Official Judo Thread

he's got skill. he's got a very distorted perception as to what and how much. there are plenty of techniques where he lacks the proficiency to be explaining them to everyone, and even more that are just impractical bullshido nonsense. the name-dropping is pretty cringey but he's obviously trying to get video views for some sort of income. my biggest problem with him is that he's thrown so much shit at a wall to see if it sticks that it ends up popping up on youtube before much better instructionals and insights from pro-level folks far more deserving of the attention he seems to clamor for.

that said, he's also been training a long time and with some very knowledgeable people. it's not all total bullshit and i'm not petty to the point where i won't acknowledge it. i think he'd be more effective if he'd spend less time on gimmicky bullshit, name-dropping, and self-promotion and more time refining his message and insight on the things he's actually good at.

But then he'd have to recognize that he's just another competent grappler, like so many others, and not TeH mrKlz Jesssus mma saviOur futuR.

yeah...i mean...at least he's got a promising rap career to fall back on...

footsweeps like
7TGQEyv.gif

Yeah that is what I'm getting at... most clubs in USA are not run by professional coaches and most students are not driven to compete or really push themselves.

However, my old boxing coach and current Mauy Thai coaches are not professionals either and they tell people to jump rope, do calisthenics and run. . Also the athletic young people are in the Mauy Thai program not the judo program. The two share the same time slot at my rather large BJJ/ Mauy Thai gym.

Of course the Mauy Thai program also suffers a bit from move of the week syndrome, but there are more classes so seems less of a problem.

This is a bit of a joke but, I think it has something to do with the gi, Somehow people think wearing a gi makes the activity less athletically challenging and more suitable for 35 year olds

Competing in Judo is hard. Even if one is not too serious about it, it's very stressful mentally, emotionally, and physically. Most folks don't want to work that much to be successful, even at a low level.

And in fact, if you want to make money, forcing people to compete is not a very good thing to do.

Regarding the Muy Thai, well, I'm guessing it's got a much higher cool factor than Judo, and (go ahead and shoot me) it's likely physically easier to learn at a low level, does not require falling, and only deals with standup fighting (no ground work). Of course, if you want to compete at Muy Thai, the brutality levels go up commensurately. But I'm guessing most of the folks who get into Muy Thai are not going to compete...

35 is a bit over the hill for an adult with no grappling background to start training judo isn't it? That person can't take the throws very well and so on. I'd like you to hear why you think MT is more successful and what judo could do to be more popular however.

35 is not over the hill if the class is run properly, AND you have good tatami (floating floor, preferably). There is quite a bit of range of athletic ability in the general population, so you have to adjust the program to that as well. However, adults are usually a lot more understanding of those sorts of things, and are willing to be reasoned with and accommodate others of varying ability.

To start at 35 and want to be competitive would be a tough row to hoe...not impossible, but tough.

I have one guy who had to train with my high-performance teenagers, as we did not have an adult judo class. He is mid-late 30s, was totally out of shape. He stuck with it, got injured a couple of times, got sick, but never quit. Now he has dropped 20 lbs or so and has a blast working out, and the kids enjoy training with him, and in fact he's an asset to the class.

God damn...how good are kettlebells for judoka? They're like fucking magic, that's how good. "Simple and Sinister" (TGUs and Swings) is doing some amazing things for old injuries.

All hail Pavel.

I have to admit I hate lifting weights of any sort, as I did so fucking much of it when I was competitive in Judo. Now, arthritis says "no want do that".

So I went to BJJ where I could do mostly ne waza, and after a few weeks, I was feeling much, much better (old injuries straightening out, a lot less pain other than the arthritis).

I would try to do Judo before that, but would end up re-injuring old judo injuries.

Now I can do Judo (nage waza) again without feeling totally broken. Of course, I pretty much suck, but can feel more competent at BJJ for my ego boost, LOL!

he's got skill. he's got a very distorted perception as to what and how much. there are plenty of techniques where he lacks the proficiency to be explaining them to everyone, and even more that are just impractical bullshido nonsense. the name-dropping is pretty cringey but he's obviously trying to get video views for some sort of income. my biggest problem with him is that he's thrown so much shit at a wall to see if it sticks that it ends up popping up on youtube before much better instructionals and insights from pro-level folks far more deserving of the attention he seems to clamor for.

that said, he's also been training a long time and with some very knowledgeable people. it's not all total bullshit and i'm not petty to the point where i won't acknowledge it. i think he'd be more effective if he'd spend less time on gimmicky bullshit, name-dropping, and self-promotion and more time refining his message and insight on the things he's actually good at.

All about the marketing, RJ, pretty much sums it up, IMO.

Everybody is out to make a buck, so there is a lot of chaff in the wheat.

Competing in Judo is hard. Even if one is not too serious about it, it's very stressful mentally, emotionally, and physically. Most folks don't want to work that much to be successful, even at a low level.

And in fact, if you want to make money, forcing people to compete is not a very good thing to do.

Regarding the Muy Thai, well, I'm guessing it's got a much higher cool factor than Judo, and (go ahead and shoot me) it's likely physically easier to learn at a low level, does not require falling, and only deals with standup fighting (no ground work). Of course, if you want to compete at Muy Thai, the brutality levels go up commensurately. But I'm guessing most of the folks who get into Muy Thai are not going to compete...

See at my gym some Muay Thai fighters do compete. Not everyone but that is part of the appeal of training at this gym. The judo program is much more casual and has older people in it and I wish it was the opposite.

What is ironic is that a couple of the MT classes are more appropriate for 35 year olds than the judo class. It would be easier for them to hit some pads and jump rope than take a fall.

There are probably people in the MT class that aren't gonna take a fight but could be a good training partner and compete in judo.

Last edited:
See at my gym some Muay Thai fighters do compete. Not everyone but that is part of the appeal of training at this gym. The judo program is much more casual and has older people in it and I wish it was the opposite.

What is ironic is that a couple of the MT classes are more appropriate for 35 year olds than the judo class. It would be easier for them to hit some pads and jump rope than take a fall.

There are probably people in the MT class that aren't gonna take a fight but could be a good training partner and compete in judo.

Again, why do you need someone to tell you to work harder? Judo can be what you make of it. In randori, how many good attacks are you actually making? In your videos, there aren't many, even on a scrawny white belt (truth be told).

This is not saying you should be muscling either, but just picking up your pace. Even with a kid as a partner you can get a workout in, by moving moving moving.

Are 10 nagekomis tiring? Maybe then you should throw that white belt 10 times in one round?

Again, why do you need someone to tell you to work harder? Judo can be what you make of it. In randori, how many good attacks are you actually making? In your videos, there aren't many, even on a scrawny white belt (truth be told).

This is not saying you should be muscling either, but just picking up your pace. Even with a kid as a partner you can get a workout in, by moving moving moving.

Are 10 nagekomis tiring? Maybe then you should throw that white belt 10 times in one round?

Coach wants randori to be kind of relaxed like that and I don't want to be a total dick and just toss that guy around.

That's the real world...if I trained in striking, I'd never compete, too many concussions already...from Judo...and general living. At least the the primary purpose of Judo is NOT hitting people in the head...

Coach wants randori to be kind of relaxed like that and I don't want to be a total dick and just toss that guy around.

You can still get a good challenge without slamming the guy. Throw with osoto gari without sweeping fully. Let him roll off slowly with seoinage. Hold up his sleeve as he falls to slow down the impact.

Of course, all those things require developing good fundamentals.

No throwing in randori, got it...

You can be relaxed and still throw people. In fact, it tends to work better that way. Let him throw you, too, then it doesn't look so bad.

Seriously, I WANT to see my students throwing each other in randori...

You can still get a good challenge without slamming the guy. Throw with osoto gari without sweeping fully. Let him roll off slowly with seoinage. Hold up his sleeve as he falls to slow down the impact.

Of course, all those things require developing good fundamentals.

And you have to throw people to develop those kinds of skills...a lot. Over and over again...and take a lot of falls in return.

And you have to throw people to develop those kinds of skills...a lot. Over and over again...and take a lot of falls in return.

I agree but some of these 35 year + old guys don't . I don't really know what to do about it. Maybe just accept it and do my best anyway.

i think you need some tough love dude. quit bitching on the internet and get to work. stop worrying about what other people do and start worrying about yourself.

you need to revisit your fundamentals in a big way. every video you've posted shows an overreliance on flopping to your back and hoping what little BJJ you know will close a big, big proficiency gap.

it seems like the source of your frustration stems from you counting gym wins in randori. randori is not about winning. randori is about humility and repetition.

you need to pick a fundamental, non-floppy throw and rep the shit out of it. for a year. you need to learn to develop kazushi and timing. you need to accept that you're going to get thrown. a lot.

Judo isn't easy. Judo is pain, and sweat, and repetition. Judo takes a long fuckin time to develop, and has an exponential learning curve. you can barely walk and you're trying to run up the mountain. you're looking at the peak instead of five feet in front of you. you've gotta realize that it's going to take you a long, long time to get where you think you need to be, and that you're gonna need guidance to get there.

Well I agree with that.

I'm not really that frustrated, I just find it odd that people expect training judo to be easier than hitting some thai pads.

Back