Official Judo Thread

I'm a member of the Judo Inside forum and it's pretty well documented that Ono has his way with Riner in training. Not only has it been covered in both French and Japanese media, Riner himself has stated that Ono throws him almost every time they spar. This is actually one of the main reasons why Ono has this mythological aura about him in Japan after this news of him and Riner came out.

Some photos of Teddy and Ono sparring:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Ono might end up being second-greatest of this generation, but he's no Teddy.

Ono's career just started. When he's finished he'll be well above Teddy because of how incredibly he dominates the most competitive division on earth.

If Ono spar so well even against Riner, how does he perform in the all Japan championship? Lol at post above that claim there are only 3 judokas in superheavyweight with decent tecnique in the world...

If Ono spar so well even against Riner, how does he perform in the all Japan championship? Lol at post above that claim there are only 3 judokas in superheavyweight with decent tecnique in the world...

You're right, there is pretty much only two - Riner and Harasawa. I was going to include Sasson but Sasson is a plodding, unathletic dude who just tries to beat you by Shiidos. Pretty much everybody else is slow, plodding and has an ippon rate under 40%. The entire division consists 90% of highly overweight fat guys who are slow as molasses with Riner being one of the only ones that is in shape and muscular. In fact, Riner himself is plodding and doesn't have technique or skill anywhere near the league of Ono. Riner has an ippon rate of under 50% and wins most of his matches going the distance - a far cry from Ono's 90+% ippon rate just going to show yet again why he's superior to Riner. the Super Heavyweight division is a pretty big joke of a category and you just have to watch it to see that.

You're right, there is pretty much only two - Riner and Harasawa. I was going to include Sasson but Sasson is a plodding, unathletic dude who just tries to beat you by Shiidos. Pretty much everybody else is slow, plodding and has an ippon rate under 40%. The entire division consists 90% of highly overweight fat guys who are slow as molasses with Riner being one of the only ones that is in shape and muscular. In fact, Riner himself is plodding and doesn't have technique or skill anywhere near the league of Ono. Riner has an ippon rate of under 50% and wins most of his matches going the distance - a far cry from Ono's 90+% ippon rate just going to show yet again why he's superior to Riner. the Super Heavyweight division is a pretty big joke of a category and you just have to watch it to see that.

Being fat in super heavy weight is not necessarily bad though, but I suppose that Saito or Yamashita back in the days were not up to your very high standards either...

if Ono makes it to the next Olympics while undefeated we maybe can have the GOAT talk....

Congratulations to Rafaela Silva, Brazil, awesome performance;

They seem to be allowing significant use of leg entanglements in throws. I had thought those were illegal, but I've seen several throws completed so far with very heavy leg entanglements controlling the attacked leg.

Many thanks to Ladder Master for posting all these awesome gifs.
Believe it or not, over the last few years I have seen plenty of referees, not knowing that kawazugake is banned.
Particularly in Japan, you can bear hug and grapewine the leg all day long in competitions.

Teddy fights in a weight class with a very small pool of athletes and wins mostly using his incredible strength and size advantage. There are literally only three Judokas in the world for the super heavyweight category that even have decent technique and athleticism. The division is tantamount to a joke. Ono absolutely dominates the toughest division in all of Judo with a pool of world class athletes far far larger than Teddy's. Plus, the most amazing thing as a side note - Ono trains with Teddy and despite being literally half his size, he whips Riner's ass in training.

To sum it up, Ono is greater than Riner. What he does, has done and will do is far greater than Teddy.
If you are familiar with qualifications process in Olympic sports, you will know that they are based on regional principle.
Which means, that sometimes, an area in the world will be absolutely murderous to compete in, while others (like Oceania, for example) will get you qualified as Olympian squad member with only mediocre skills.
Not trying to discredit judokas from some areas, but it is obvious in the Olympics, that regional qualifications sometimes result in category, where put against each other are the winner of San Quentin shank contest vs Siberian GULAG "Last man standing" survivor and then, the fastest IKEA cashier.

HW is the top dogs category.
Iliadis also have thrown Teddy in training, but Iliadis is not going to join HWs anytime soon.

Last edited:
The first gold medalist for Brazil, Silva, had quite impressive life.
She is a favela girl, from a family of drug addicts and Judo really saved her life.
All her friends and family were constantly telling her that women have no place in fighting sports, she was called a "monkey" plenty of times and after her mom watched her losing in the last Olympics, she commented: "I told you, this sport is not for you!".
She was bullied quite a lot for that loss, blamed that she didnt know the rules and etc...
Silva overcame depression with the help of her psychiatrist, who later became very close friend of her (that was the woman, cheering from the crowd, that the camera was showing quite a lot) and that is why Silva was so emotional in her first interview after she won the finals.
It is inspiring story...

Last edited:
I cant wait for my countryman with the same name as me, to compete today.
If he wins, he will be a sambo, sumo, judo european and world champ and top all that with a nice Olympic medal.

Oh, and for those who dont know, the -60 winner, Mudranov, is also 2nd in sambo worlds in 2007.

Also, the Mongolian girl who won the silver, Sumiya Dorjsuren, is several times sambo world champ...

If he wins, he will be a sambo, sumo, judo european and world champ and top all that with a nice Olympic medal.

Oh, and for those who dont know, the -60 winner, Mudranov, is also 2nd in sambo worlds in 2007.

Was highly impressed with Mudranov.

I'm at work with no real way to watch judo. Thoroughly butt flustered

I'm a member of the Judo Inside forum and it's pretty well documented that Ono has his way with Riner in training. Not only has it been covered in both French and Japanese media, Riner himself has stated that Ono throws him almost every time they spar. This is actually one of the main reasons why Ono has this mythological aura about him in Japan after this news of him and Riner came out.

Some photos of Teddy and Ono sparring:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
That´s the only uchimata that works for me against big guys, kind of puch the face with a fist ---
The first gold medalist for Brazil, Silva, had quite impressive life.
She is a favela girl, from a family of drug addicts and Judo really saved her life.
All her friends and family were constantly telling her that women have no place in fighting sports, she was called a "monkey" plenty of times and after her mom watched her losing in the last Olympics, she commented: "I told you, this sport is not for you!".
She was bullied quite a lot for that loss, blamed that she didnt know the rules and etc...
Silva overcame depression with the help of her psychiatrist, who later became very close friend of her (that was the woman, cheering from the crowd, that the camera was showing quite a lot) and that is why Silva was so emotional in her first interview after she won the finals.
It is inspiring story...
That silly attitude is typical in Southamerica, that´s why we are not developed yet ...

im going to fly down there, find whoever's blowing that fucking horn, and break their legs.

Your boy is going up against Travis Stevens next ... I got to root for the 'Murican here, but if he has to lose, then I hope Ivanov goes all the way.

Edit .... wow, Nagase got beaten by a stalling yuko, delivered by an import fighter under the UAE banner? That's a horrible blow to the Japanese team.

These import fighters are embarrassing and shouldn't be allowed IMO. "Sergiu Toma" is as much a legit UAE athlete as I am.

Last edited:
Valois-Fortier just got put out in Golden score. Good run, dude.

Back