Official Judo Thread X: Triple Weave Edition

I'd imagine it would very much change the styleof newaza too, if one can't try to work for a referee standup.

How do the current newaza competitions usually work? Are they just the same, but without standups?
Well, I have seen a few styles.
I dont think there is universe IJF newaza rule set yet, so most probably they will analyze data from Kosen judo competitions, SportAccord jujitsu newaza competitions, judo newaza competitions and bring in a set of their own.
The biggest points would be:
- starting position
- pin (points or ippon)
Besides those, I see them shooting for the BJJ market

Marius Vizer is a disease. IJF's been squandering it's opportunities with MMA and BJJ for the last decade.

This specific move is good for judo.

absolutely man. there's been a lot of sentiment over here from certain types about keeping judo 'pure', and Vizer was throwing around 'true spirit' there for a while. they were also kicking around a ban for anybody who competed in MMA.

guess they figured out where the money/audience is...

It certainly is nice to see the IJF encouraging newaza. It'll definitely be interesting to see what comes of it in the future.

I can see some BJJ guys having success, seeing as it'd be much closer to their ruleset than newaza in current IJF judo. But the style of judo players will eventually change towards a sub/pin only game.

reffed our state games today. we had 24 juniors and maybe 10 seniors :(

She is 27 :)
In South America, except Venezuela, sambo is trained by very small communities.
I think Mexico now has something like 100 competitors turning up on national championships and thats a great turnover, compared with few years ago, when they had categories of 2-3 people, sometimes even 1.
On a positive note, though, this is slowly changing- in all latin countries sambo is getting more and more exposure, government support and I hope we can see some cross training and competing from judo and wrestling.
I did Sambo for a month in Montreal and loved it, would join in a tournament inmediately, sadly the federation in my country already started with poliitical problems so the sport is not growing but I can see a growing interest in many people that sometimes asks me as some know I do judo if I know a sambo place.

Given that we're approaching a new thread, I suggest:
Official Judo Thread XI - The Curse of Marius Vizer

Given that we're approaching a new thread, I suggest:
Official Judo Thread XI - The Curse of Marius Vizer

I wanted this one to be 'Judo X: the Revenge of Marius Vizer' but that didn't work out.

random question about some judo history. what is the lowest rank player to have ever won olympic gold? has a shodan won olympic gold? has there ever been a brown belt that has competed at all in judo olympics after going through all the normal qualification point system?

random question about some judo history. what is the lowest rank player to have ever won olympic gold? has a shodan won olympic gold? has there ever been a brown belt that has competed at all in judo olympics after going through all the normal qualification point system?
I believe national federations are handing out black belts to international competitors who dont have them yet, but its just for official purposes. No certificates until meeting requirements.
A friend of mine was winning regional championships with black belt, while at home he was a blue at the time...

The requirement to get a dan grade differs very much between countries and some places like russia to my knowlegde did not even use the ordinary dan system, at least not years ago, maybe nowadays(?) IJF has for many years a "formal" requirement of shodan for participacion in international championships, but it's up to the national judo associations to administer this. Personally I competed in an international IJF championship when I was 1 kyu and was told just to put on a black belt for the occasion...

Bloody hell. Still only mk. X? This thread really slowed down.

Anyway, checking in for the Olympics. Very excited. Haven't been able to ply my unique brand of judo for over six months now. Even fatter and softer than I was. Damn you, haggis suppers!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to watching some of the Olympic matches. I'm sure we'll see some good ippons from it. Who knows, maybe we'll get a huge upset and someone will beat Riner, but I doubt it.

Back