Official Judo Thread

that's why i'd give it the ten seconds. i think 20s(and especially 25s) is a little ridiculous for ippon when the old kodokan rules were 3s pins.

so then under their point system:

3-5s = 2
5-9.9999s = 4
10s = win

i also agree with Russky on eliminating grip penalties. i'd eliminate crossfacing penalties too.

every shido in judo is for stalling:
out of bounds? stall.
false attack? stall.
getting handsy? stall.

so to me, it doesn't make sense to pause the action to penalize stalling, or do all this grip fuckery. the new rules state everything's legit 'as long as you're attacking' but don't really qualify what 'attacking' is.

i think what freestyle really gets right is penalizing belly-down turtles for noncombativity. that's exactly what they are, and the fact that it's used as a viable tactic to avoid groundwork really pisses me off.

i'd eliminate crossfacing penalties because

1. crossfacing is awesome
2. if you don't wanna get crossfaced, don't be in a position to get crossfaced

re 'neck cranks', i think you could just amend the rules to say 'no intentional twisting of the neck' and 'no unsupported neck flexion'

if your head is twisting because you're using your chin to block a bow-and-arrow/clock choke attempt, that's your own fuckin' fault.

if my crotch, forearm, or your shoulder is in the way of your neck bending, it's not a 'crank'. damn it.

so like:
can opener = not okay
rnc face crank = not okay
pulling the head down in a triangle = okay
guillotine from guard = okay
peruvian necktie = okay (pretty sure it is anyway)
gerbi choke = okay (no idea why it's even illegal)

the problem is a lot of the old guard just don't have the newaza chops the new generation has, and want to draw a stark line between BJJ and Judo.

to me, that's arbitrary and artificial, based on competitive rulesets. i don't want there to be a difference. they're like mac and cheese...hall and oates...peanut butter and jelly....bert and ernie...they belong together

and i'll say this until i'm blue in the face: maaaaaybe nobody watches judo because it's really boring watching people in pajamas playing pattycake while someone who looks like a constipated mortician stops the damn match every 15 seconds to yell at them in japanese....

Everything. Take Judo rules, relax gripping constraints (same side gripping, etc.), allow groundfight to go until clear stalling, or someone stands up. Add leglocks, leg attacks, and all chokes. We can discuss if sweeps should give points or not.

Huh? That is more like the current bjj ruleset than the current judo ruleset. Of course bjj doesn't have an ippon for big throws but I don't see how ippon is preferable to allowing leg locks etc?

Last edited:
i also agree with Russky on eliminating grip penalties. i'd eliminate crossfacing penalties too.

every shido in judo is for stalling:
out of bounds? stall.
false attack? stall.
getting handsy? stall.

so to me, it doesn't make sense to pause the action to penalize stalling, or do all this grip fuckery. the new rules state everything's legit 'as long as you're attacking' but don't really qualify what 'attacking' is.

i think what freestyle really gets right is penalizing belly-down turtles for noncombativity. that's exactly what they are, and the fact that it's used as a viable tactic to avoid groundwork really pisses me off.

i'd eliminate crossfacing penalties because

1. crossfacing is awesome
2. if you don't wanna get crossfaced, don't be in a position to get crossfaced

re 'neck cranks', i think you could just amend the rules to say 'no intentional twisting of the neck' and 'no unsupported neck flexion'

if your head is twisting because you're using your chin to block a bow-and-arrow/clock choke attempt, that's your own fuckin' fault.

if my crotch, forearm, or your shoulder is in the way of your neck bending, it's not a 'crank'. damn it.

so like:
can opener = not okay
rnc face crank = not okay
pulling the head down in a triangle = okay
guillotine from guard = okay
peruvian necktie = okay (pretty sure it is anyway)
gerbi choke = okay (no idea why it's even illegal)

the problem is a lot of the old guard just don't have the newaza chops the new generation has, and want to draw a stark line between BJJ and Judo.

to me, that's arbitrary and artificial, based on competitive rulesets. i don't want there to be a difference. they're like mac and cheese...hall and oates...peanut butter and jelly....bert and ernie...they belong together

Just compete in BJJ occasionally, problem solved. People tend not to turtle in BJJ. There is no ippon but you can still throw, get a dominant position and then apply a submission. If the opponent decides to pull guard they just gave you the position you wanted!

Only reasons I can think of for a judo competitor that likes ne waza not to also try BJJ is dojo politics or lack of bjj tournaments and money to pay for them.

Last edited:
Huh? That is more like the current bjj ruleset than the current judo ruleset. Of course bjj doesn't have an ippon for big throws. But I don't think you or anyone else would stop competing in judo if ippon was eliminated but leg locks etc were allowed back in. I don't see how ippon is a necessary component of judo?
Ippon is literally what you're supposed to strive for in competition. Others may disagree with me, but I would say ippon is very necessary. If you remove ippon, the entire game changes.

Ippon is literally what you're supposed to strive for in competition. Others may disagree with me, but I would say ippon is very necessary. If you remove ippon, the entire game changes.

I don't see the benefit of ippon, other than it means judo matches can be very quick.

If you are a big fan of winning by ippon though BJJ is clearly an inferior rule set. But so far most of the discussion is what is wrong with judo rules not why they are preferable to BJJ, which is kind of weird in a thread about Judo.

Last edited:
Bjj ruleset is awful. Whoever drops on his butt first wins.

I wouldn't say that, passing guard is 3 points whereas a sweep is two. Takedowns are 2 points as well and not everyone pulls guard. Most of my opponents try for take downs.

Plus there are several different rules sets out there.

Last edited:
I don't see the benefit of ippon, other than it means judo matches can be very quick.

If you are a big fan of winning by ippon though BJJ is clearly an inferior rule set. But so far most of the discussion is what is wrong with judo rules not why they are preferable to BJJ, which is kind of weird in a thread about Judo.
If you don't see the benefit of encouraging big throws, then I'm honestly wondering why you train judo. If you remove ippon, there is no incentive to go for anything large.

If you don't see the benefit of encouraging big throws, then I'm honestly wondering why you train judo. If you remove ippon, there is no incentive to go for anything large.

I always thought of Ippon as the "one thrust, one kill" mentality of the ancient samurai. This also fuels my frustration with rolling uke on the mat gently "Ippons".

I always thought of Ippon as the "one thrust, one kill" mentality of the ancient samurai. This also fuels my frustration with rolling uke on the mat gently "Ippons".

I've always thought of it as to encourage the behaviour of practising / striving towards clean technique.

So I've got a contusion on the outside edge of my left foot. I've been keeping it in the air during ukemi and nagekomi but it's not healing very quickly. Does anybody have a good method for padding? Should I just tape a piece of styrofoam or neoprene over it?

So I've got a contusion on the outside edge of my left foot. I've been keeping it in the air during ukemi and nagekomi but it's not healing very quickly. Does anybody have a good method for padding? Should I just tape a piece of styrofoam or neoprene over it?

I find that bruises on the feet always take a long time to heal - not helped by ashi-waza. I would tape it / wrap it, not so much because it will help it, more for it being a clear sign to training partners that its injured. I find Ibuprofen gels can speed up recovery with these types of things.

To be honest most of the coaches I trained with judo under focused either on ne waza or ashi waza rather than big throws like uchi mata or Ura nage. So my experience of judo is probably very different than yours.

Its actually kind of hard for me to imagine any but the most competitive judo club really focusing on the big throws like that.

Last edited:
buddy, not to be a dick, but you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. you haven't been doing Judo long enough to make generalizations about anything, other than "I generally don't know shit about Judo"

Super bummed I didn't do the tournament last weekend. Both of my coaches did and did excellent. My main coach won Masters, and placed 3rd in two different Senior weight divisions and went up against some World and Olympic medalist studs.

My other coach is a much smaller guy that I don't work with as much but was a NCAA D1 tournament qualifier and so on. He ran through his division with the quickness, and looked phenomenal. I don't know how to post the videos because they are on Facebook.

A good throw is exponentially more powerful than a poor one. Not one or two times. More like ten times and above.

If you do not train for ippon, then there is no point in doing Judo. It would be a silly game to base a grappling art on just takedowns without ippon. It would have far more meaning to go for pin or sub then.

buddy, not to be a dick, but you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. you haven't been doing Judo long enough to make generalizations about anything, other than "I generally don't know shit about Judo"

Huh? I was mostly talking about my direct personal experience. The only generalization I might make is USA judo is less competitive and less professional than in other countries which you seem to agree with.

You never did answer my question on why don't you compete in BJJ if you like guillotines and ne waza so much. It seems like a reasonable on to ask.

Last edited:
Back