Official Judo Thread

A good throw is exponentially more powerful than a poor one. Not one or two times. More like ten times and above.

If you do not train for ippon, then there is no point in doing Judo. It would be a silly game to base a grappling art on just takedowns without ippon. It would have far more meaning to go for pin or sub then.

I see. I remember you saying that the big throws took a lot out of you and you prefer bjj practice now. Did you go back to focusing on judo or was that someone else?

I like BJJ and big throws are hard to do and risky, but still the value and essence of Judo is the big throws. And it's not just about fighting effectiveness, but for your development.

Right now I do BJJ more but a large part is that there are many good open mats in my area, but Judo not so much.

I don't compete in BJJ because I've been focusing on improving my Judo for the past year and plan on competing at the Senior Nationals.

It's also a time issue: I'm already doing Judo 6x/week, plus helping plan the NCJA Nationals, plus fundraising for that club, and a part-time job, and that's on top of 18 credits. We've got a 3rd degree Alliance Black Belt in town who's got an ADCC silver medalist training there. As much as I'd love to spend another 12 hours a week getting my shit pushed in, I don't have time unless I quit Judo altogether. While that BJJ pedigree might seem like a good reason to do so, we've had a 2x olympic bronze medalist here for the past year, and I spent all weekend at a seminar she and another Korean Olympian put on over 3 days hosted by my club, so yeah, I'm happy with my training right meow.

I don't compete in BJJ because I've been focusing on improving my Judo for the past year and plan on competing at the Senior Nationals.

It's also a time issue: I'm already doing Judo 6x/week, plus helping plan the NCJA Nationals, plus fundraising for that club, and a part-time job, and that's on top of 18 credits. We've got a 3rd degree Alliance Black Belt in town who's got an ADCC silver medalist training there. As much as I'd love to spend another 12 hours a week getting my shit pushed in, I don't have time unless I quit Judo altogether. While that BJJ pedigree might seem like a good reason to do so, we've had a 2x olympic bronze medalist here for the past year, and I spent all weekend at a seminar she and another Korean Olympian put on over 3 days hosted by my club, so yeah, I'm happy with my training right meow.

I don't see how that is relevant when there are beginner divisions in bjj? Just enter as a white belt. If your as good at leg locks/ guillotines as you say you should be able to win pretty easy in that division. If that is too easy you could do intermediate no gi.

I only spend 2 hours a week on judo out 10 -12 training grappling but I'm considering competing in it again this year.

Last edited:
i've been doing judo for 12 years. doing a BJJ comp as a beginner/intermediate would be horseshit. i've never said i was good at leg locks. my heel hook defense is tapping. under sub challenge and naga rules, I'd have to enter the black belt division. i'm not good enough for that, and people gator rolling on leglocks scares the fuck outta me.

2 hours of judo per week isn't enough to be competitive.

Hi Guys,

We've just released a short video of some Ashi-waza drills, let us know what you think!

i appreciate what you guys are trying to do, but i think your videos are too talky. i'd suggest just showing more repetitions of each drill from various camera angles and not worrying about narration, just descriptive text at the bottom of the frame.

Maybe I'm missing something but if one likes guillotine leg grabs and other moves that are not allowed in judo comp why not compete in bjj?
Guillotine choke is legal in judo comps, neck cranks are not. The silly rule about head and arm is just silly and misinformed.

Leg grabs, yeah, total ban is silly in Judo.

Oh, and because Judo ruleset is interesting and and of itself, just like the various bjj rulesets.

Judo rules are not written in stone. If we do not like the rules we can change them. Leglocks were part of judo competition until 1925 and were preserved in Sambo whose founder moved to Russia from Japan in 1913.
I'd love to see straight leg, ankle locks and foot locks back in Judo. Not any more dangerous than armbars...

Everything. Take Judo rules, relax gripping constraints (same side gripping, etc.), allow groundfight to go until clear stalling, or someone stands up. Add leglocks, leg attacks, and all chokes. We can discuss if sweeps should give points or not.
Points for pins, but not sweeps or other advantages. Too complicated, and I like the fact Judo scores finishing techniques.

Non standard gripping as long as it's not stalling/defensive. Leg grabs, fine, as long as not used as stalling tactic. maybe have to have one hand grip before leg attack...

Huh? That is more like the current bjj ruleset than the current judo ruleset. Of course bjj doesn't have an ippon for big throws but I don't see how ippon is preferable to allowing leg locks etc?
BJJ has a lot of restrictions on what techniques can be used at what level of competition. To say "leg locks are legal in BJJ" is an overly broad statement.

BJJ standup generally sucks, they might as well just start on their feet. IBJJF rules are as the bear said, worse than Judo. Go to a comp oriented BJJ school, and it's all about racking up those points and how to do that.

Thank dog my BJJ school doesn't train that way. Get on top, stay on top, and sub a MF...

I don't see the benefit of ippon, other than it means judo matches can be very quick.

If you are a big fan of winning by ippon though BJJ is clearly an inferior rule set. But so far most of the discussion is what is wrong with judo rules not why they are preferable to BJJ, which is kind of weird in a thread about Judo.
Ippon for pin, ippon for armbar, ippon for choke...

Not just throwing...

To be honest most of the coaches I trained with judo under focused either on ne waza or ashi waza rather than big throws like uchi mata or Ura nage. So my experience of judo is probably very different than yours.

Its actually kind of hard for me to imagine any but the most competitive judo club really focusing on the big throws like that.
Beginner stuff is what they are doing, plus, if you have crappy mats (common, especially in BJJ places, but not uncommon in Judo clubs), nage komi for big throws hurts and is not safe.

Uchi Mata is hard, Ura Nage, well, it's hard too (doing and falling), neither are beginner throws.

i've been doing judo for 12 years. doing a BJJ comp as a beginner/intermediate would be horseshit. i've never said i was good at leg locks. my heel hook defense is tapping. under sub challenge and naga rules, I'd have to enter the black belt division. i'm not good enough for that, and people gator rolling on leglocks scares the fuck outta me.

2 hours of judo per week isn't enough to be competitive.

Well put...

I'm so broken getting thrown by anyone older than 12, even on our suspended floor, is not fun. I do BJJ because I can still roll and go to work the next day. Plus I always liked ne waza.

I doubt I will ever compete at BJJ, I have too many bad joints and trust issues with guys going gonzo on me for a silly scrap of pot metal in the blue belt division.

this is for sure my last push for competition. i've got all sorts of chronic injuries - both elbows are shot, my back is shot from HS football, i've got deep hip pain on my fallin' side that comes and goes, and my fallin' foot has a contusion on it that doesn't seem to want to go away. i plan on doing/teaching judo the rest of my life, just not at competitive intensity. i'm basically gonna run this bitch til the wheels fall off, then go back to BJJ. i bounce good, but i can't bounce forever...

I dunno if it was the intent but reading about you guys' injuries has me less Interested in doing another judo tournament.

Focusing on BJJ comp seems preferable on every level. The fact that people pull guard is actually a bit of a positive as it means I'm less likely to be injured by a big throw.

Last edited:
this is for sure my last push for competition. i've got all sorts of chronic injuries - both elbows are shot, my back is shot from HS football, i've got deep hip pain on my fallin' side that comes and goes, and my fallin' foot has a contusion on it that doesn't seem to want to go away. i plan on doing/teaching judo the rest of my life, just not at competitive intensity. i'm basically gonna run this bitch til the wheels fall off, then go back to BJJ. i bounce good, but i can't bounce forever...

The older you get, the worse it gets, IME. I do BJJ, but even that puts a strain on me. As I told my coach, my attitude writes checks my body can't cash. Once I got my cardio back up to something reasonable for a 55 year old man, I broke myself on the shores of black, purple, and brown belts. In fact, I now have a cold, so can't go to train tonight. Sick school kids to wife to me, the joy of it all.

Quality of life outside the dojo is a thing, so make sure you get your stuff taken care of.

I dunno if it was the intent but reading about you guys' injuries has me less Interested in doing another judo tournament.

Focusing on BJJ comp seems preferable on every level. The fact that people pull guard is actually a bit of a positive as it means I'm less likely to be injured by a big throw.

I've been doing Judo for almost 38 years now, since I was 17 years old. I competed multiple times a year from the time I was 18 years old, competed at US Nationals, National Collegiate, and up to US Open/International level. And you can bet I trained seriously for it, multiple times a week, running, weights, judo 5-6 times a week, all through 5 years of college. I had to slow down in grad school, but still trained 3-4 days a week, coached, competed, and worked out. I kept training and competing after getting a full time job in 1991, locally (normal divisions), and nationally but in Masters (30+) age class.

The last time I competed I ripped my right shoulder (level 3 AC joint tear), at 50 years old, and retired from competition.

I don't think you need to worry too much about ending up with a bunch of chronic injuries, or even 1 from a "big throw" at the occasional judo tournament.

Back