Official Judo Thread X: Triple Weave Edition

All Japan Judo Championship 2016, finals and semi-finals;

Earlier today my son osoto gari'd a kid so hard he was weeping. Feel like my son is a new Einarr. Either that or I got cucked by an Icelander and he's not really my son.

Is just a silly kind of particular question, I´m doing pilates to correct a muscular unbalance (sorry if bad written) and well there´s a lot of activation I wasn´t used to, do you do that in Judo ?
We are told to enter relaxed and smoothly but sometimes you almost get the guy on your back to project...do you activate in those cases to get more power ?

Sorry if too complicated xD

Is just a silly kind of particular question, I´m doing pilates to correct a muscular unbalance (sorry if bad written) and well there´s a lot of activation I wasn´t used to, do you do that in Judo ?
We are told to enter relaxed and smoothly but sometimes you almost get the guy on your back to project...do you activate in those cases to get more power ?

Sorry if too complicated xD

Overthinking it. There's no time to think about how you finish a throw. If you've practiced for years you can feel the right way to go and finish, if not you need to practice more.

Earlier today my son osoto gari'd a kid so hard he was weeping. Feel like my son is a new Einarr. Either that or I got cucked by an Icelander and he's not really my son.
Unfortunately, knowing Einarr, it's probably the latter. At least you know your son will grow up to be an ultra alpha male.

Overthinking it. There's no time to think about how you finish a throw. If you've practiced for years you can feel the right way to go and finish, if not you need to practice more.
Oh I see, yeah , is too much overthinking, I´ll leave it for those throws that don´t work inmediately.

The wife just got her black belt today.
We went to a kata seminar, covering 1st, 2nd and 3rd dan, did 5 hours of practice, then on the next day tournament style competition.
She won her group with 5 matches and submitted the paperwork today.

The wife just got her black belt today.
We went to a kata seminar, covering 1st, 2nd and 3rd dan, did 5 hours of practice, then on the next day tournament style competition.
She won her group with 5 matches and submitted the paperwork today.
Awesome, sometimes girls here have more heart than I hahaha
Is funny that your wife prefers judo over Sambo haha...

Awesome, sometimes girls here have more heart than I hahaha
Is funny that your wife prefers judo over Sambo haha...
Oh, she does both. I just submitted her application for the sambo worlds this year, to represent Brazil :)

Oh, she does both. I just submitted her application for the sambo worlds this year, to represent Brazil :)
Really ?
I had a Muay Thai coach from Brazil and well in judo they are monsters but I didn´t know Sambo was popular, they seem to not be as strong in wrestling oposed to other combat sports.

Really ?
I had a Muay Thai coach from Brazil and well in judo they are monsters but I didn´t know Sambo was popular, they seem to not be as strong in wrestling oposed to other combat sports.
I dont think they have strong sambo team.
We live in Japan and I train her myself.
The sambo worlds this year are in Bulgaria.
Brazil doesnt have sambo sponsored athletes, so I am kind of making them a favor :)
Not really shooting for big success this year- the goal for 2016 is to get well versed in several styles and meet the best in her division, so we can see what we have to work on. Next year though, Im sure she will medal.

I dont think they have strong sambo team.
We live in Japan and I train her myself.
The sambo worlds this year are in Bulgaria.
Brazil doesnt have sambo sponsored athletes, so I am kind of making them a favor :)
Not really shooting for big success this year- the goal for 2016 is to get well versed in several styles and meet the best in her division, so we can see what we have to work on. Next year though, Im sure she will medal.
Awesome, I hope she´s still have youth to come ...Brazil probably don´t take Sambo seriously because Judo is just too big.

Awesome, I hope she´s still have youth to come ...Brazil probably don´t take Sambo seriously because Judo is just too big.
She is 27 :)
In South America, except Venezuela, sambo is trained by very small communities.
I think Mexico now has something like 100 competitors turning up on national championships and thats a great turnover, compared with few years ago, when they had categories of 2-3 people, sometimes even 1.
On a positive note, though, this is slowly changing- in all latin countries sambo is getting more and more exposure, government support and I hope we can see some cross training and competing from judo and wrestling.

I haven't seen it discussed in the thread, so here's a nugget my friend dropped today:

RNxttma.jpg

I haven't seen it discussed in the thread, so here's a nugget my friend dropped today:

RNxttma.jpg
They have been talking about that for a while now and I believe they experiment in a few countries.
The judo federation in Mexico runs judo newaza tournaments for several years, attracting BJJ competitors.
I imagine, if the IJF starts running newaza tournaments, there will be great influx of other styles, ultimately leading to judokas getting better on the ground.
I think its great and that the tournaments will have big turnover, based on numbers of judokas and the fact, there is an Olympic structure to back them up.

They have been talking about that for a while now and I believe they experiment in a few countries.
The judo federation in Mexico runs judo newaza tournaments for several years, attracting BJJ competitors.
I imagine, if the IJF starts running newaza tournaments, there will be great influx of other styles, ultimately leading to judokas getting better on the ground.
I think its great and that the tournaments will have big turnover, based on numbers of judokas and the fact, there is an Olympic structure to back them up.
I'd imagine it would very much change the styleof newaza too, if one can't try to work for a referee standup.

How do the current newaza competitions usually work? Are they just the same, but without standups?

Back