Official Judo Thread

I expected Liparteliani to run through him, but had no idea that Judo existed in Ireland.. new world champions from Ireland lol:

Here's a compilation of ippons from Dusseldorf. The final tai otoshi is pretty awesome.

Here are even more ippons:

I always like seeing harai goshi pop up in these.

Team USA's Adonis Dias got his first ever grand prix/slam medal today in 8 events at Istanbul's grand prix - he got a bronze.

Been trying to get in some good training again, but my lower back is buggered. Trying to throw, it feels just like hitting a wall halfway into the technique.

Been trying to get in some good training again, but my lower back is buggered. Trying to throw, it feels just like hitting a wall halfway into the technique.
Ouch, just take it slow then. Your health is always more important. Maybe you’ll have to focus on foot sweeps more for now.

Ouch, just take it slow then. Your health is always more important. Maybe you’ll have to focus on foot sweeps more for now.
Thanks for your concern, my friend. I think I will take some classes off and ease back in with some foot sweeps.

I'm just so stubborn when I've just come back from another injury!

That really isn't motivating to hear at all. What do you tell people to get them to do judo instead of or more often than BJJ? Or does that conversation not come up for you?

I think my senior coach told the two guys I train with the most that Judo would help them with the stand up part of BJJ and make them more comfortable falling. They only compete in BJJ right now though.

99.99% of people are never going to do Judo as long or as seriously as I have, so it's not really an issue.

It's entirely possible to do Judo sanely. It's just say, for example, RJ and I didn't choose that path.

99.99% of people are never going to do Judo as long or as seriously as I have, so it's not really an issue.

It's entirely possible to do Judo sanely. It's just say, for example, RJ and I didn't choose that path.

I was asking more about the interplay between Judo and BJJ in your area/ club and what you do to recruit and retain people on the judo mat, motivate them to compete etc.

Last edited:
RJ's three-step guide to panty-moistening badassedness:

1. cross-train combat sports
2. embrace the pain
3. git gud

RJ's three-step guide to panty-moistening badassedness:

1. cross-train combat sports
2. embrace the pain
3. git gud
I agree, I think it is crazy how better your newaza will generally be if you know even basic white-belt bjj. You could even pin and tap a majority of brown/black belts. They have good newaza for judo, but when it comes to any passes/half guard passes/sweeps and so on, most people don't have an idea. Turning to your back up isn't a good strategy either. I like judo and some of their approaches to grappling, but some of them have no idea how to pass a guard when somebody can use easy retention.

rather than having glaring holes in any one facet of my game, i've decided to just be acceptably mediocre at everything.

except leg locks. fuck footsies. i just tap. my knees are all i have left.

The European championships are happening now. It should be big fun. Russia, Germany, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Holland, France, Georgia etc. There are no big fish in small ponds here. We all have turns about winning and losing to each other.

Back