Official Judo Thread

word ^

I thought they had moved back to wazari-awasete ippon... I checked (again) and indeed that is the rule for 2018-2020.
yeah, they changed that right after i posted that. i'm kinda stoked to see two-yuko matches. should make things more exciting

A Hadaka Jime from front is still legal in Judo competition, as long as no neck-cranking happens.
what BJJ dudes consider a neck crank and what judo refs consider a neck crank are wooorlds apart

Kata-sankaku in newaza is prohibited to block the opponents body with the legs and must be mate. (my comment: so you can't lock in dojime/full guard and apply an arm-in guillotine).

that's what i mean. you can't do guillotine chokes the right way, which is retarded.

A bit off topic, but I haven't found the common "movement" drills very helpful. Throwing a compliant uke while moving just requires simple adjustments, whereas getting your uke to react the way you want is comparatively difficult both in concept and execution.

Therefore, I would say that the process of opening up uke includes whatever movement pattern you need to accomplish the entry.

I would like there to be more resources on this topic. It is basically useless to show the end technique but virtually all Judo books or videos just focus on it.

Training is a progressive process.

I believe that the primary problem with most judo training is that, as you put it, show end technique and train end technique almost if not exclusively, but pay little if no attention to process.

You have to embed he process (of "opening up uke", as you put it) over the perfection of technique (the process is technique as well, IMO, and IME) in order to learn/teach how to judo most effectively. Once the process is imbedded/ingrained at a given skill level (of process), complexity can be added.

It is a long process, because you have to teach technique (as in say, Tsuri Komi Goshi) along with process. So the simpler the initial technique, the better, and the more "core" the technique, the better, to practice the process. Process is posture, gripping, movement, actiion reaction, etc.

I struggle with the balance, but in the long run, if you have enough time (to practice), it is possible. And different people require different blends, so that makes it even tougher to manage. 2 days a week is not really enough...

word ^

yeah, they changed that right after i posted that. i'm kinda stoked to see two-yuko matches. should make things more exciting

what BJJ dudes consider a neck crank and what judo refs consider a neck crank are wooorlds apart

that's what i mean. you can't do guillotine chokes the right way, which is retarded.

LOL at sarcasm...I prefer that waza ari do not add up. It's a myth that people try to throw for waza ari/yuko, pretty much. I think that matches were lasting too long and the IJF wants matches over quickly, to avoid boredom on the part of uneducated audience they want to attract, in order to be more popular and make more money. Sports entertainment is where it's at...

Regarding guillotine choke, the retarded thing is they show legs locked around uke in context of head and arm choke, not a arm out guillotine choke.

Signs of neck crank being applied are fairly obvious. Refs need to be educated, and that is ongoing, have had some interesting discussions on facebook group involving high level ref(s).

Not sure that whoever is making the rules at IJF level understands some aspects of katame waza...

getting your uke to react the way you want is comparatively difficult both in concept and execution.

Our YouTube channel has videos for setting up techniques that you may find interesting. Each technique series is broken down into 3 parts: Basics > Set ups > Competitive variations - check us out at https://www.youtube.com/c/efficientjudo

We've just recorded our second batch of content, so will be posting more shortly...

Very interesting and legal Kata Guruma variant from Sambo master:

Our YouTube channel has videos for setting up techniques that you may find interesting. Each technique series is broken down into 3 parts: Basics > Set ups > Competitive variations - check us out at https://www.youtube.com/c/efficientjudo

We've just recorded our second batch of content, so will be posting more shortly...

giphy.webp

My gym is gonna add another judo class and perhaps a wresting class. I'm excited.

This last couple months I've seen improvement.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something but if one likes guillotine leg grabs and other moves that are not allowed in judo comp why not compete in bjj?

because Judo isn't about competition, and if BJJ were on concrete, everybody'd learn Judo first.

because Judo isn't about competition, and if BJJ were on concrete, everybody'd learn Judo first.

I don't follow?

It seems like if one doesn't like the way mat work is officiated in judo a bjj tournament would be a better fit or would fun experience to try. That's one of the reasons I don't mind the current judo rules so much; BJJ is available to compete in. And If I ever get bored of BJJ I can do a judo event.

Last edited:
It seems like if one doesn't like the way mat work is officiated in judo a bjj tournament would be a better fit.
Judo rules are not written in stone. If we do not like the rules we can change them. Leglocks were part of judo competition until 1925 and were preserved in Sambo whose founder moved to Russia from Japan in 1913.

Judo rules are not written in stone. If we do not like the rules we can change them. Leglocks were part of judo competition until 1925 and were preserved in Sambo whose founder moved to Russia from Japan in 1913.

Sure,but that sounds more difficult than going to a BJJ tournament which is already established.

or you can just roll with leglocks and guillotines in judo. or train with leg grabs.

kodokan judo ≠ IJF judo

or you can just roll with leglocks and guillotines in judo. or train with leg grabs.

kodokan judo ≠ IJF judo

Let me put it like this: Why do you still compete in judo but not BJJ given all the negatives you've mentioned about judo tournaments etc?

You can say you think BJJ rules are silly, I won't be offended.

Last edited:
What rule d9 you wish they would change in bjj? I think sweeps from guard should be 1 point rather than 2.
Everything. Take Judo rules, relax gripping constraints (same side gripping, etc.), allow groundfight to go until clear stalling, or someone stands up. Add leglocks, leg attacks, and all chokes. We can discuss if sweeps should give points or not.

i really like the freestyle judo rules. i'd amend them with 10-second pins, and open season on all subs save for heel hooks in gi and dangerous shit like lion tamers.

i really like the freestyle judo rules. i'd amend them with 10-second pins, and open season on all subs save for heel hooks in gi and dangerous shit like lion tamers.
If I'm not mistaken, freestyle rules don't score ippon from a pin. They may have changed that since I last looked. That's the rule I have the most problem with, though.

Back