Official Judo Thread VIII

You can upload non-published YouTube videos. Probably the best way.

imgur converts video to gif right from your computer, then just embed it as an image.

freal Zanky? aren't you 6'3" 200ish?

6'1. My tsurikomi sucks though, and so my harai tends to involve blocking the hip with my leg and wheeling my opponent over the block, gorilla-style, rather than a true harai hip throw.

Easiest way to upload a small video of my first tournament judo match? Would rather not youtube but will if I have to.

You tubing it isn't that bad. I have a few of my good matches, bad matches and a downright embarassing "what not to do" on my part that left me unconscious. If some kid sees it and avoids doing what I did, great, if someone gets a laugh out of it thats cool too. No one really notices as its just a couple drops in the ocean of Judo vids, think most of the views were because i embedded them on here.

Your call though.

6'1. My tsurikomi sucks though, and so my harai tends to involve blocking the hip with my leg and wheeling my opponent over the block, gorilla-style, rather than a true harai hip throw.

Harai is a half hip throw. The biggest mistake I see people making is getting their hips too far across and making contact too high with the sweeping leg. You want to get your hip right in the middle of uke's so that your sweeping leg naturally makes contact with uke's shin/knee area. It's an uki goshi with a leg sweep, not an o goshi with a leg sweep.

Congrats on your "pain belt"

Enjoy the ride!

Apparently. Got put in as shark bait with 4 shodans and our head coach who is a San Dan. Never got destroyed like this before. One after another throw after throw no fun

Apparently. Got put in as shark bait with 4 shodans and our head coach who is a San Dan. Never got destroyed like this before. One after another throw after throw no fun

When I made yonkyu it was a green belt. Green means "go" for anyone higher ranked. You were trusted not to die if they went full bore, and you had enough skill to force at least the brown belts and new Shodans to take you seriously enough to not toy with you and put you away.

I'm a smaller no gi sub grappler and I'm trying to really work a judo side control style. I asked like a year ago when I first started about always getting swept from kesa gatame.

I realize I tend to put too much of my weight over my shoulder and I think a deeper hook under the neck or armpit might help with that center.

Reverse kesa gatame though has been money for the mount.

Any tips and tricks for a 150 pound grappler? Is working for speed based side control best? Or is that just my guard based mentality fucking me over?

Anyone here from Australia that can recommend a judo club to train at in Brisbane Qld?

Anyone here from Australia that can recommend a judo club to train at in Brisbane Qld?
What type of club are you after? I have a friend training in Brisbane, he goes to the club closest to his house. He likes it, but I believe it's a pretty social club.

By the looks on the Queensland Judo website though, there are plenty of options - at least for an Aussie city!

What type of club are you after? I have a friend training in Brisbane, he goes to the club closest to his house. He likes it, but I believe it's a pretty social club.

By the looks on the Queensland Judo website though, there are plenty of options - at least for an Aussie city!

Thanks for the reply, I've checked out the clubs online in the area but not sure how they stack up next to eachother.

I'm wanting the best training possible with Hope's of one day competing at whatever level I may achieve. so a competitive atmosphere and high level coaching. Where does your friend train?

Thanks for the reply, I've checked out the clubs online in the area but not sure how they stack up next to eachother.

I'm wanting the best training possible with Hope's of one day competing at whatever level I may achieve. so a competitive atmosphere and high level coaching. Where does your friend train?
I believe he was at Bulimba Judo Club. If nobody else gets back to you, the university club is always worth a shot. Uni clubs are almost always super competitive.

I believe he was at Bulimba Judo Club. If nobody else gets back to you, the university club is always worth a shot. Uni clubs are almost always super competitive.

Thanks for the advice, the ones I see most recommended are the UQ judo club, pcyc lang park and ohori judo. Fling me a message if your friend has anymore insight. otherwise I'll just have to try each of them out and see for myself, thanks again.

Back