Official Judo Thread

Belgian had nothing for him.

Epic shido battle in the other semi. Looks like the Azeri is going to take it by a yuko and a shido.

Last edited:
Azeri v. enraged Ono looking to take Japan's first men's gold since Ishii in 2008.

Azerbaijani's been playing tentatively and doesn't bow to the mat. I hope Ono destroys him.

For sure. It would be great to see attacking judo take all the golds.

I'm an ignorant wrestler.. who should I watch?
Glad you asked for the rest of us ignorant wrestlers....

Every four years I watch Olympic judo and really enjoy it. I don't know why i dont follow it more although it is kind of nice to have absolutely no preconceptions about who is competing. Is there a "flowrestling" type site for judo that keeps tabs on the competitive scene?

This Ono guy looks like a straight killer.

Matsumoto barely ekes out her bronze match. She did not come ready to win this.

Rafaela was smart as hell, she did a leg takedown using the elbow instead of the hand.

Both the guys who Ono ippon'd (Georgian and Belgian) have in turn ippon'd their opponents in the bronze matches.

Now it's time for the main event.

Ono with the waza-ari, will he ride it out or seek a total kill?

Shido suggests the latter ...

But no! Ono triumphant.

Cherish what you saw guys - Ono is a once in a lifetime athlete destined to be the greatest Judoka of all time when he retires. He is so much better than everybody else and so dominant that I honestly have no idea how he even loses anytime in the next few years. He already has not lost a match in the last 2.5 years and I would not be surprised to see him go 6.5 years undefeated right up until the Tokyo Olympics.

Ono might end up being second-greatest of this generation, but he's no Teddy.

I'd agree. The one thing in Ono's favor, which will ultimately work against him relative to Teddy's record, is that ultra-dominance is a lot easier in the ultra heavy category than the 73kg. There are too many killers at the lighter weights and the matches are so blinding fast that an instant's hesitation means you lose. At the ultra heavies, there are only a handful of competent fighters, and the action is so slow that it's easier for the best player to control and prevent shock losses.

Call it the Karelin principle.

Teddy fights in a weight class with a very small pool of athletes and wins mostly using his incredible strength and size advantage. There are literally only three Judokas in the world for the super heavyweight category that even have decent technique and athleticism. The division is tantamount to a joke. Ono absolutely dominates the toughest division in all of Judo with a pool of world class athletes far far larger than Teddy's. Plus, the most amazing thing as a side note - Ono trains with Teddy and despite being literally half his size, he whips Riner's ass in training.

To sum it up, Ono is greater than Riner. What he does, has done and will do is far greater than Teddy.

Not for an instant do I believe Ono 'whips Riner's ass' in training.

Ono's career just started. When he's done, he'll be well above Teddy all time because of the weight class he destroys.

Not for an instant do I believe Ono 'whips Riner's ass' in training.

I'm a member of the Judo Inside forum and it's actually pretty well documented that Ono has his way with Teddy. It's been captured on video on both Japanese and French media and Teddy has said himself that Ono throws him almost every time they lock up. That's actually one of the main things that created this mythological aura around Ono.

Back