Official Judo Thread

I've been doing Judo for almost 38 years now, since I was 17 years old. I competed multiple times a year from the time I was 18 years old, competed at US Nationals, National Collegiate, and up to US Open/International level. And you can bet I trained seriously for it, multiple times a week, running, weights, judo 5-6 times a week, all through 5 years of college. I had to slow down in grad school, but still trained 3-4 days a week, coached, competed, and worked out. I kept training and competing after getting a full time job in 1991, locally (normal divisions), and nationally but in Masters (30+) age class.

The last time I competed I ripped my right shoulder (level 3 AC joint tear), at 50 years old, and retired from competition.

I don't think you need to worry too much about ending up with a bunch of chronic injuries, or even 1 from a "big throw" at the occasional judo tournament.

That really isn't motivating to hear at all. What do you tell people to get them to do judo instead of or more often than BJJ? Or does that conversation not come up for you?

I think my senior coach told the two guys I train with the most that Judo would help them with the stand up part of BJJ and make them more comfortable falling. They only compete in BJJ right now though.

Last edited:
We have two BJJ guys in our judo club, one with both hip joint problems, another with both shoulder and back problems. All these injuries come from BJJ.

Judo feels much easier on my body, but there are still some small injuries time to time. It does hurt time to time, but it is not like getting stacked and then spending next two weeks in pain.

I tend to go to turtle rather than get stacked playing guard, and If the person is much bigger than me I don't use full guard at all.

I also found that if I don't want to be the one on bottom I just have to stand up and my partner will immediately play a sitting open guard.

Problem is I don't get a chance to pass guard from a standing position like this when I compete, so sometimes I put myself in the persons closed guard just to get that extra practice.

Last edited:
Good. They need to quit changing the rules every damn year. Getting rid of awasete was stupid, but not as stupid as making two yukos win the damn match, or trying to disincentivize groundwork. Maybe Judo would be more popular if the IJF climbed out of its own ass.

Last edited:
A nice heavyweight sode tsuriomi goshi! Gurman Tushishvili is a beast:

I am not sure what happened here, nor this call:

It looked like Tushishvili tried some sort of sankaku, but his knee seemed to have hit the Kageura on the ear and complained about it. Pretty bs imo, it is judo. In grappling arts, these things happen.

Daria Bilodid of Ukraine executing a perfect ouchi gari to back take:

and her signature sankaku (almost made a big mistake when the uke performed a drop seoi nage):

Daria Bilodid of Ukraine executing a perfect ouchi gari to back take:

and her signature sankaku (almost made a big mistake when the uke performed a drop seoi nage):

She´s tall eh, almost got a nice juji gatame when the korean failed seoi nage.
"I attacked with O Soto Gari.

He defended.

I insisted."

-- Kimura Masahiko
Loved that, didn´t know it.

That really isn't motivating to hear at all. What do you tell people to get them to do judo instead of or more often than BJJ? Or does that conversation not come up for you?

I think my senior coach told the two guys I train with the most that Judo would help them with the stand up part of BJJ and make them more comfortable falling. They only compete in BJJ right now though.
Keep in mind some injuries are because some people didn´t want to take the fall.That happened to me in one tournament hahaha-

I had no idea that Shohei Ono was back competing right now, his knee seems to be doing good:

Interesting attempted technique by Heydarov... what would you call it ? A reverse ura nage?

Bilodid wins her second Grand Slam/Third IJF tournament of the year:

Ono has gold once again! I am happy to see his successful return.

Back