Official Judo Thread VI

i'm so used to double weaves now that single weaves feel chintzy.

I know the feeling. Before starting Judo, I had done a bit of BJJ in my double-weave. I also got a smoking deal on it (69$ CAD). So, when I got my single weave gi delivered, I was surprised and disappointed at first because it felt so flimsy and because I had spent more on it than my double-weave BJJ gi.

I think the hardest part about stand-up in BJJ is throwing/sweeping/taking down the guy before he can flop on his butt. A really sad state of affairs. IMO BJJ's leniency in allowing people to do whatever the Hel they want (butt-flopping, jumping guard) hurts the art way more than the IJF changing the rules.

Completely agree.

i'm so used to double weaves now that single weaves feel chintzy. can't wait until another decade from now when they'll have some sort of undershirt sensor mess like the taekwondo doohickeys and everything except a forward throw is banned.

we'll all be telling the kids 'back in my day we wore a man's pajamas and could te guruma a bitch when we needed to.'

Einarr - i think no leg touchy, half guard stall, and turtle stall are all more egregiously stupid than guard pulling, but i pass like a beast

Pulling guard is just a tactical decision. If you hate it that much, get good at passing. Plus at Einarr's weight I can't imagine too many guard pullers...I'm two weight classes below him and I rarely get pulled on.

I recently read that the IJF has changed its standards/rules for uniforms again, the big change being that uniforms would have to be thinner in order to be easier to grip. The article specifically said that many previously IJF-approved uniforms would no longer be legal.

a) Have you guys ready anything about this?

b) If it's true, what are the odds that a whole wackload of nice previously IJF-approved will get dumped at clearance prices? Cause I wouldn't mind getting me one of those for training purposes. ;)
Apparently there are fabric weight changes upcoming for 2015. They also changed the sleeve length rule in 2014 to make them a little longer. For serious competitors this is a PITA as this will have been 3 changes in the specs in the last 4 or 5 years IIRC.

But for the local comps that most of us fight at, no IJF tag required. They usually just do a cursory check that the legs and sleeves are in the ball park. The directive I usually get is not to get out the measuring device unless you're sure it will fail just by eyeballing it.

Man...pretty soon we will be forced to wear karate uniforms.

I love the heavy doubles, it made me a better grip fighter because I had to adapt to my partners gi. When I grip with single weaves, it's like a free Ippon!

I hate gripping single weaves tbh. I don't feel like I can get any power because it's just too slack. I had this problem last time I was fighting and I just had to overhand grip the guy.

Man...pretty soon we will be forced to wear karate uniforms.

I love the heavy doubles, it made me a better grip fighter because I had to adapt to my partners gi. When I grip with single weaves, it's like a free Ippon!

I think that's the idea ... grip to ippon, less jacking around grip fighting.

And with that, time for a new thread.

Back