Official Judo Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good session tonight. Reminded me why I fucking love Osoto Gari. :p

Any tips on a good Osoto?

I have never got one in class. :(

Believe in it.

Drive through with your chest while sucking him in to your chest with your hikite. Your tsurite should be working to get all of his weight on the leg you're attacking.

Believe in it.

Don't halfass the reap. Lead with your chest (as an extension of your hara) but your leg needs to really cut his out from under him.

Believe in it.

Attack off of circular movements, not just straight back and forth. You can also attack it when he is moving towards you by drawing his leading foot farther than he meant to step.

Okay, some random tips. I don't know what in particular you're struggling with so, yeah:

I personally find that once you're past their defence (a stiff arm especially) the tsurite grip is the most important in executing Osoto Gari. I like to create kuzushi by driving my knuckles hard up under the jaw as I enter and directing uke's head up and diagonally backwards (same idea as the Tenri wrist) - I've actually thrown just with this in shiai with my opponent having avoided the reap but been off-balanced and continued to the ground as I pushed their head down to the mat. Most people today seem to throw with a HCG, but I find a standard lapel grip to be better personally (unless you're much taller than your opponent) as it gives you more options and isn't telling your opponent that you're probably going to attempt Osoto Gari.Bump your chest hard into their's to further aid the kuzushi and to ensure that you're close enough. With the hikite I pull down and around leading my opponent to where they will land.

Execute the reap at a 45degree angle, not straight ahead like you're always taught as a beginner.

Reap with a pendulum action through your whole body, don't just peck at the leg. Point your toes.

Osoto Gari requires full commitment, or you'll find yourself getting countered (often by Osoto Gari). Don't be afraid to blast it and smash your opponent hard to the mat. Also don't be afraid to land on your opponent, even if you're a big guy (I weigh >100kg myself). Don't be afraid to turn your Gari into a Gake and drive, but this should be a secondary option if the reap is well resisted.

The throw really requires a decent set-up as it can be easy to see coming. I like Ouchi Gari to get them moving backwards, then try to take their leg as they're moving it backwards but before they plant it on the ground (easier said than done, but that's the ideal). Ko Uchi Gari is good too because most people will try to step back off of it thus setting up Osoto Gari.

Work on your Hiza Guruma and Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi. Often, especially if your opponent knows you like Osoto Gari, they will push into you as you enter for Osoto Gari - this is a golden opportunity for Hiza or Sasae. Harai Goshi is nice too if you have started your reap when they push back into you, again as they resist by pushing against you Harai Goshi takes them with their own momentum.

Okay, some random tips. I don't know what in particular you're struggling with so, yeah:

I personally find that once you're past their defence (a stiff arm especially) the tsurite grip is the most important in executing Osoto Gari. I like to create kuzushi by driving my knuckles hard up under the jaw as I enter and directing uke's head up and diagonally backwards (same idea as the Tenri wrist) - I've actually thrown just with this in shiai with my opponent having avoided the reap but been off-balanced and continued to the ground as I pushed their head down to the mat. Most people today seem to throw with a HCG, but I find a standard lapel grip to be better personally (unless you're much taller than your opponent) as it gives you more options and isn't telling your opponent that you're probably going to attempt Osoto Gari.Bump your chest hard into their's to further aid the kuzushi and to ensure that you're close enough. With the hikite I pull down and around leading my opponent to where they will land.

Execute the reap at a 45degree angle, not straight ahead like you're always taught as a beginner.

Reap with a pendulum action through your whole body, don't just peck at the leg. Point your toes.

Osoto Gari requires full commitment, or you'll find yourself getting countered (often by Osoto Gari). Don't be afraid to blast it and smash your opponent hard to the mat. Also don't be afraid to land on your opponent, even if you're a big guy (I weigh >100kg myself). Don't be afraid to turn your Gari into a Gake and drive, but this should be a secondary option if the reap is well resisted.

The throw really requires a decent set-up as it can be easy to see coming. I like Ouchi Gari to get them moving backwards, then try to take their leg as they're moving it backwards but before they plant it on the ground (easier said than done, but that's the ideal). Ko Uchi Gari is good too because most people will try to step back off of it thus setting up Osoto Gari.

Work on your Hiza Guruma and Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi. Often, especially if your opponent knows you like Osoto Gari, they will push into you as you enter for Osoto Gari - this is a golden opportunity for Hiza or Sasae. Harai Goshi is nice too if you have started your reap when they push back into you, again as they resist by pushing against you Harai Goshi takes them with their own momentum.

Thanks, bro. Great advice.

I usually do Sasae Tsuri-Komi Ashi, Osoto Gake, Kosoto Gake

I will try my best for Osoto next time.

most of us learned step left/sweep right, and almost straight forward. in randori, people try to hit it as someone is backing up. which works okay, but since it's one of the first throws we learned, almost everyone is looking to defend.

i try to catch osotogari when someone is stepping forward, just before the moment they put their foot down. i pull the elbow high and across my chest to make them over-step, or start to over-step. they'll either slip forward slightly, or even better react and try to pull back.

like einarr said, 45 is really nice. your vector on the swing really depends on where your body is positioned. sometimes i'm at 15, sometimes it's almost 90.

your lapel hand either needs to punch them just under the ear, or come in for the headlock.

it's not a hands throw. too many people try to drag people into osotogari, because they're too far to the outside. it's that osotogari where tori is leaning over uke's arm and tori's lapel arm is almost straight.

when i get the chance to teach beginners, i especially emphasize that half of your body should overlap half of their body. your sternum should be at their shoulder, and your shoulder should be in their chest. your arm should be bent 90 or more degrees, and your fist should be in front of your shoulder. that's where the drive comes from - the body contact.

the 'step' in osotogari isn't. you know those white belt osotogari stalemates where they're both on one foot, teetering back and forth? shitty form. i try to think of it like i'm starting a sprint or coming off of the line in football. my plant step isn't flat-footed or on my heel, it's on my toe. my chest is forward, not straight up and down, nose over my toe.

once/as i've made body contact my sleeve arm whips down, my lapel arm tries to push up and over their shoulder, and i swing my head below my waist.

you can do it the fat kid hook-n-push way. it works. but try catching them walking forward in randori. you'll also get better at the bait-n-switch with sasae/deashi/whatever.

i read somewhere the three leading causes of death in japan are heart attack, godzilla, and osotogari.

Good tips on osoto guys. I've also never hit one in randori against anyone even close to my size.

I've definitely half-assed a few in my time.

Good tips on osoto guys. I've also never hit one in randori against anyone even close to my size.

I've definitely half-assed a few in my time.

I always get chucked on my ass every time I try Osoto. (against a black belt)

I'm hoping for the best next time.

I am going all osoto.

Big things that improved my osoto gari were a big, driving step in "past" the opponent (you gotta go deep!) plus LOTS of kuzushi (keep the tsurite solid and drive your opponent's head and upper body backwards, and really suck the opponent's arm back and down with your hikite, almost like you're pulling a seatbelt over and across your chest).

Help a noob out.
what is the name for this technique?
520cd94314cd3.jpg

at 4:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvUL940ZHS8

Last edited:
Big things that improved my osoto gari were a big, driving step in "past" the opponent (you gotta go deep!)

a big step is okay for makikomi or otoshi. i used to think a big step was the answer. now i think it puts you out of position and forces you to push uke too far backwards, which makes the swing really awkward. when i step, my big toe isn't quite to the heel, and in the osoto i described earlier, my big toe is in front of the imaginary line theirs would draw.

different strokes and all, that's just what worked for me.

First is to learn the basic form. Study Yamashita's videos and book for a good classical osoto. You need to be able to perform all the parts.

Second is to learn how and when to get in. This includes getting past the arms, timing so uke can't move his leg back, getting a reaction, etc.

Third is to be patient. Each Judo throw has a dozen moving parts. It will take time to put it all together. Years even.

Try to get feedback whenever you can. Or even post a video. There is no one thing to do for osoto that I can say that will get it to work for you. It's better to make corrections over time.

a big step is okay for makikomi or otoshi. i used to think a big step was the answer. now i think it puts you out of position and forces you to push uke too far backwards, which makes the swing really awkward. when i step, my big toe isn't quite to the heel, and in the osoto i described earlier, my big toe is in front of the imaginary line theirs would draw.

different strokes and all, that's just what worked for me.

Good point! I think the huge step-in works for me because I'm taller than most of my opponents; I can see how it can problematic if I can't bear down on the uke during the kake.

Good point! I think the huge step-in works for me because I'm taller than most of my opponents; I can see how it can problematic if I can't bear down on the uke during the kake.

i'm in the same boat you are heightwise, and i have a lot more success catching them stepping forward. everybody plays so damn far away from me to avoid the footsweeps/osotogari that if i just attack forward, they've got enough time to react and it becomes a game of strength.

i like osoto the way i described for a few reasons - it's quick, it isn't telegraphed, and since my legs are long i can catch it from far away.

it's like this, but instead of coming towards them with that him waggle, i let/pull them come to me and take a quarter turn backwards.

Last edited:
Oooh, that's a nice one! I think I'll play with that next time I'm on the mats. Thanks for the tip!

Okay, sorry if this has been asked several times (Which I'm sure it has, but I can't go looking for it in all 102 pages) but:
I'm going to go to a judo tournament.
Leg-grabbing is not allowed, belt grabbing is not allowed. Why not?
Why do you guys think that the leg grabbing throws were banned (in most tournaments), and do you agree with their banning?

Okay, sorry if this has been asked several times (Which I'm sure it has, but I can't go looking for it in all 102 pages) but:
I'm going to go to a judo tournament.
Why do you guys think that the leg grabbing throws were banned (in most tournaments), and do you agree with their banning?

People were spamming leg grabs then turtling up when they failed, especially Morote Gari and Kata Guruma. It was lame. People do the same thing with drop Seoi Otoshi, and they implemented a shido for doing it three times without scoring which is what they should have done for morote gari/kata guruma.

IMO, the 2008 rules were the best - allowing leg grabs as a counter or combination.

Two reasons; first of some judoka, especially in the lighter weight classes, would just spam leg grabs until they got a koka/yuko then spam more leg grabs without really committing to them as a way to eat up time on the clock. Second, the IOC put pressure on the IJF to make judo look less like wrestling. The belt grip rules were changed because people were using it to stall.

Some people come up with bullshit conspiracy theories about the Japanese changing the rules to favour their style of judo. This ignores the fact that the IJF has been a European controlled organization for decades.
and do you agree with their banning?
No. The post-Beijing ruleset was good compromise between encouraging classical judo and recognising that leg grabs are legitimate techniques that are perfectly compatible with ippon judo & seiryoku zenyo (minimum effort, maximum effect).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back