Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Did she really ask for 100k a fight with no win bonus? I agree she can have some exciting fights but I thought her getting 62k was a good contract. If she wanted 100k no win bonus I would not have resigned her either.

Lol, actually she even mentioned $250k. Maybe Leslie intended to retire all along though. This way she got her win bonus and a few more cards signed for Project Spearhead. Ladd's fault though, should have made weight.

Dimspace posted this Leslie Smith instagram post in another thread. This changes things for me. First of all what the heck is she talking about fighting for free? She would have gotten paid to fight like everyone else who fights in the UFC. She would have actually gotten more due to Ladd missing weight. So I don't know where she was going with that.

Next she admits that she used the situation to try and negotiate her contract extention. It sounds like the thought process was if they were desperate enough to have this fight happen the UFC might give her a better contract than they normally would if not in a dire situation. Which would be why she just came out and tried to get 100k flat. I don't mind her trying to get her money but I also don't mind the UFC not being receptive to the way she tried to do it. I guess the UFC was not desperate enough.

Her contract was 62k show and win?
that is better than most women's bantamweights for sure. Around the same as cat zingano

Dimspace posted this Leslie Smith instagram post in another thread. This changes things for me. First of all what the heck is she talking about fighting for free? She would have gotten paid to fight like everyone else who fights in the UFC. She would have actually gotten more due to Ladd missing weight. So I don't know where she was going with that.

Next she admits that she used the situation to try and negotiate her contract extention. It sounds like the thought process was if they were desperate enough to have this fight happen the UFC might give her a better contract than they normally would if not in a dire situation. Which would be why she just came out and tried to get 100k flat. I don't mind her trying to get her money but I also don't mind the UFC not being receptive to the way she tried to do it. I guess the UFC was not desperate enough.

If Lesley had fought and lost she wouldn't have got the win bonus though and 20% of Ladd's purse plus $5k would only have amounted to $8k or so. Even if she had fought and won she'd have picked up $70k. I get what she is saying.

I don't think we should take much notice of the 100k or the 250k. She's said the UFC refused to extend the contract under the current terms, which is pretty much the same as all her contemporaries are getting. So the UFC could have had the fight by keeping Leslie on her current scale. It didn't happen because they don't want her on the roster. The obvious reason being her attempts to organize the fighters.

Once Leslie knew they weren't willing to extend her contract there was no point in her fighting since she was getting paid off anyway. If they weren't willing to extend to save the fight it was pretty clear they weren't going to extend in any circumstances.

Ladd precipitated this by missing weight but imagining Smith was dropped for any other reason other than Project Spearhead is a stretch.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/4/...der-series-at-same-weight-as-sister-valentina
"The girls at 135 are too big for me"
Are they though? She's 5'8 and much bigger than Valentina when you compare them in pictures.

At 145 she fights at her walk around weight. Given that many women have at least 10 lbs. on her, I can see her point, but I am not sure how the additional drop will affect her. Val just cleaned her diet up and cut five pounds to make 125. Val is still not a big 125er, and there are a few WSW who walk around larger than her.

I'm curious to know her walking weight. She'd have to diet to at least 135 before dehydrating to 125 (which is 7% and a lot).

Usually about 146 or so pre-camp. I seem to recall this from an interview. I can easily be correct here, but I know she does not cut to make 145, just cleans up her diet and sweats a little to be sure. Even when she has dropped to 135 she has never had an issue making weight.

Usually about 146 or so pre-camp. I seem to recall this from an interview. I can easily be correct here, but I know she does not cut to make 145, just cleans up her diet and sweats a little to be sure. Even when she has dropped to 135 she has never had an issue making weight.
If she's 146 then Antonia should be fine provided 133-134 is her diet goal. I'd be more confident in her consistently making weight in that range.

I am surprised she is that small. I always thought she was a natural 135er. Well, I guess she is and that other fighters just cut a whole lot more weight to make it.

Super Mely is quickly becoming one of my favorite strawweights not signed to the UFC or Invicta

First of all what the heck is she talking about fighting for free?

Because they paid her the win and show money without expecting her to fight or offering her anything more to fight. Hence, if she chose to fight anyway she would be doing so for free because she'd get no more money by fighting than by not fighting.

What Dimspace doesn't mention is that Smith quickly reduced her request down to just getting a two fight extention to her contract at no increase in pay.

Super Mely was very impressive today, her striking is fun asf to watch.

About L. Smith, she said on a interview with Luke Thomas that she DID NOT require for a 100k flat contract, she was down to sign with UFC again for THE SAME amount she's getting paid now, but they refused to offer her anything.
100k flat is what she would ask for AFTER the fight with Aspen Ladd, should she get the W.

Anyone know how I can watch that Super Melly Martinez fight? I know it was on Univision but I didn't see it.

Disappointed Aspen Ladd missed weight. I was looking forward to that one. Not impressed by her weight cuts or interviews.

Best of luck to Leslie Smith down the road. Hoping she'll get signed by Invicta because then I could see her more.

Here's a couple other Melissa Martinez ko's. I like her movement.

Thanks for the Melly Martinez clips. She looks a phenomenal prospect! :eek:

What Dimspace doesn't mention is that Smith quickly reduced her request down to just getting a two fight extention to her contract at no increase in pay.

"Haha, you're fucked! Pay me this astronomical figure if you want me to sign." :cool:

"But we don't care if you sign." :confused:

"Oh, then how about this reasonable figure?" :oops:

Obviously Leslie is unpopular with the UFC for other reasons, but that was never a negotiation tactic that was going to work. What she doesn't seem to understand is that for the UFC, and for 99.95% of the fanbase, it makes no difference whether it's L. Smith or A.N. Other on the card.

I'm a fan, but even in an alternate reality where the UFC is broken up and promotions are competing to pay millions to guys like Cerrone, Leslie Smith was never going to get a much sweeter deal than she had in the UFC.

I'll be very interested to see what Bellator's willing to offer given there's no competition for her signature now :(

Back