAL MEGATON G's HANG TO THE LEFT.

New DEEP middleweight champ. RYO beat Yoshiyuki Nakanishi today in Osaka.

wow, great for RYO. he's been around for ages and never gotten a big win.

with out tokoro shoetoe is finished

he was only there fighting so he can come to ufc like uno but whats the point if shoetoe has nakai hating on him

[YT]pyTXsTPM8Rs[/YT]
Hayato Suzuki's KO from Grachan 19. Quick and brutal. 14-0-2 now at 29 years old, time for him to take a big step up (should've happened after he beat Saruta).

Tokoro was probably going to be in the FLW tourney. He would have taken the spot held by Kana Hyatt or Freddy Arteaga.

...wait is this a one night tournament?

Motoya won as well, Sakakibara was in attendance so we might be seeing Yuki again at the end of the year

Tokoro was probably going to be in the FLW tourney. He would have taken the spot held by Kana Hyatt or Freddy Arteaga.

...wait is this a one night tournament?

No, I read that they will have the semis and finals in future events. The tourney already looks good, but with Tokoro on it the thing would have been awesome.

what funny is that uno is sponsoring this event he is practically paying the tuffest guys to come beat him up so he can get back in the ufc

wow what a great hero

Tokoro's like Peter Pan; he's never gonna grow old.

I doubt that Uno's gonna get a chance in the UFC unless they take their Japanese expansion seriously... meaning they'll have enough cards in Japan to always be able to make a good amount of money off of Uno, never having to worry about his fighting-timeline not matching up with their next Japan card.

photos show new rizin ring having led light in the ropes

People forget that Uno was well-regarded enough to be the first mixed martial artist to get a Nike endorsement/contract. His 10AC and other lines were pretty popular a few years ago, I don't know how they're doing now.

i think i read i rumor one of the guys they use i think a gracie pulled out cause he gonna fight on nye

he has his own high end athletic wear label called 100athletic its pretty much the same aestheic he used for when he was designing for nike

It is very sad to see Kitaoka get smoked at this stage of his career.

Other things that happened at Pancrase:
-Sunabe now has a thirteen fight winning streak. Also, he wants to fight the Shooto champion/friend to robotic cats Nobita Naito
-Hiromitsu Miura returned for some reason and won
-(Masakatsu) Ueda won and (Masatatsu) Ueda did not
-Kondo, Betao and Murofushi all won

All the Japanese focus has been on Rizin lately, but, in other news, the end-of-November Shooto card's complete.

Main event-
115-lb title fight: Nobita Naito vs. Sarumaru

Co-main event-
125-lb bout: Yosuke Saruta vs. Hiromasa Ogikubo

Undercard-
135-lb bout: Shoko Sato vs. Daichi Takenaka
145-lb bout: Tyson Osawa vs. Takumi Ota
155-lb bout: Hiroki Aoki vs. Akihiro Izumi
135-lb bout: Taiki Tsuchiya vs. Yosuke Ebihara
135-lb bout: Ken Hattori vs. Tatsuya Ando
145-lb bout: Joji Mikami vs. Tomoya Hirakawa
115-lb bout: Tateo Iino vs. Hiroyuki Takahashi
155-lb bout: Kazumasa Sugawara vs. Takahiro Suzuki

There're some very interesting fights on there. I've said it before, but this'll be Sarumaru's fourth shot at a Shooto world title (and fifth overall at a Shooto title) and he's knocked out three opponents in a row in highlight-reel fashion (which says a lot at 115), while Nobita's on a hot streak and everyone's hoping, with Sunabe's drop to 115, for a classic cross-promotional Shooto vs. Pancrase matchup between him and Sunabe. If Sarumaru finally manages to win the Shooto belt he longs for, a fight between him and Sunabe could also be on the horizon, which potentially, with its exciting-striker vs. exciting-striker matchup, offers more intrigue than the fight with Nobita Naito.
Ogikubo's a forgotten contender at 125 (just due to injury-laden delays) and one of the hottest unsigned fighters in the division right now, and Saruta's a former Shooto world title challenger who has the skills to pull off an upset.
Daichi Takenaka's a 25-year old prospect who won the 2013 Shooto 132-lb rookie tournament, and he's getting the classic Shooto step-up in competition for their rookie winners against the 41-fight veteran who just upset Tatsuya Ando in September, Shoko Sato.
Tyson's making his professional debut at 145 (though he fought at 145 in the TUF house) against the #9-ranked (in Shooto) fighter Takafumi Ota. The winner's definitely gonna get thrown right in there for title contention.
Akihiro Izumi won the 2014 Shooto 154-lb rookie tournament, and he's getting another Shooto rookie-winner step-up in competition against the big 16-9-2 fighter who's finished his opponent in 10 of his last 11 victories, Hiroki Aoki.
Ando was arguably the #1 Japanese prospect earlier this year, but losses against Yashabo and Sato derailed a lot of that, and he's hoping to make his comeback against the 4-2 Ken Hattori.
Joji Mikami's a 5-2 Shooto prospect who knocked out Shigeki Osawa last year in a gigantic upset, and he's fighting another prospect in the 5-3 Pancrase and Shooto veteran Tomoya Hirakawa, who's on a three-fight winning streak with two first-round finishes.
Tateo Iino's a scrappy 115-lb darkhorse who's coming off a loss against Sho Nishida after he got three first-round rear-choke finishes. The guy he's fighting, meanwhile, is coming off his first victory.
Finally, Kazumasa Sugawara's a 5-3 finisher with four first-round victories in his five career finishes, and he was on a four-fight winning streak before he lost against the aforementioned Hiroki Aoki. He's fighting the 2009 Shooto 183-lb rookie tournament winner Takahiro Suzuki, who last fought in the 2013 Shooto Infiniti tournament, losing to eventual tournament winner- and later Shooto Pacific Rim champion, Tyson Osawa. This'll be Suzuki's third fight since 2012.

Also, in 115-lb news, I saw that Masayoshi Kato's fighting Takahiro Kohori-- the guy that upset Sho Nishida's 6-fight winning streak a couple months ago.

Did Shooto officially switch all their weight classes to the unified weights, or do they still use the Shooto weights for their title bouts?

everyone is boycotting it beacuse of the tokoro situation

That's just stupid.. yeah, Tokoro should have won, but seriously? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back