Official Judo Thread VIII

tumblr_mpr698O8151r7jx1ro1_500.gif

.....O_O!!!

therabands to work kuzushi + lateral resistance bands to work tai sabaki = body screaming

ty dynamojudosambo...

Lol I can't wait for RJ to come out. We have to film a comedy skit with the two of you.

Thought this warranted its own thread but I'll post it in here too:

DTWM>Dane Cook. Dane Cook is worse than any other comedian ever.

We've been working using o uchi gari to set up other throws and there's three that jump out at me from the top of my head:

1 - O uchi gari to ko uchi gari: I think this is a pretty common combo. I started seeing it around green belt/sankyu and hated it then because I couldn't get it to work. The trick is the fact that kuzushi for o uchi is backwards to most foot sweeps. Switching the kuzushi from side to side when you go for ko uchi makes the combo much better. Still not my favorite but I can make it work now.

2 - O uchi gari to Tai otoshi. I think this one is pretty common too and it relies on the back pivot as well as getting the sweeping leg from o uchi out in front of uke. If you're short like me it's easy to get stepped over. I like it in concept but not super useful to me in randori.

3 - O uchi gari to Sasae: My favorite of these three. You have to really commit to the o uchi gari to promote backwards movement in Uke and you have to follow up quickly with the Sasae to catch the other foot and take them for a ride while they're trying to come back to balance from the o uchi gari. Hips in is super important but you want a little bit of distance between you and uke.

The other one I was playing with is o uchi gari to morote soei nage, with a drop to the knees for the morote. After you try o uchi gari, you'll have the lead leg out in front, to hit the morote you more or less have to pivot well past 90 degrees and land in between uke 's feet on your knees. So rather than forward or backward like the o uchi gari was, morote will finish off to the side on an angle a bit because uke will be opened up in that direction. I like this because drop soei nage is my tokui waza and I've been dialing it in since orange belt.

Anyone have tips on how to perfect a throw that goes something like this? Not sure about the name, so I will try to describe it as best as I can.

I'm standing with my right foot in front and my left foot in back. My uke is standing the same away across from me.

1. I cross step to uke's left with my left foot.
2. Pivot my body.
3. As my back is turned to my uke, My right leg swings and blocks the right leg of my uke.

I have a low grip on collar and the sleeve.

This is for the kata, btw.

Sounds like Harai Goshi to me.

Harai Goshi: http://youtu.be/0gzk4M3OA0U

the biggest thing to remember is it is actually a hip throw and you need uke up on your hip like any other hip throw. If you just try and blast them with your right leg, they won't go anywhere.

It could also be tai otoshi but that's not in the nage no kata as far as I know.

Meh. Dane Cook was at least successful. Self-aware too: His cameo on that episode of Louie was fantastic.

Methinks these traits elude our wolfie so...

Ive never seen him, I just know what he's known for. Just following on with the archer references.

Hey Ethan, since youre newish you don't know, but brian jones videos are unofficially banned from the judo thread unless youre pointing out how shitty they are.

Grappleboxing - see this video? That's how not to do harai. You might have inferred that from how he almost falls over after every throw.

Generally, a Brian Jones video illustrates the difference between quality, competitive judo, and whatever you wanna call what he's doing. Hes pretty much a sterling example of the state of north American judo - for every jimmy Pedro, there's a dozen these guys.

Sounds like Harai Goshi to me.

Harai Goshi: http://youtu.be/0gzk4M3OA0U

the biggest thing to remember is it is actually a hip throw and you need uke up on your hip like any other hip throw. If you just try and blast them with your right leg, they won't go anywhere.

It could also be tai otoshi but that's not in the nage no kata as far as I know.

Even though it kills me to post something from Submissions 101, in this case it's Matt D'aquino who was an Australian Olympian and runs a very good Judo channel (mostly Judo) on Youtube of his own called BeyondGrappling. In any case, his harai is a lot better than the one previously posted:

Hey Ethan, since youre newish you don't know, but brian jones videos are unofficially banned from the judo thread unless youre pointing out how shitty they are.

Grappleboxing - see this video? That's how not to do harai. You might have inferred that from how he almost falls over after every throw.

Generally, a Brian Jones video illustrates the difference between quality, competitive judo, and whatever you wanna call what he's doing. Hes pretty much a sterling example of the state of north American judo - for every jimmy Pedro, there's a dozen these guys.

Didn't even watch it, it just said "harai goshi" and it was short so I used it for visual reference to see if it was the throw he meant or not. Should have found something better, but it's a pita on my phone. You're right, it's fucking awful.

Thanks Ethan and Rj, but i specifcally know the throw isn't Harai. I I'm good with Harai Goshi.

Back