Official Judo Thread VI

Zankou

Bringing peace and love
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hajime!

Hansoku make.

Russian Standard and Effen are so far my favorite vodkas.
I don't drink much beer anymore. More of a wine guy now.
If it comes to liqueurs though, mezcal and single malts.
Where I live, the easiest to find quality vodkas are Grey Goose and Ketel One. I drink both.

I'm going to order that Reyka Einarr mentioned though. Is it good or bad that I just now found out that I could order alcohol online?

Got the new IJF approved gold Mizuno black belt in the mail today. I've felt the old non-IJF approved one before as a few friends have it.
I've got an IJF approved Mizuno noob belt. I'm a fan.

It's stiffer than my Fuji belt, but it's not as stiff as a Gameness. Holy fuck are those belts hard. I feel like I just did a couple sets of curls by the time I've tied my belt.

One of the guys I train with owns a liquor distribution business.

And yet he's never brought anything to practice to share.

Flagrant shido, IMO.

One of the guys I train with owns a liquor distribution business.

And yet he's never brought anything to practice to share.

Flagrant shido, IMO.

That's almost as bad as bringing cheap, store-bought coleslaw to the BBQ. :eek:

O uchi, tai otoshi, morote seoi nage, sasae.... I can do them all at home with no issues up against a wall or with therabands. I can't think of a single way to practice yoko osoto with any real resistance without a partner.

It's like a pure driving o soto, so I need something for my reaping leg to push against, and nothing's coming to mind.

Any ideas?

O uchi, tai otoshi, morote seoi nage, sasae.... I can do them all at home with no issues up against a wall or with therabands. I can't think of a single way to practice yoko osoto with any real resistance without a partner.

It's like a pure driving o soto, so I need something for my reaping leg to push against, and nothing's coming to mind.

Any ideas?

A tree outside the Kodokan.

Any ideas?

The difficulty in osoto is not the reaping leg. You should think about how to deliver power in the upper body...using the lower body.

As far as I can tell, the main difficulty in osoto is gaining head control. Once you gain head control, the rest is relatively easy or can be largely improvised.

Btw, I was having a lot of fun with double lapel grip last night. Why isn't this grip used more often? I assume it must have downsides?

Btw, I was having a lot of fun with double lapel grip last night. Why isn't this grip used more often? I assume it must have downsides?

When you both have double lapels neither party can really do anything. If you take a double lapel grip the first thing the other guy is going to do is take both of yours too. Then you both get Shidos for stalling.

i rep osoto as a retreat instead of an advance, and really focus on using the footwork to generate kuzushi.

if i've got therabands it's the kazushi up until the swing, if i'm doing solo drills, i commit to the swing full force and roll through.

I believe Angelo Parisi was so good at the double lapel grip judo that some refered to it as "dream judo" or some such. He often let the other guy get his grips, took a double lapel and threw with seoi, o soto, tai otoshi and hiza guruma.

Edit: One disadvantage with double lapel grip is that it is harder to get proper rotation, and it is as such easier to turn out of in my experience. The ability to post is also there, obviously. Also, what Einarr says.

Last edited:
For the record, yoko osoto is my tokui waza, as it's hands down my best throw. I can hit it on kyu and dan grades. Besides the occasional correction from my sensei, I'm not having trouble with it.

I was just hoping for some ideas on how to practice it (mainly the reap) at home with some resistance.

i rep osoto as a retreat instead of an advance, and really focus on using the footwork to generate kuzushi.

if i've got therabands it's the kazushi up until the swing, if i'm doing solo drills, i commit to the swing full force and roll through.

I've been doing reg o soto as a follow up to failed o uchi attempts, and yoko osoto as my all around go-to.

Looks like I should just do the kuzushi with the therabands for now then, though the fully committed swing into a roll sounds like fun, my neighbor directly below me might not be as keen on it.

Uchi Mata said:
I used to drink so much Bell's when I lived in Indiana, Two Hearted is the best mid-price IPA you can get outside of maybe Great Divide Titan.

I'm a Rampant fanboy. It's $7.59 here, Two-Hearted runs around $9.99, and Stones are usually $10.99. The nearest liquor store has $9.99 mix-n-match craft sixers, so sometimes I make myself a variety pack.

Torpedo isn't bad either, especially on sale.

Speaking of Great Divide, I really wish we got Hercules :(

Uchi Mata said:
Also for vodka, Tito's is excellent at that price point.

Tito's is damn fine and has REALLY taken off in the past year or two. every bit as good as Goose or Belvedere in Martini.

if you're just making a Bloody Mary or a Screwdriver, New Amsterdam is the way to go. It doesn't have the corn smell or astringency of the well vodkas, but it's still around about $13 per bottle.

Looks like I should just do the kuzushi with the therabands for now then, though the fully committed swing into a roll sounds like fun, my neighbor directly below me might not be as keen on it.

do you have a park anywhere close? i do 100 reps to each side of a few throws as warmups for my off-day training. pretty sure people living nearby think i'm a lunatic.

it's really easy for forward throws, just commit fully, roll through, stand back up, and then throw to the other side. it's also a great way to get comfortable with your off-side throws!

Double lapel is my main grip. It's not for stalling. The key to using it well is being able to attack to either side, and also to being good at switching one lapel grip to an underhook or over the back grip as needed. But osoto to both sides is great from this grip, sasae, eri seio nage, foot sweeps, and ogoshi to both sides. It's really handy in opposite stance situations where uke just will not let you get a sleeve grip. It actually speeds up the contest in those situations. Plus if you're in a same side stance situation and you're getting dominated by a strong overhand you can just use that side lapel grip to create space and start playing kenka yotsu.

Though I will say the double lapel lost some thunder when leg attacks were banned. It's a great grip for attacking te guruma and all manner of knee tap/kuchiki daioshi type attacks.

I like the right lapel and over-the-back grip that Yamashita used to use fairly often. Super-powerful for Uchi Mata and Osoto Gari, as a right hander it's a very easy way to switch stance from right to left-handed and back again. The double lapel though I find very hard to use, it's like I'm blocking myself with my own grips and if they mirror my grips neither can do much at all. Any tips Uchi Mata?

do you have a park anywhere close? i do 100 reps to each side of a few throws as warmups for my off-day training. pretty sure people living nearby think i'm a lunatic.

it's really easy for forward throws, just commit fully, roll through, stand back up, and then throw to the other side. it's also a great way to get comfortable with your off-side throws!

I have a park like 3 blocks away from me... and the bold is exactly why I won't be doing this shit in public lol. I don't want to be known around town as the weirdo in a tight shirt throwing himself at the ground.

It seems to me like having two inner lapel grips allows you to really screw with your opponent's arms, opening them to get access to attack. Particularly against smaller defensive players (lol at this being a consideration) it seemed like you can wreak havoc with their efforts to maintain distance. Would definitely be interested in uchi's thoughts.

Also I'm not entirely sure the classic tsurikomi movement works that great if you have super long arms like I do. Maybe it's just because I'm utterly terrible at tsurikomi. But the kind of sleeve control they teach for classic tsurikomi ("look at the watch") just seems impossible to get. My pull on the sleeve just sucks balls no matter what I do. I feel like I get a much better pull with the lapel grip lifting that arm up (with my elbow) than I do with the sleeve grip lifting the arm up (pulling on the sleeve at the elbow).

Back