Official Women's Division Discussion #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drake

Upcoming!

UFC Fight Night 86 - April 10

CctICAeW0AEK1G7.jpg

SW: Maryna Moroz (6-1) vs Cristina Stanciu (5-0)

---

Bellator 152 - April 16

AUNwI8_X1us.jpg

Fly: Anastasia Yankova (2-0) vs Anjela Pink (0-0)

---

UFC on Fox 19 - April 16

024491_TAM_BoutAnn_1200x1200_04_ESP.jpg

SW: Rose Namajunas (4-2) vs Tecia Torres (7-0)

BW: Bethe Correia (9-1) vs Raquel Pennington (6-5)

---

Rizin FF: Rizin 1 - April 17

Thum_Gabi_en.png
Thum_Anna_en.png

Open: Gabi Garcia (1-0)(LHW) vs Anna Maliukova (1-0)(Fly)

Fly: Kanako Murata (0-0) vs Natalya Denisova (2-1)

---

UFC 197 - April 23

12931056_1017325141656284_8520662540714317949_n.jpg

SW: Juliana Lima (8-2) vs Carla Esparza (10-3)

---

Invicta FC 17 - May 7

invictafc17_banner-1500x630.jpg

BW: (C)Tonya Evinger (17-5) vs Colleen Schneider (10-6)

---

UFC Fight Night 87 - May 8

1739556_1713325158950943_192872043_n.jpg

SW: Karolina Kowalkiewicz (8-0) vs Heather Jo Clark (7-4)

BW: Germaine de Randamie (5-3) vs Anna Elmose (3-0)

---

UFC 198 - May 14

cyborg-vs-smith.0.0.jpg

Catch(140lbs): Cris Cyborg (15-1) vs Leslie Smith (8-6-1)

---

Bellator 155 - May 20

Ce-IuR7WsAAAL-b.jpg

FW: (C)Marloes Coenen (23-6) vs Julia Budd (8-2)

Fly: Veta Arteaga (1-0) vs Jackie Vandenburgh (0-1)

---

UFC Fight Night 88 - May 29

mcm.jpg

BW: Sara McMann (8-3) vs Jessica Eye (11-4)

Being a woman in MMA

markos.jpg

Randa Markos said:
Women’s MMA has come a long way. From rumours saying that there will never be women in the UFC, to having two weight classes jammed with talent and exciting fights. We have had so many women pave the way for the rest of us to make our mark now and in the future. These women have worked so hard to give the rest of us the respect we deserve inside and outside of the gym. We have gone from changing the mind of the head of the UFC Dana White, to MMA fans around the world.

Training as a female in a male dominated sport, I felt that I needed to gain respect by constantly proving myself. Coming from a wrestling background, I was prepared and didn't feel as intimidated when I walked into a room full of guys. I felt that it was more of a challenge for the men to get used to having me as a training partner. Nobody wanted to be partners with a girl, thinking they would get less of a workout with me. Guys would try and take it really easy on me, saying they didn't want to hurt me. I'm sure most women have gone through similar situations, but I just kept working hard. If they went light on me, I would go all out until they picked up the aggression and they started treating me the same as they guys, but without taking my head off. All of my training partners were guys of all sizes. At first I felt that this would be a big advantage for me. The guys were faster, stronger, and more explosive. One of the disadvantages was that I never knew if I was doing well, or if the guys were taking it easy on me. As competition became more challenging, I realized that training with women was a different kind of training all together, and something that I would need.

Women have a different body type. They are more flexible, some are double jointed, and they are harder to control on the ground and the fence. One of the biggest benefits of training with other women is that sparring sessions become like actual fights. When we, women, train with other women, I find that we have something to prove. We end up trying to take each other’s heads off, especially when we are in the same weight class. I feel that now is a great time for any women deciding if they should join a sport like MMA (wrestling, judo, etc.) to give it a shot. We have proven that we deserve the respect. Most MMA women have all started off shattering stereotypes by joining a boxing gym or a wrestling team, so that we could pursue something that we found fun or exciting. If we let our gender or the people saying that women’s sports will never be interesting stop us, just think of all the great female athletes that wouldn't be where they are today. We all face challenges. As women we have been facing challenges since the beginning, and we are still breaking boundaries every single day.

Moroz
Torres
Pennington
Esparza
Clark
Germaine
Marloes
Eye

Them are my picks. I know, get in line to fight me one at time picking Clark over KK.

Last edited:
Moroz
Torres
Esparza
Clark
Germaine
Marloes
Eye

Them are my picks. I know, get in line to fight me one at time picking Clark over KK.

I don't have my picks lined up yet .. I will get back to you with those so our next friendly wmma challenge can get underway. :p

Upcoming!

UFC Fight Night 86 - April 10

CctICAeW0AEK1G7.jpg

---

Bellator 152 - April 16

AUNwI8_X1us.jpg

---

UFC on Fox 19 - April 16

024491_TAM_BoutAnn_1200x1200_04_ESP.jpg

---

Rizin FF: Rizin 1 - April 17

Thum_Gabi_en.png
Thum_Anna_en.png

---

UFC 197 - April 23

12931056_1017325141656284_8520662540714317949_n.jpg

---

Invicta FC 17 - May 7

invictafc17_banner-1500x630.jpg

---

UFC Fight Night 87 - May 8

1739556_1713325158950943_192872043_n.jpg

---

UFC 198 - May 14

cyborg-vs-smith.0.0.jpg

---

Bellator 155 - May 20

Ce-IuR7WsAAAL-b.jpg

---

UFC Fight Night 88 - May 29

mcm.jpg

It's nice to see a good amount of wmma fights lined up for the next two months .. it was looking bleek for a minute there.

Someone tell me my girl Tecia has a solid chance to beat Namajunas again. I'm legitimately worried about it. Tecia is great but I feel based on recent performances, I have to favor Rose there.

Moroz
Torres
Esparza
Clark
Germaine
Marloes
Eye

I'm more upset about that silly pick for Jessica Eye :p

Someone tell me my girl Tecia has a solid chance to beat Namajunas again. I'm legitimately worried about it. Tecia is great but I feel based on recent performances, I have to favor Rose there.
Tecia wins again, bud.

Anastasia Yankova on how she got started fighting and found her way to Bellator
By Steven Marrocco April 4, 2016 7:30 pm

anastasia-yankova-bellator-kickboxing.jpg

Recent Bellator signee Anastasia Yankova remembers watching Lyoto Machida and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua fight and thinking they were superhuman.

Then she started training next to them and found out they were just like everybody else. The only difference was, they worked harder.

“There are no secrets to this, just years of hard work,” Yankova told MMAjunkie via her interpreter and manager Vadim Kornilov.

These days, the 25-year-old fighter from Moscow doesn’t think too much about the marketing machine now aligned with her career. She doesn’t think about whether or not she’s treated differently because of the way she looks. She is working hard – perhaps harder than usual – because of the opportunity she’s been given.

Soon, Yankova (2-0 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) will make her debut for Bellator, facing newcomer Anjela Pink (0-0 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) on April 16 at Bellator 152, and the pressure will be on to perform.
“I’m in the middle of training camp and all I feel is soreness in my muscles and pains after sparring,“ Yankova said.

Before she signed with Bellator, Yankova was more concerned with how she would pay for her life as a student. An art major, she took custom orders online for portraits and made a tidy sum.

When fighting started to take over her life, she wondered how she could make a living and compete professionally. She found out quickly it was more difficult than it looked.

“Until I was able to get some sponsors and some good people around me, I went through not only good people but some unethical and downright rotten people,” she said. “But I was able to overcome all that, and here I am now.”

Yankova, who fights Pink on the Spike-televised main card at Pala Alpitour in Turin, Italy, hatched a business plan for making it big in MMA. Of course, the plan included marketing her good looks to the largely male audience that follows the sport.

Yankova’s mother is a psychologist and her career counselor, but it wasn’t hard to figure out how to get noticed: win fights and look good doing it.

She traveled overseas to the U.S. to train with Machida and Rua at King’s MMA, learning valuable lessons about how the professionals do it. She also got a better idea of what made people successful.

“There are two types of fighters, you have talented fighters, you have super talented fighters, but that’s inside the ring,” she said. Outside the ring, most of them are helpless.

“The second type of fighters don’t only think about preparation for a fight, but also have a business head, and think about building a career, and plan out their future. I would like to think of myself as the second type.”

Yankova said it wasn’t difficult to decide when Bellator came calling. She had just gotten released from a long-term deal with a kickboxing promoter, and so she welcomed the chance to fight for an American outfit with a strong media presence.

Although she has but two MMA fights to her resume, she looks to bolster her presence with a strong debut on April 16. At this point, she isn’t looking beyond Bellator and the 125-pound division; she didn’t make a point to say she wants to fight the biggest stars in women’s MMA such as ex-UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey or strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk.

But her striking skills could set her apart if she’s able to overcome opponents whose first priority is to take her to the mat. There’s going to be a lot of work to do to get there, but she’s happy she’s reached this point.

“Honestly, to have a fight on Spike TV under the banner of one of the two largest MMA companies in the world is a dream for any fighter,” she said. “My fight will be on the main card which will be broadcast all over the world including the US, Russia and Italy – which for a simple girl from a common area of Moscow is not too bad, what do you think?”
http://mmajunkie.com/2016/04/anasta...tarted-fighting-and-found-her-way-to-bellator

A bit off-topic, but if any of you are following Paige VanZant's quest for that mirrorball trophy on DWTS, you're welcome to join me, Urith Faber, and Luke Sansone each Monday:

http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/114435777/

img_20160404_202113_713-jpg.88579

Last edited:

I don't recall seeing anything to suggest Rose can get the fight to the ground and Tecia still has the superior stand-up imo

Damn no more pasta.

Julianna's English is fine, she doesn't need to apologize for it.

I picked Esparza to win but I like Lima, I want to see her do well.

Lima is one of my favorite fighters. She's kind of cute :)
... but besides that I think she's very good fighter and very underrated. I would put my money on her in the fight with JAG.

Shortly before the fight was scheduled with Tecia, Rose said something to the effect that the best chance anybody would have to beat her was by outworking her in stand-up and beating her by decision in that way. That sounds exactly like Tecia's game.

I don't recall seeing anything to suggest Rose can get the fight to the ground and Tecia still has the superior stand-up imo

Rose got Tecia to the ground in the first round of their previous fight and nearly finished Tecia by armbar (she got it deeply in place and hyper-extended Tecia's elbow) but Tecia managed to escape.

Rose got Tecia to the ground in the first round of their previous fight and nearly finished Tecia by armbar (she got it deeply in place and hyper-extended Tecia's elbow) but Tecia managed to escape.

I forgot that, so I suppose it's possible, but I don't see it as being something with a high probability then

Wow, this thread is already 18?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back