Official Judo Thread

Is Idalys Ortiz by far the more boring judo player to watch?
Welcome to the +78 weight class.. where you see huge people just walk forward in the hope of their uke's gaining a shido.. at least in the male's heavyweight, there are some smaller guys who can out-technique and throw the bigger uke's (eg, Tushishvili). But apart from that, most of the heavyweight division is dreadful to watch.

I think I've had it in for her, ever since I saw her in the 2012 Olympics, crawling out of bounds to avoid newaza.

Lost 20lbs in the last 3 months with diet, running and Judo. The experience edge is starting to show now against the younger Browns and Blacks since I'm not coughing up lungs....old technique and reactions are coming back, goal is to lose 5 more lbs and hit the weights...

Might even Shiai for the first time since the injury

you're being taught wrong.
Damn, I was trying to be diplomatic...

If either you or I had a dollar for all the incorrectly taught judo we've seen, at least one of us would be able to afford more ibuprofen and alleve...

I'm really stoked for the Day 2 highlights. I caught about an hour of the elimination round last night and it was phenomenal. I was gonna post the final but ippon.tv isn't making it available here in freedomland.

there was a great conversation between Neil Adams and the gal he was commentating with. They touched on leg grabs (she missed them but also conceded that it made folks get more clever with their counters) and were really, really stoked about how much more ground time there was.

Neil also specifically mentioned how rapidly BJJ was helping newaza evolve, and how a lot of folks are now cross-training and bringing that knowledge back into Judo. It was at least 50/50 last night for throwing/groundwork, and so many people were attacking folks who got defensive on the ground.

We've spent the last 2-3 weeks solely on attacking and retaining back control, and I was kinda worried that some of the old guard would be a bit 'meh' about it and want to see more turnovers, but there have been so many bow-and-arrows and armbars over the last two days that I almost feel vindicated :)

We both know you were vindicated anyway, regardless of sour grapes.

Turning people over to pin them is kiddie judo. Graduating to the full range of possibilities is grown-up Judo.

I'm not surprised. Think about it though, why lift uke if you want to throw him down ?

I was told that is best to get uke to try and put his weight on that foot on his own, then reap that leg as it coming down. So you lift, pull him in that direction, Uke will need to put that foot down.

I was told that is best to get uke to try and put his weight on that foot on his own, then reap that leg as it coming down. So you lift, pull him in that direction, Uke will need to put that foot down.

I was about to chime in that this was a possibility, of course easier if you are taller. Personally I lift on the tsurite side while pulling down on the other, for the same reason.

This is another unfortunate part of Judo teaching. Everyone's way is colored by their own experiences. Sensei that can see the big picture are rare and very valuable.

That makes more sense, you are setting up an action-reaction sequence, to get uke weight on the foot/leg.

Just make sure you have uke weight on it, if it isn't, he can just move his leg out of the way.

By the end of last practice it was just me and a HW shodan..so coach decided we'd randori shiai style...had the bow on and everything to help the other guy get over competition anxiety

I'm the opposite

Have not played for points since injury, holy shit bowing on threw a switch..

Got my ass kicked (40lb weight diff) but felt great working I pushed him hard, might actually compete again

didnt mean to be a dickbag.

in my experience, a shorter person pulls their osotogari down, a taller person lifts theirs up, and if youre the same size its either or. idea being you're forcing most of their weight to that side and attacking the chest.

didnt mean to be a dickbag.

in my experience, a shorter person pulls their osotogari down, a taller person lifts theirs up, and if youre the same size its either or. idea being you're forcing most of their weight to that side and attacking the chest.

Interesting, I was taught the lift up method. I’m not sure it matters much, but the lift up method is better for hitting combinations since you can forward throw off it. My guess is that the lift up approach is used more by guys who are looking for that harai/osoto combo, which is my favorite big throw combo.

think about it biomechanically - if i'm taller than you, i can lift you up by the sleeve and collar easier than i can pull you down, and vice-versa. same reason taller people have to lift a shorter uke to get underneath of them for seoi nage, but a shorter person's seoi nage is a pull down. that's not to say pushing down doesn't work. i'm pretty sure that's what Teddy does but he also hits his osoto when uke steps forward, rather than away, and i think he's pushing down with the lapel hand while pulling up on the sleeve.

Hey recently I've been having success with a weird variation of seoi nage / seoi otoshi with an erin grip.

Do you guys think it's possible to do drop seoi nage with an erin grip?

yes, but having control of the arm lets you pull the arm underneath of you as you roll through, which prevents them from being able to sprawl/roundoff/whatever. you can still roll forward to score, especially if they try to take your back right away because judo is stupid and nobody's changed that rule yet, but ideally you'd get enough of their shoulder/gi back underneath of you as you drop. that's a lot harder without an arm to control.

reverse grip? all fuckin' day. as soon as you've popped your head out the other side you drop STRAIGHT down. if you don't mind smacking your head on the mat you're dropping them into a hellacious backfall AND you're right there for side control. if i were just a few inches i would spam the fuck out of that technique because it's so fun to do and absolutely wrecks people. ah well.

I'm noticing a lot of the footsweeps my coach shows require a uke to move a certain way that some of the newer guys struggle to do. Is there a way to overcome this? Its real frustrating.

tell them to walk like they have a stick up their ass. core tight, balls of the feet, and when they get pulled or pushed in a direction they step rather than fold.

also, don't let them look down. that just fucks everything up.

sometimes it's a confidence issue with falling, sometimes people just want to make everything a competition. i try to splain to people how much effort i expect from each partner before each drill.

Back